Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2010, 12:41   #121
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
The nerve that you mention and the nerve described in Anatomy ( as in allopathic medicine) are completely different. The word nerve has a definite definition, structure, function, course etc, whereas the nerve as you mention may not be the nerve defined in anatomy. Most commonly people refer to veins seen on the skin surface as nerves. These carry blood and have no relation to transmission of sensory or motor messages. The nerves described in anatomy cannot be seen on surface and some can be felt at defined surface markings.
I guess you are right, may be the nerve here is as referred in pressure point techniques which are used in both kalari treatment as well as combat purpose.
Old 21st May 2010, 15:04   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Allopathy mostly treats symptoms and Ayurveda/Homeopathy treats the root cause. Take your pick.
[quote
I said mostly it treats symptoms, I didn't make an absolute statement.[/quote]

I spent 11 & 1/2 yrs(5.5+3+3) in medical college in understanding the root cause of the diseases and its treatment as described in the allopathic system. And I am still learning. In the allopathic system there is a fair and clear idea as to the root cause of most diseases as our system understands it or there is a constant search going on.

I felt a little bad/sad on reading such a sweeping comment from somebody educated in another stream of science. Left me wondering whether those 11 odd yrs of toil was really worth it. I agree, it is us allopathic practitioners who hardly have time to communicate with the patient are partly to blame for this.

Do the alternative systems have their own understanding of the diseases or do they treat the root cause as understood by the allopathic sytems?. I have no knowledge of the alternative systems and am commenting based on commonality of terms being used.

Last edited by Deep Blue : 21st May 2010 at 15:05. Reason: Spelling correction
Old 21st May 2010, 15:14   #123
Team-BHP Support

Deep Blue,

We are done discussing allopathy here. Similar or even worst sweeping statements about alternative medicine too has been done. Allopathy guys can compare alternative medicine to witchcraft/lucky shirt, but allopathy is a holy cow?

Let's please stick to alternative medicine here.
Old 21st May 2010, 15:39   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Deep Blue : Do the alternative systems have their own understanding of the diseases or do they treat the root cause as understood by the allopathic sytems?.
@Deep Blue, any system will have it's way of approaching a condition. So would homoeopathy or ayurveda.

Reg the above comment by Samurai, one reason could be because of the way these systems appear to treat the same condition.
Old 21st May 2010, 23:13   #125
BHPian

@ samurai : Alternative medicine practitioners have every reason to not only feel little bad/sad but downright insulted when anybody without any knowledge of the system calls the system witchcraft/mumbo jumbo and what not.
Allopathy is no holy cow, please discuss it, tear it apart in another thread if need be. That is the only way it progesses.
I have detailed my experiences with homeopathy, no this is my experience with Ayurveda. This is as told by my mother to me now as I was hardly 6 or 7yrs old that time. My mother, about 30yrs back suffered acute pain in the back of the neck and stiffness in the neck which prevented her from attending to daily duties as well. My parents decided on Ayurveda and dispatched an inland letter detailing the symptoms to the famous Kottakal ayurveda centre in Kerala. Soon enough, she got a reply(Postal medicine, precursor of telemedicine?) from the centre diagnosing the condition as " Vadha or Vathadosha" and was prescribed some oils for massage and some arishtam(liquid medicine). After 2-3 months of diligent usage, the pain and stiffness completely disappeared and till today 30yrs later, she has not had that problem again. Today, I am simply unable to explain the whole thing in any rational "allopathic"way. And I am equally amazed at the cost effectiveness of the whole treatment solution.
Old 12th June 2010, 18:19   #126
BHPian

I am glad to find this thread.

Homeopathy is my hobby. I read about 200 books on homeopathy and own an equal number. My family stopped using allopathy about 8 years ago. We depend solely on homeopathy.

The problems I could treat with homeopathy include cervical spondylosis, Disc prolapse, Cervical displasia stage IV, PMS, heel spurs , just to name a few.

Homeopathy is a very effective therapy. At the same time a difficult subject to master.

I will first answer the negative posts about homeopathy one by one and try to clarify the misgivings about homeopathy.

Murthy
Old 12th June 2010, 20:35   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinimurthy View Post
I am glad to find this thread.

Homeopathy is my hobby. I read about 200 books on homeopathy and own an equal number.
Hi Murthy

Welcome to the forum. Its nice to see here some one with expertise on medicine. I just have a query from you. You said homeopathy is your hobby. Is it safe or legal to practice this medicine without being registered as a doctor? Is n't acquiring knowledge from books and practicing on own family members (or anyone for that matter) risky? Just for knowledge sake if you dont mind.
Old 12th June 2010, 21:16   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacho View Post
Homeopathy 'medicines' don't have side effects because they don't have any effect at all. They are just water. Please don't rely solely on homeopathic treatment when it comes to children.
This is the typical skeptic's view. They make comments like these without really understanding what is homeopathy. In all probability they never tried homeopathy.

My grand daughters aged 11 and 6 were never given any allopathic medicine so far. All their day to day problems get resolved with homeopathic medicines.

The proof of the pudding is in eating. If someone says he tried homeopathy but it didn't work we can analyse why it didn't work. However many people just brush it aside and condemn it without ever trying it.

I will explain the difference between plain water and homeopathic potencies in later posts.

Murthy
Old 12th June 2010, 21:44   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
Hi Murthy

Welcome to the forum. Its nice to see here some one with expertise on medicine. I just have a query from you. You said homeopathy is your hobby. Is it safe or legal to practice this medicine without being registered as a doctor? Is n't acquiring knowledge from books and practicing on own family members (or anyone for that matter) risky? Just for knowledge sake if you dont mind.
Many people use crocin or aspirin or brufen on their own. Of course they know their indications and use them for minor issues. I am sure you won't ask them if it is legal.

Similarly the homeopathic learners too start with minor problems and gradually take up more complicated cases as their confidence builds up. Of course they should have enough acquired knowledge about the diseases and should know when to seek outside help when needed.

So as long as one knows his limitations there is no harm in trying out homeopathy on one's own to start with and later with their family. Reading and discussing with homeopaths helps a lot in getting confidence.

Hope this answers your query.

Murthy
Old 12th June 2010, 23:09   #130
Team-BHP Support

Keep this thread to share your experience with alternative medicine. We are done crucifying alternative medicines here. - Support Team.
Old 13th June 2010, 00:19   #131
BANNED

Samurai - I know you are trying to end the argument here. But this thread is getting into really dangerous territory with people giving examples of never taking their kids to doctors. Please delete those posts also.
Old 13th June 2010, 05:58   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

There are so many strange medical practices that seem to work but there is no scientific proof for them. At least nothing that can convince modern scientist, but that doesn't mean they don't work at all. Science it yet to discover it. Here is a strange example from my family.
How can this be explained? I can't think of a way, don't think any modern doctor can. But my mother doesn't care whether it can be explained or not, she got cured, that's all she cares. We don't even know the name of this treatment or the branch of medicine it belongs.
Here is a similar practice from my village I have experienced myself and it works. cross posting from here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post1348311
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
I have had this done on myself when visiting our ancestral village in UP, I was in my pre teens then. It is to treat some kind of ab muscles dislocation (called nara ukhadana), not sure why I have not seen it in modern medicine. it works!

symptoms: upset stomach, pain, loose motion.

Reasons: lifting heavy objects and putting too much stress on ab muscles.

diagnosis: lie flat on your back, press lightly on ur belly button. if you have a strong pulse, you have this condition.

treatment:
1. create a vacuum on belly button as described in "branding" above.
2. massaging of abs. there are old local village people with cracked skin who do this massges, the cracked skin almost cuts the skin on stomach. I hated it. for abour half an hour every bit of your stomach will be moved and pushed towards navel.
3. contract the ab muscles by supporting yourself upside down on your upper body (head/shoulder, hands holding a tee branch). upside down supported on lower body (legs curled on a tree branch) aggravates the condition.

Disclaimer: Treat yourself at your own risk

PS: AFAIK, the condition goes away by itself in a week or so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatechamp
To each his own.

For pain abodomen,theres a specific treatment called 'branding',in which on the tummy of the affected individual,a bowl is placed invertedly and a lighted wick is placed inside.The wick burns and all the trapped air is combusted inside the bowl and the bowl finally gets stuck on the patients abdomen.People who advocates this particular treatment says that all the bad elements are sucked out from the tummy by this peculiar method.I have met people who swears that they were cured by this.
Old 13th June 2010, 08:25   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Samurai - I know you are trying to end the argument here. But this thread is getting into really dangerous territory with people giving examples of never taking their kids to doctors. Please delete those posts also.
Please read my statement more carefully. I said they were never given allopathic medicines. That doesn't mean doctors are not consulted. Perhaps many are not aware that BHMS is a 4.5 years course just like MBBS and those doctors too have to do internship just like the MBBS doctors to get their degree. There are many M.D s in homeopathy.

Perhaps your definition of Doctors is limited to allopathic doctors alone.

Murthy
Old 13th June 2010, 08:53   #134
BHPian

How can one say homeopathy is witch-craft? Again a case of ignorance.

Read this to know many things you need to be aware of before making comments.

HOMEOPATHY IN INDIA

Homeopathy is more popular in Asian countries especially India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka, than Europe and America. Homeopathy received the moral support from Mahatma Gandhi. Who said, "it cures a greater number of people than any other method of treatment" As an article in the World Health Forum (journal of WHO) noted, " Homeopathic treatment seems well suited for use in rural areas where the infrastructure, equipment, and drugs needed for conventional medicine cannot be provided." According to the report in the World Health Forum, "In the Indian subcontinent the legal position of the practitioners of homeopathy has been elevated to a professional level similar to that of an allopathic medical practitioner."

Unbelievably, presently there are 165 homeopathic medical colleges in the country; state governments or universities maintain many of them. There are graduate (Bachelor of Homeopathic Medicine & surgery) and postgraduate courses (MD) in Homeopathy. Some of the state governments are conducting courses for homeopathic pharmacists and homeopathic nurses. The number of licensed homeopathic doctors is around 800000.

Nearly 20% of Indian public depend on homeopathy for their health care needs. In India, there are hundreds of State and Central government owned homeopathic hospitals having inpatient facility. There are thousands of State and Central government owned dispensaries having out patient facility. There are thousands of homeopathic pharmacies and around 150 homeopathic laboratories in the country. Central and State government owned research institutes finds the new horizons for the future of homeopathy. Researches are mainly focused on psychiatric disease, AIDS, cancer, Goiter, filariasis, asthma and hepatitis.
More than a 30 % government registered homeopathic doctors are getting an average patients visit between one hundred and two hundred per day."

Murthy

Last edited by Samurai : 13th June 2010 at 09:28. Reason: removed quoted text
Old 13th June 2010, 09:53   #135
Team-BHP Support

This thread is for sharing positive and negative experiences with alternatives. If you are a non-believer and only want to argue or insult people who are using alternative medicine, don't click on reply button. It is that easy.

Secondly, do not comment or mock moderator action. That is strictly against forum rules and we consider it a very serious offense. We always allow heated/spirited discussions as long as civility is maintained. We had to come down heavy on this thread because mockery/insults were heaped on users or practitioners of alternative medicines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Don't take things out of context. Gavinimurthy already clarified that you misquoted him. The homeopath we consult happens to be MBBS doctor with MF(HOM) LONDON. So he understands both side and uses either treatment as he deems fit.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks