Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2010, 16:57   #76
BHPian

Well my view point, I have a disorder called Psoraisis since 2001 for which there is no known allop. medicine. i am taking homeopathy medicines and keeping it under control and am quite happy about the same. so it depends on ones belief and faith towards any course of medical treatment. If you have faith then go ahead and take the course which you are comfortable in.
Old 18th May 2010, 16:58   #77
BHPian

+1 to Samurai san's suggestion about agreeing to disagreeing.

@e1t1bet - Sorry for being a bit a bit personal, but your opinions against homeopathy seems quite strong enough to be just a small disagreement. It is as if homeopathy has directly/indirectly affected the health of you or your near and dear ones negatively.

I am not a believer but have strong faith in anything that can cure my child's current condition. I've tried allopathy and have not found an answer. I have tried naturopathy and it works but want a milder way out. Homeopathy may have the answers that I am looking for.
Old 18th May 2010, 17:02   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
e1t1bet, if you want to disagree, do it nicely without causing offence. If you can't maintain that basic decency in communication, it is better not to post at all on Team-BHP.

Calling other people's views as nonsense doesn't make your viewpoint correct. I am going by my life experience. I have seen enough non-allopathy cures that worked so well, the allopathy doctors didn't have a clue how it worked.
From Nonsense | Define Nonsense at Dictionary.com:

Quote:
Nonsense:
words or language having little or no sense or meaning.
Homoeopathy is not scientifically backed, is actually rejected by almost all scientists, goes against the basic tenets of physics and chemistry. Forget scientists, anyone with elementary knowledge of Chemistry should be able to see that most homoepathic medicines have no therapeutic elements in them (barring the qualities of the base, ie water or alcohol, and sugar)
Thus, claiming that it cures the root causes of diseases, amounts to exactly as I put it; "nonsense"
Second, I don't think Team-bhp stands for selling medieval BS to its readers and is against anyone who takes a scientific stand against such nonsense. If that is not so, and team-bhp "recommends" homoepathy, as opposed to scientific medication and is against anyone with integrity who wants to discredit absurd theories, I'd be happy to not associate myself with such a board.
e1t1bet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2010, 17:05   #79
BHPian

I'd been keeping an open mind all along but after reading the contradictory views and referring to a whole lot of websites I must say I am with the skeptics. Homeopathy can't possibly work scientifically. Of course, I'm not claiming it doesn't work at all. It's quite likely that homeopathy may work much the same way as snake oil or prayer does. The human mind is a highly susceptible one. If people think they are benefited by rubbish such as reiki, numerology and astrology, why not homeopathy?

Will someone who claims homeopathy is a science kindly explain (in layman's terms if possible) what exactly is the "science" behind it? "It's always worked for me" is a subjective opinion, not objective proof. The argument "there are miraculous things that we can't comprehend" doesn't hold water either. Allopathy may have its drawbacks, but it doesn't depend on vague incomprehensibilites. It relies on rigorous, independent, peer-reviewed research and double-blind tests. Anyone who's studied basic chemistry in high school and knows the significance of Avogadro's number would find the entire premise behind homeopathy highly dubious. And that's putting it mildly.

Here's a site that explains the hocus-pocus in detail: Homeopathy: The Ultimate Fake
Old 18th May 2010, 17:06   #80
BHPian

All forms of medicines/surgical procedures/treatment modalities have a sufficient amount of placebo effect. It is not aimed at a single branch of medicine, placebo itself is a cure/prevention.

Yes, there are studies that indicate holistic approach more evident in Homeopathy and Ayurveda, even Physiotherapy, Acupunture and Shiatsu. These therapies are also categorised as faith based treatments.

As an example:- At least 20% doctors (MD/MS) prescribe a drug named XXXzolam to patients who complain of insomnia. Whereas the prescribed drug is a low level antidepressant (anti-anxiety). Here is the placebo effect, when the patient feels a little dull or many times nothing, feels he/she is being given a potent sleeping pill. Just the thought of the pill being taken, the person starts getting sleep.

Example no 2:- How many pain relieving creams do really work in reducing joint pains or nervous pains? Well not quite. The mechanism of action of an anti-inflammatory ointment is just rubbing over the affected part of the body. It is the emotion of treating pain which actually does the relief. A warm effect is felt on the affected skin and its subcutanous layer. Does it absorb and resurface a worn bone joint? Controlled trials have been going on to prove its efficacy, and they will go on.

Example No3:- Acupuncture, also regarded as Oriental or Alternative Therapy is backed by sham treatment of meridians or placebo. There is a clash of medical beliefs between allopathic science and Acupuncture because meridians dont have a physical mapping on the human body. Yet is believed to be effective.

Placebo is a wonder medicine, no one can run down such a medical blessing.

@ Edsel Rulez, Quackwatch.com has millions of cases and articles on various types of treatments and sciences. A comprehensive search is required to access contradictory stuff. The content of quackwatch.com is not governed by a statutory body who has global standing. It does not have Mayoclinic-FDA-BMA-NIH or Indian MCI alliance.

Dr Farokh Master is a leading Homeopath of the Asian region, available at Gamdevi, Mumbai. His assistant Dr Piroja Bharucha is also a known homeopath at Parel, Mumbai.

Last edited by dr.faramroze : 18th May 2010 at 17:18. Reason: was left incomplete
Old 18th May 2010, 17:07   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
So you mean to say that Every instance of serious illness & chronic conditions cured by homoeopathy is just placebo effect ?
And any "educated" person will tell you the same. Just like every instance of "I have seen a ghost" is a delusion.
Old 18th May 2010, 17:08   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1t1bet View Post
Much of what is known are unequivocal "facts". We know for a "fact" the mechanism of how molecules dissolve in a solvent. The basic tenet of homeopathy goes against it.

The therapeutic effects of Homeopathy are attributed to the placebo effect (Placebo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

A systematic review of systematic reviews of homeopathy
Homeopathy for Childhood and Adolescence Ailments: Systematic Review of Randomized Clinical Trials ? Mayo Clinic Proceedings
I agree, the insane dilutions and potencies about Homeopathy medicines is something which makes me laugh - but strangely - for normal dilutions - the stuff has been working on me.

And regarding placebo - if placebo actually works - we wouldn't have any medicines at all.
Old 18th May 2010, 17:08   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

@e1t1bet, IMO, your arguments look quite like the points you are arguing with. You still seem to be quoting from various sources, and you expect the people participating in this discussion to give up the results they have experienced, for the quoted material you have provided us with ? Results that homoeopathy has worked better for them than allopathy ?

Havent you heard of the saying that the proof of the pudding is in the eating ?
Old 18th May 2010, 17:12   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
@e1t1bet - Sorry for being a bit a bit personal, but your opinions against homeopathy seems quite strong enough to be just a small disagreement. It is as if homeopathy has directly/indirectly affected the health of you or your near and dear ones negatively.
I might sound acerbic, but I am sensitive to these things. There are few things in this world that are more despicable than selling fake medicines to a desperate, and credulous, person trying to save his own life, or the life of his loved ones.

Quote:
Results that homoeopathy has worked better for them than allopathy ?
I didn't respond to those on purpose. Anecdotal evidences amount to NOTHING. Show me a study. approved by a scientific body, that shows that homeopathy has any effect other than placebo, and I'll buy it.

Last edited by Jaggu : 19th May 2010 at 19:07. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Multi (Quote +) instead, Thanks
e1t1bet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2010, 17:17   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhatau View Post
Well my view point, I have a disorder called Psoraisis since 2001 for which there is no known allop. medicine. i am taking homeopathy medicines and keeping it under control and am quite happy about the same. so it depends on ones belief and faith towards any course of medical treatment. If you have faith then go ahead and take the course which you are comfortable in.
Which medicine does your doctor prescribe for you...
Old 18th May 2010, 17:22   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.faramroze View Post
Dr Farokh Master is a leading Homeopath of the Asian region, available at Gamdevi, Mumbai. His assistant Dr Piroja Bharucha is also a known homeopath at Parel, Mumbai.
Well in the midst of all the discussion, Kalpesh, here is your answer to the question posted by you initially.

I have been following nature cure methods for the last 2 years and take homeo medicines only when the condition is acute.
Old 18th May 2010, 17:29   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
e1t1bet : I might sound acerbic, but I am sensitive to these things.
So our fellow member's point doesnt look too way out. If you have had a bad experience, you have had a bad experience with one, or some people in some situations. Your opinion is based on that.

Just as you feel that way, there are people who feel the opposite, and are comfortable with what they have. They are not going to change their views as much as you will not change your views.

Quote:
e1t1bet : I didn't respond to those on purpose. Anecdotal evidences amount to NOTHING. Show me a study.
You are not being forced to try it or do anything about it. While you chose to respond or ignore to the questions put to you, there's nothing much that you are showing for as proof that it does not work. And you will never be able to disprove to the people who have benefitted from it, that it does not work. Because for these people, (me included), the study is their own cases.

And what is anecdotal ? Me sharing what has worked for me is an anecdote for myself & by me ? If I see by myself something that has worked for someone in my proximity - is it an anecdote ?

The way this thread has been going, I dont see anything constructive in the discussion. Since you dont believe, and have gone to the point of expressing your desire to not be part of a forum where people have believed in what has worked for them, I suggest WE atleast do not continue the discussion any more.

Mods, over to you.

Last edited by condor : 18th May 2010 at 17:36.
Old 18th May 2010, 17:32   #88
BHPian

Add one more person who got a permanent cure to an acute problem via the so called "Witchcraft" Homeopathy.

I had major issues with tonsillitis during my childhood days. Allopathic treatment suggested surgery as the only way out and one time when the situation went really out of control had to take several shots of penicillin vaccine.

Then my parents decided to try homeopathy. A German homeopathic medicine called Tonsillotron was prescribed for ~6 months and ever since the treatment completed, I never ever had a problem of tonsillitis in the last 20 years. The medicine was pricey for those days though.

Call it Witchcraft or Voodoo Art, I’m a 100% believer in Homeopathy.
Old 18th May 2010, 17:33   #89
Team-BHP Support

Lot of controversy regarding Homeopathy
Pulse - BMA leaders hit out at homeopathy 'witchcraft'
BMA called it witchcraft
Other news related to this
Homeopathy is a black magic- Says British Medical Association | Top News
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/al...y-doctors.html

Expect a lot of storm in the medical world regarding homeopathy. Witchcraft or not, there are hundreds you swear by it and hundreds who say its placebo

Now the statement "Allopathy treats symptoms" is very funny. In many cases allopathy treats symptoms, for example Paracetamol, but in other cases it does treat the root cause, for example Norflox for stomach infection.
Old 18th May 2010, 17:36   #90
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1t1bet View Post
I didn't respond to those on purpose. Anecdotal evidences amount to NOTHING. Show me a study. approved by a scientific body, that shows that homeopathy has any effect other than placebo, and I'll buy it.
Looks like you only believe in studies which are mostly funded by pharmacy companies.

Quote:
The way this thread has been going, I dont see anything constructive in the discussion. Since you dont believe, and have expressed your desire to not be part of a forum where people have believed in what has worked for them, I suggest WE do not continue the discussion any more.

Mods, over to you.
We are looking into this, action will soon follow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Now the statement "Allopathy treats symptoms" is very funny. In many cases allopathy treats symptoms, for example Paracetamol, but in other cases it does treat the root cause, for example Norflox for stomach infection.
I said mostly it treats symptoms, I didn't make an absolute statement.

Last edited by Samurai : 18th May 2010 at 17:40.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks