Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2009, 11:02   #1
BHPian

Alternative Medicine / Treatment Options

I have been treated by allopathy medicines since the time I remember. It's been only since the last 2 years or so that I've been starting to look at natural remedies and alternative medicines (homeopathy & ayurveda).

I've heard that for homeopathy it is important for the doctor to know your medical history extensively. So I am not sure whether I can change to homeopathy now. I do not have any chronic problem and this is just for regular coughs/cold/severe acidity/fever/indigestion/back pain, etc.

If someone is following these non-allopathic medications, can they outline the pros and cons of each? I am aware that allopathy is not bad and it has served me well - but as I said each has its own pros and cons and I'd like to know them to make an informed decision.

This is more for my 8 month old kid. Till date, we are only giving him the regular ayurvedic medicines (which are supposed to boost his immunity) and do not have any side effects. And thankfully, he has not fell ill (touch wood) except the mild cold that he is having now. I am thinking of opting for ayurveda or homeopathy depending on their pros and cons.
Old 22nd June 2009, 11:16   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Kalpesh, what's the direction of this question ? Are you looking for preventive medicine / treatment ?

No matter which system you follow, a LOT depends on the person who is treating, and also the person being treated.
Old 22nd June 2009, 11:40   #3
BANNED

Let us look at the issue in another way.

While Allopathy is aimed at and excels in handling acute troubles. Older methods like Ayurveda, Homoeopathy, Unani, etc. are excellent in handling chronic problems.

One problem which is coming out is that far too many Ayurveda practitioners in their search for 'instant nirvana' sometimes add cortisone to their medicines.
Old 22nd June 2009, 11:44   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Kalpesh, what's the direction of this question ? Are you looking for preventive medicine / treatment ?

No matter which system you follow, a LOT depends on the person who is treating, and also the person being treated.
I am looking at identifying the pros and cons of each of these treatments. And yes, preventive treatment is definitely something that I am interested in.

I do understand that unless the doctor is good and the patient is receptive - all treatments may fail. I've also heard (i know it may be far from the truth) and it may just be a misconception that allopathy tends to be harsh on the body and has more side effects than other medicines. Naturopathy for example is considered very receptive for the human body.

Last edited by kalpeshc : 22nd June 2009 at 11:47.
Old 22nd June 2009, 11:53   #5
Senior - BHPian

The Big Problem is Homeopathy is labelled as mere Placebo Effect.While Ayurveda sure grows some respect.

There is Reiki,Pranic Healing,Qi gong etc which I don't know how it works.May be,they also might have been categorized under Placebo Effect

Last edited by deepclutch : 22nd June 2009 at 12:01.
Old 22nd June 2009, 13:06   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
I've heard that for homeopathy it is important for the doctor to know your medical history extensively. So I am not sure whether I can change to homeopathy now. I do not have any chronic problem and this is just for regular coughs/cold/severe acidity/fever/indigestion/back pain, etc.

If someone is following these non-allopathic medications, can they outline the pros and cons of each?
I am a big follower of homeopathy. Started this about 8 or 9 years ago and have had the most amazing and positive experience with it!!! Would never go back to "normal" medicine.

First of all, let me tell you that your doctor does not need to know your entire medical history. Of course, you need to tell him a bit about yourself but that's it. You will take it forward together from there. If there is something your doctor needs to know beyond he will ask you.

What you need to do when getting treatment though is to describe your symptoms as accurate and detailed as possible. This is necessary for determining the right homeopathic remedy.

When the right remedy is chosen homeopathy can cure you faster than any allopathic medicine might do. And I am talking from own experience! The mechansim of action in homeopathy is based on the law of similars, also known as "like cures like". You actually stimulate the symptoms you have to cure yourself. No unwanted side-effects or anything as everything is purely natural!

Of course, there are limitations to homeopathy though I have often got around having to take antibiotics or other heavy mediaction.

One more important thing: you need a GOOD homeopath! Otherwise it can be a bit frustrating.
Old 22nd June 2009, 13:44   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
The Big Problem is Homeopathy is labelled as mere Placebo Effect.While Ayurveda sure grows some respect.
I have great respect for Ayurveda and Yunani medicines.

I used to make a lot of fun of Homeopathy. Sugar balls, gay medicine etc.

TheOne® has her own little homeopathy medicine chest and insists on using it on herself and me (despite my repeated jokes) and my respect for it is growing a little everyday.

I would not call it placebo by far.
Old 22nd June 2009, 14:03   #8
BHPian

Thanks for the informative feedback. I too have seen and heard about Ayurveda and some of the recoveries are just unbelievable. Although, before starting it for my kid when the time comes, I want to be aware of the various disadvantages of it.

E.g. I am under the impression that allopathic medicines work instantaneously and give you a quicker relief, even though at times it means that it just curtails the illness rather than eliminates it completely whereas homeopathy and ayurveda are slow working medicines but they are extremely effective and there are less chances of a relapse.

BTW - What Sam mentioned as sugar balls is practiced in homeopathy and not ayurveda, isn't it?
Old 22nd June 2009, 14:59   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
BTW - What Sam mentioned as sugar balls is practiced in homeopathy and not ayurveda, isn't it?
Correct. Sugar balls is strictly homeopathy. Ayurveda generally has really bad-tasting vegetable stuff, lol.
Old 22nd June 2009, 15:07   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the informative feedback. I too have seen and heard about Ayurveda and some of the recoveries are just unbelievable. Although, before starting it for my kid when the time comes, I want to be aware of the various disadvantages of it.

E.g. I am under the impression that allopathic medicines work instantaneously and give you a quicker relief, even though at times it means that it just curtails the illness rather than eliminates it completely whereas homeopathy and ayurveda are slow working medicines but they are extremely effective and there are less chances of a relapse.

Yes, Sam means homeopathy - check his post again lol.

I would like to correct you in one matter: I have often heard people say that homeopathy is slow working... This is nonsense, sorry! It all depends on you and your doctor! If he gives you the right remedy homeopathy shows almost always immediate effect. Sometimes however, when symptoms are not described well or cannot be clearly placed you may need to try another remedy before getting the wanted result. And at other times, depending on what symptoms you have and how they change when healing you may need to change the remedy as well.

An example (one out of many):
Christmas 4 years ago - the day before Christmas Eve - I woke up feeling very ill. I could hardly turn my head due to a severe pain, my tonsils were all swollen and I couldn't swallow, my muscles hurt with every movement - to make it short: I was a complete mess! And it was Christmas, damned.

As I am on the phone trying to reach my doctor my sister comes out of her room with similar symptoms but even worse. Some virus we guessed! We talked to our doctor, described our state. He told us what to take and to call back in a few hours.

3 or 4 hours later my tonsils were almost back to normal, the rest was not fine yet though a tiiiny bit better. My sister was fast asleep, I didn't want to wake her up. I called my doctor again, told him the news. He said that was very good and to change the medicine to something else now. If my sister progresses like I do she should do the same otherwise call again.

My sis and I took our "sugarballs" (as Sam likes to call them), slept and kept ourselves company in our miserable state.

9.30 am next morning (Christmas day for us in Germany).

RING RING RING - I wake up with a start, the phone. I get out of bed, run to the phone. I have a feeling... Yes, it is my doc!

- So, how are you?
- Wait, you just got me out of bed lol.
Shaking my head, swallowing, moving around...
- Actually, everything feels fine. A little exhausted still but good.
- Perfect. And your sister?
- Hmmm... wait, let me see.
Going to her room, waking her up. Except for a little cold left she too was okay.
- Fantastic! Enjoy your Christmas holidays girls.
- THANKS doc!

I have encountered situations like these many many times. It needs an experienced homeopath though. Since I live in India I am trying to find the right remedy myself with the little advisory book I have at hand and with the knowledge I accumulated over the years. Sometimes I am lucky, sometimes I need a bit longer as I didn't immediately guess the right remedy. If it is something severe though I will always counsel my doctor.

The good thing about homeopathy is that even when you take the wrong medicine it does not harm you. It just simply does not show any effect or improvement.

And about your child: homeopathy is ideal for children, too. My sister has three children as you might know by now lol. They all grow up with homeopathy - since they were babies!

Last edited by TheOne® : 22nd June 2009 at 15:20.
Old 22nd June 2009, 15:14   #11
BHPian

For your kid I would suggest to stick to Ayurveda and Homeopathy for developing immunity.

But please dont turn away from the new medicine practices as they are really good at providing immediate relief.
Old 22nd June 2009, 15:39   #12
Senior - BHPian

How about trying YOGA? Many have given positives feedback on getting improvement in handling chronic diseases. Ex
Old 22nd June 2009, 15:49   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
How about trying YOGA? Many have given positives feedback on getting improvement in handling chronic diseases. Ex
You would do yoga to treat a cough, cold or a fever?
kalpeshc mentioned he doesn't have any chronic problem, just looking for alternatives to allopathy in general.
Old 22nd June 2009, 15:55   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOne® View Post
You would do yoga to treat a cough, cold or a fever?
kalpeshc mentioned he doesn't have any chronic problem, just looking for alternatives to allopathy in general.
Yes, have heard friends saying that cold and cough too is getting better. Guess indigestion and back pain too in the list of Kalpeshc. My brother benefited a lot from yoga in handling his back pain

Edit: Link

Last edited by Surprise : 22nd June 2009 at 16:05.
Old 22nd June 2009, 15:57   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOne® View Post
my tonsils were all swollen and I couldn't swallow
TheOne,
The sugar in the pills are just the carrier. Usually a liquid medicine is mixed with these sugar pills". Remember the song "A spoonfull of sugar helps the medicine go down"?

I used to suffer from severe tonsils when I was a child. It used to be accompanied by very high fever (104F+) and halucinations (Sam stop laughing, I was 8 or 9 then).

Funny even now I can recolllect the halucinations (I am serious). My whole head felt like it was going to explode and when I lay down I used to feel like my body was spinning (no it was not a hangover, I was 8 or 9). This fever would usually last for a week or so.

"When I was a child I had a fever. My hands felt just like two balloons.
Now I got that feeling once again. I cant explain, you would not understand.
This is not how I am"

- Pink Floyd.

The doc I was taken to recommended surgery. my father believed in surgery only as a last resort and then someone recommended something called 'Tonsilon' from a company called German Remedies (I think - this was 30+ years ago). All I know was it worked. Fast. I have never suffered from tonsils again. I'm told that this 'Tonsilon' stuff was homeopathy.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks