Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2016, 11:15   #271
BHPian

Re: Alternative Medicine / Treatment Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUNKWN View Post
Do visit Patanjali Yogpeeth phase 1 in Haridwar and see Dr. Prabhat Kumar of panchakarma vibhag. 3 in my family have been there and benefited.
Are you talking about a cure or ongoing medication? TIA!
Old 6th March 2016, 21:08   #272
BHPian

I was diagnosed with a 9 mm kidney stone 2 weeks ago. I was on conventional pain killers till someone recommended homeopathy.
Homeopathic doctor next door prescribed burberis vulgaris and since she didn't have the medicine asked me to pick it up from a whole nearby. I have been on 10 drops twice a days and there has not been any pain subsequently. My doctor had to leave suddenly and I am not able lot contact her. Can someone advice how long should I take the medicine and how much ?
Old 8th April 2016, 16:34   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
Are you talking about a cure or ongoing medication? TIA!
Hi, I took the medicines for about 4 months. I would say I am almost cured now, touchwood!
Old 27th February 2017, 10:23   #274
Senior - BHPian

Hi, Bouncing this old thread on my query. Could not find a better thread to post my query. Request people to help/support

Since last 1 month, I am getting lower back pain and Allopathic medicine did not help much. Orthopedicians said, it is muscle spasms and suggested exercises along with physiotherapy and exercises. However it did not reduce the pain.

So, I tried Homeopathic medicines since last 2 weeks (Doctor said, it is Sciatica pain)and looks like it is coming to control. However, the doctor says, i need to continue with medicines at least for 4 months for complete cure.

When I discussed this with some of my friends, they all doubted the homeopathic medicine may contain steroids due to which pain is coming to control so fast. And many of them told this is common in homeopathy. Just to gain popularity, some doctors do this addition of steroids and try to reduce pain

Is this a fact ? If yes, where can I get the steroids test done for my medicines within Bangalore? Please suggest. Or should I just believe in Homeopathic medicines and go with them for next 4 months?
Old 27th February 2017, 12:33   #275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
Hi, Bouncing this old thread on my query. Could not find a better thread to post my query. Request people to help/support

Since last 1 month, I am getting lower back pain and Allopathic medicine did not help much. Orthopedicians said, it is muscle spasms and suggested exercises along with physiotherapy and exercises. However it did not reduce the pain.

So, I tried Homeopathic medicines since last 2 weeks (Doctor said, it is Sciatica pain)and looks like it is coming to control. However, the doctor says, i need to continue with medicines at least for 4 months for complete cure.

When I discussed this with some of my friends, they all doubted the homeopathic medicine may contain steroids due to which pain is coming to control so fast. And many of them told this is common in homeopathy. Just to gain popularity, some doctors do this addition of steroids and try to reduce pain

Is this a fact ? If yes, where can I get the steroids test done for my medicines within Bangalore? Please suggest. Or should I just believe in Homeopathic medicines and go with them for next 4 months?
Maybe sending over the sample medicine to a certified lab that can test for steroids can help.

Though i am not sure if such kind of facility is available in India. Would be interesting to know.
Old 27th February 2017, 14:48   #276
Distinguished - BHPian

Homeopathic medicines are the rationalist's bete noir. I confess: I try to be rational, but have had some good results from homeopathy.

Nobody is obliged to believe in any form of treatment. It is matter of choice: take it or leave it! If inclined to leave it, one should certainly not spend one's money on it, although homeopathic remedies are/should-be very cheap.

One of the reasons they are very cheap is that they contain nothing other than sugar/water. The "active ingredient" has been diluted beyond any reasonable chance that you are actually consuming even one molecule of it. This is correct and proper, according to how I understand the principles of homeopathy (admittedly: shallow and incomplete(.

But then we hear of an American over-the-counter "homeopathic" medicine being taken off sale because it contains unknown amounts of a poison plant and has been implicated in the deaths of babies. But by containing anything, it is failing as a homeopathic remedy.

If a homeopathic remedy were to contain, eg steroids, it would be a scam and probably illegal. In many countries in the world, one could get something done about this.
Old 27th February 2017, 14:56   #277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Homeopathic medicines are the rationalist's bete noir. I confess: I try to be rational, but have had some good results from homeopathy.
For what all diseases you had positive results, Thad.
Old 27th February 2017, 15:18   #278
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
For what all diseases ...
It is some time since I used to go to a homeopath back in UK. Particularly, I remember a time when I had an extremely sore throat and chest. I had told colleagues not to expect me back for a week or more. I was back at work the next day.

Yes, this is very unscientific: there was no Thad double with the same disease doing all the same things except taking the homeopathic remedy. Even with western medicine, it is still valid to say but it might have got better anyway.

I am very much aware that things generally do get better anyway (or need serious medical attention) and am particularly sceptical when people report that, after a long time, one treatment was used and it got cured. One exception to this is the cough that I had for five years, which all medicines, conventional and other, had failed to cure: surgery fixed it!
Old 27th February 2017, 15:42   #279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If a homeopathic remedy were to contain, eg steroids, it would be a scam and probably illegal. In many countries in the world, one could get something done about this.
This is exactly my worry. Doctors who are unable to cure the diseases by pure homeopathy are tempted to use illegal routes and make money. We have seen many such cases in past. Hence, wanted to check if there is a lab in Bangalore who can test the steroid content in the sample tablets and confirm back.

if there are no steroids and it is pure homeopathic medicine, I will be glad to use it for 4 more months and get cured.

Please let me know if there are any labs in Bangalore to conduct steroid test.
Old 27th February 2017, 15:51   #280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is some time since I used to go to a homeopath back in UK. Particularly, I remember a time when I had an extremely sore throat and chest. I had told colleagues not to expect me back for a week or more. I was back at work the next day.
Usually for homeopathic medicine, they tend to cure sore throat within a week time and without medication it usually takes seven days.

Yeah, if we compare the exposure we humans had on scientific medical remedies vs evolution(ahem, if you believe, that is), it is not even comparable. So, our human body is evolved to fight certain diseases without medication. Anyway, I know you are aware of the limitations of the theories governing homeopathy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
if there are no steroids and it is pure homeopathic medicine, I will be glad to use it for 4 more months and get cured.

Please let me know if there are any labs in Bangalore to conduct steroid test.
Yes buddy, better test it and be sure. When my sister had taken alternative medicine, on my dad's advice, conducted periodic blood test to make sure that she was not taking any steroids or heavy metals. It was because of my mom and cousins, my sister went this route as modern medicine didn't have any cure for her condition.

Last edited by ecenandu : 27th February 2017 at 16:03.
Old 27th February 2017, 16:28   #281
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Usually for homeopathic medicine, they tend to cure sore throat within a week time and without medication it usually takes seven days.
Oh, indeed. Same with conventional medicine and colds, etc. One week with, seven days without. The best the medicines can do is to make the symptoms a little easier to live with.
Old 27th February 2017, 20:15   #282
BHPian

Quote:
I had told colleagues not to expect me back for a week or more. I was back at work
Ditto experience here as well. A bout of sore throat which usually requires 3 days of antibiotics to get rid of, was miraculously cured in a single day by a homoeopathic medicine.
I thought I had found the best system of medicine. A few weeks later, a viral fever took hold and after 3 days of homoeopathic medicine, I had to run back to the antibiotics.

Personally, I don't think homoeopathy is effective.

A friend of mine had excellent results for back pain after he enrolled for swimming on the suggestion of his doctor. HTH
Old 1st March 2017, 13:44   #283
Distinguished - BHPian

A relative is looking for ayurvedic treatment for bone-cancer. The person is currently on chemo. Is there anyone they can consult in Kerala / Karnataka, or even Pune.
Old 1st March 2017, 13:48   #284
Team-BHP Support

http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/abou...vedic-medicine
Old 1st March 2017, 14:20   #285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
A relative is looking for ayurvedic treatment for bone-cancer. The person is currently on chemo. Is there anyone they can consult in Kerala / Karnataka, or even Pune.
I don't know what stage cancer your relative have but as Samurai has rightly pointed out there are no scientific proofs that shows it works on humans.

My father was diagnosed with bone cancer in 1989, by the time it got detected it has spread to his lungs and few other places. Luckily they where able to remove those tumors. My dad took the extreme step and amputated his right leg, well that was the logical step to increase the chance of survival. He continued with chemo and has beaten the cancer against all odds.

Maybe, you can also find similar anecdotes from ayurvedic treatment as well. I don't know Condor, please take a rational choice. If it is a stage 1 cancer, then there is greater chance to cure the cancer.

If you go ayurvedic route, atleast do medical check up regularly to see whether it is working or not.

Best of luck to your relative, be strong and shower him/her with encouragement. That is the best thing you can do in this situation, my mom was the pillar to my dad during that time, didn't show any sympathy rather encouraged him to continue consultation and was by his side always.

Last edited by ecenandu : 1st March 2017 at 14:21.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks