Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2017, 15:04   #316
Senior - BHPian

Re: Alternative Medicine / Treatment Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Yes, There are black sheep in every profession. However my point is that there are many effective alternative treatments available.

Saintly rishi's have long given way to modern ayurvedic factories. Many of them in Kerala grow their own herbs, their own goat/cow farms for the ghee, and manufacture medicines in house in GMP certified facilities. Make a trip to Kerala and see how the world has changed.
I've used massages from the kottakal arya vaidya shala for my back pains (dating back to a fall from my bike in 2000-01). Those do help.
Old 11th April 2017, 15:22   #317
rkg
Senior - BHPian

There is another reliable ayurveda pharmacy/vaidyasala in Andhra Pradesh. Very old one. It is Sri Venkateswara Ayurveda Nilayam, Chintaluru. It is just few km from Chennai-Calcutta highway. One has to take right turn immediately after Ravulapalem bridge if they are coming from Chennai.

http://www.vanchintaluru.com
Old 11th April 2017, 17:18   #318
Senior - BHPian

I have a couple of relatives using Patanjali products, especially their powders and churna for digestion and general wellness. They were all gaga about how a few powders helped them with digestion problem during long travel or when they eat outside food for long etc.

Does Patanjali work like over the counter drug stores? Can I just walk in and buy anything that I want without a prescription?

I checked their website and it seems I can order anything that I want and get it delivered. Don't they ask for prescriptions given that their herbal medicines are after all medicines?
Old 11th April 2017, 17:52   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Can I just walk in and buy anything that I want without a prescription?

I checked their website and it seems I can order anything that I want and get it delivered. Don't they ask for prescriptions given that their herbal medicines are after all medicines?
Most of their shops, have a resident doctor who can help you out with prescription.
Old 11th April 2017, 18:19   #320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Most of their shops, have a resident doctor who can help you out with prescription.
What I meant was that they are willing to ship anything you want to your doorstep and some of the stuff retailing on the website is actually medicinal.

I'm assuming if they can ship anything without prescription they would be willing to give each of these powders/vatis etc. OTC without prescription at their physical stores.

Shouldn't there be a prescription before one can buy medicines even if they are from Patanjali?

EDIT: Just found out that they even sell Shilajit, isn't it dangerous if taken in excess.
Old 11th April 2017, 19:22   #321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
What I meant was that they are willing to ship anything you want to your doorstep and some of the stuff retailing on the website is actually medicinal.

I'm assuming if they can ship anything without prescription they would be willing to give each of these powders/vatis etc. OTC without prescription at their physical stores.

Shouldn't there be a prescription before one can buy medicines even if they are from Patanjali?

EDIT: Just found out that they even sell Shilajit, isn't it dangerous if taken in excess.
I think only Herbal Suppliments can be sent over the counter. Just like Vitamin suppliments of Allopathy can be had over the counter.

Shilajit is classified as suppliment - and not a medicine, as per my knowledge.
Old 11th April 2017, 22:08   #322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
I think only Herbal Suppliments can be sent over the counter. Just like Vitamin suppliments of Allopathy can be had over the counter.

Shilajit is classified as suppliment - and not a medicine, as per my knowledge.

I placed an order and cancelled it later. Selected random powders, vatis etc. that were meant for pretty serious diseases under Ayurvedic Medicine. Basically nothing on their website is restricted unlike 1mg website which asks for prescription.

You'd be surprised by the kind of reviews these patanjali medicines have on amazon.com (not .in)

I'm kind of tempted to try the ones that are for boosting strength and energy as I do strength training.

From what I've researched today the ingredients make perfect sense for certain ailments going by various articles but there aren't many studies or papers backing these up. Maybe allopathic has money riding while ayurvedic medicine was never about earning money (of course until our babaji came in).
Old 11th April 2017, 22:21   #323
BHPian

Hi

Homeopathy is one of the most unscientifi of the lot; Homeopathy disregards pathogens! A system of "Medicine" which does not admit to the effect of pathogens should not even be considered as one.

It is simply a magic remedy!

Cheers
Old 12th January 2019, 20:34   #324
BHPian

Re: Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
I am opening this thread to share my dad's experience as well as to know more about how others are managing this disease.

Regards
I would share some videos on Ayurveda for you to watch and I hope your father would get the intended benefits. Wish him good health.

Old 22nd January 2019, 00:51   #325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhardwhu View Post
I would share some videos on Ayurveda for you to watch and I hope your father would get the intended benefits. Wish him good health.

Thanks for the links.

One question people: It is possible to continue allopathic treatment if one starts on Ayurvedic treatment? Asking since he cannot really be off the steroids. Colitis flares up as soon as the steroid dosage is reduced.

There are a few patanjali clinics near where my dad lives. Not sure how good they are. Are they just for selling medicines or qualified Ayurved doctors sit there? And is there a variation in the skills of the doctors?

Last edited by download2live : 22nd January 2019 at 00:53.
Old 22nd January 2019, 02:25   #326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Thanks for the links.

One question people: It is possible to continue allopathic treatment if one starts on Ayurvedic treatment? Asking since he cannot really be off the steroids. Colitis flares up as soon as the steroid dosage is reduced.

There are a few patanjali clinics near where my dad lives. Not sure how good they are. Are they just for selling medicines or qualified Ayurved doctors sit there? And is there a variation in the skills of the doctors?
I would cite my own sister-in-law's case, who was diagnosed with SLE at a young age of 27. She went through a near death experience and since then we have moved her to Ayurvedic medicines after getting her evaluated at Patanjali clinic in Haridwar. She is doing fine now and had been taking both medications before she reduced allopathic vastly, after about three years.

Patanjali stores do have physicians, qualified ayurvedic doctors, who may be able to diagnose your dad's case but we found Haidwar to be better equipped.

Regards
Old 22nd January 2019, 04:50   #327
Senior - BHPian

Please definitely have your father do the yoga and eat healthier, as it helps increase fitness and reduce stress, both of which will reduce colitis.

Don't mix Ayurveda / other systems with regularly prescribed medicine. You can't predict side effects from interaction even when the ayurvedic medicines are pure - and previous lab tests across many ayurvedic manufacturers show that quite a few of them adulterate their products with actual medicine for it to show an effect.
Old 22nd January 2019, 11:04   #328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashokkp View Post
Hi

Homeopathy is one of the most unscientifi of the lot; Homeopathy disregards pathogens! A system of "Medicine" which does not admit to the effect of pathogens should not even be considered as one.

It is simply a magic remedy!

Cheers
I would love to agree with your statements but this magic remedy cured me of tonsils, leucoderma (to a large extent) and my dog of hematoma.

Maybe me and my dog believe in magic.
Old 22nd January 2019, 12:03   #329
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I would love to agree with your statements but this magic remedy cured me of tonsils, leucoderma (to a large extent) and my dog of hematoma.

Or:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Don't mix Ayurveda / other systems with regularly prescribed medicine. You can't predict side effects from interaction even when the ayurvedic medicines are pure - and previous lab tests across many ayurvedic manufacturers show that quite a few of them adulterate their products with actual medicine for it to show an effect.
I would just like to add that this uncontrolled adulteration will disregard safe dosage levels and other potential side effects.
Old 22nd January 2019, 13:06   #330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The concept of "water memory" in homeo means if you dilute the alleged active ingredient till even molecular traces of it don't remain, it is supposedly more powerful the more it is diluted. Which is scientifically impossible.

The placebo effect however endures that even if you got just sugar pills in an alcoholic tincture (which is all homeopathic medicine effectively is), your mind tends to cure you if whatever it is, in some cases - the illness just plain goes away.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks