Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2011, 21:54   #196
BHPian

Re: Alternative Medicine/Treatment options

Quote:
Originally Posted by kri$hna View Post
Nice post Dr. Suraj ! I am sure you will be of great help in this thread

I always wondered one thing right from childhood. Why doesnt a Homeopath "Prescribe" medicines ? I know there are mixes, formulations, dilutions etc, but why isnt there a prescription given to the patient ?

sorry if my post was offending, but it was just a curious question coming out of the pain i experience No offence meant at all ! once again, thanks for offering your help in this forum
Hello Mr. Krishna,

Please, no offence taken. Its an open forum meant for discussion.
A good follower of the science and practitioner will always aim to answer questions rather than negate or dismiss them.
That is a vital component in the process of the search of the truth.

Coming to your question:

1. Homoeopaths DO prescribe medicines. Such Homoeopaths are Rare, but there are a plenty. Even here in Mumbai.
And when needed we do dictate it on the phone as well.
Yes, I will admit - co-operation between 2 Homoeopaths is POOR. VERY poor. And it is one of our sore spots.

2. Another reason to NOT prescribe is : that there are very few Reliable Homoeopathic Pharmacies that dispense genuine medicines.
It is ofcourse MUCH more convenient, logical, safe and recommended that the physician make the medicines by himself in his own cabin and dispense them - the reasons for which are obvious.

& I dont even need to mention the whole 'quality check' when purchased outside.
Many a times, the chemist doesnt even put medicines and if they dont act - it will be the Doctor who will be blamed.

Similarly like how a Allopathic General Practitioner dispenses his OWN medicines and prescribes a few.
Homoeopathy, unfortunately does not have the luxury of strong, big, major pharmaceuticals like Cipla, Pfizer etc. We have SBL, Schwabe, Medisynth, Reckwegg etc. selling only combination drugs outside and pure dilutions only to the doctors.

3. When given a prescription - patients go to a chemist / homoeopathic pharmacy - where Majority of the times, the guy behind the counter tries to push his own 'combination' of Homoeopathic medicine - which is not recommended. As Homoeopathy is primarily the science of single medicine, minimal dose. OTC (Over-the-counter) drugs are not ideal and technically dis-allowed and against the principles of Homoeopathy.

Now for THE most important reason -
You will need to know a bit of the basis of Homoeopathy to understand this part:

Homoeopathy is a science of individualization.
We have more than 5,500 remedies / medicines in our arsenal available across atleast 10 different levels of potency (dosage). All in all - a HUGE number.

If a person has regular URTI (Upper Respiratory Tract Infection) : Cold & Cough -
Allopathy or Modern Medicine -
would evaluate whether bacterial or viral
and accordingly
Anti-biotics of the right generic substance would be prescriber ( Amoxycilin - be it the brand name of MoxiKind or Mox or MoxClav)
or Anti-histaminins such as Cetrizine (Cetzine, Levocetrizine, Montelukast etc. - Allegra, Montek LC, Ebast, Sinarest).
they have a more or less standard proforma.

That is NOT the case with Homoeopathy:
In Homoeopathy, even for a simple complaint of cold and cough -
we must consider:
the type of expectoration, sputum
colour of the sputum
odour
nose block or running nose
cough - only rattling, dry or lots of expectoration
absence presence of headache
fever
thirst
appetite
mental state - if patient is more weak or more irritable or more disappointed
thermal state - patient feeling chilly, wanting covering or not
state of tongue
the cause of the problem

AND EACH OF THESE SYMPTOMS - corresponds to specific remedies out of those 5500 +
& we must CHOOSE only 1 - which matches Exactly or as close as exactly possible to THAT given set of symptoms to THAT given patient at that time.

So there is a lot of 'perceiving and 'interpretation' on the Homoeopathic Physician's behalf - which is very Subjective.

Hence, it is difficult to mention it on the prescription - as the moment another Homoeopath read that prescription:
3 things tend to happen:
1. he gets prejudiced to repeat it (& it is against our principles to ever be Prejudiced)
2. he starts judging the previous doctor
3. his interpretation of the patient might vary and it may cast a doubt on the previous doctor's interpretation.

Unfortunately - like i mentioned earlier. Intra-communication between Homoeopaths is poor (owing to many reason which I would not like to discuss here or otherwise) and thus while the Science of Homoeopathy remains the same - brilliant and effective. Its Implementation by the Homoeopathy VARIES grossly from individual doctor to individual patient - and as do the Results.

Homoeopathy never fails to act. It is the Homoeopath who fails to interpret or perceive rightly thus being unable to relieve / cure the patient.

I hope this answers your query. My apologies for such a lengthy post.
But I had to explain in detail.

Most Homoeopaths - will NOT mind if asked specifically for a prescription.
&
most of us here (in my circle) we easily share prescriptions between Doctors.

Also, in today's time - most of us Homoeopaths continue following up with our patients anywhere in the world with tele-medicine and the couriering the medicines to the desired location.
That way - a patient who is 'set' with 1 particular Homoeopath - doesnt have to suffer the agony of repeating his entire lengthy case history with another homoeopath all over again and risk the minimal chance of wrong interpretation by the other doctor.
Old 6th July 2011, 13:55   #197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post
I am open to any queries or questions of any sort on this forum.
I shall follow up this post with a post of FAQs of Homoeoapthy to clear most doubts at the onset.

A warm hello to all the fellow Doctors on this community & thread.

Glad to be a part of this.
Welcome to this thread Doc!
I look forward to the post about the FAQs.

I was visiting my homeopath practitioner for around 2 years for basic issues such as excess 'pitha' and headaches. However, I was required to move abroad due to work for around 2 years during which I did not take any meds (thankfully no issues). Before I left, my homeopath made an interesting comment about my hair loss. After a visual check up, he said that it could be linked to high testosterone levels. While this is subjective, do you think this could be one of the reasons? When I last checked with another friend (also a doctor) he had informed me that testosterone or increased physical drive does not result in hair loss.
PS - I do understand that I should see a dermatologist for this issue, just trying to understand if there is any link here.
Old 7th July 2011, 12:47   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Welcome to this thread Doc!

After a visual check up, he said that it could be linked to high testosterone levels. While this is subjective, do you think this could be one of the reasons? When I last checked with another friend (also a doctor) he had informed me that testosterone or increased physical drive does not result in hair loss.
Thank you Selfdrive.

It is a known, proved scientific fact that testosterone is linked to Baldness.

In fact - the term used to diagnose it is Androgenic Alopecia - Male Pattern Balding.
Testosterone is an Androgen. There can be others too.

So ALL kinds of Hairloss may not be due to excessive Testosterone
and
if you have Excessive Testosterone does not compulsorily mean you will have Hair Loss.

It varies from individual to individual.

Also, increased testosterone does not necessarily mean increased Physical drive.
It can also be due to excessive gymming and working out.

There is a special branch of science - its called Trichology.
So rather than visiting a dermatologist - you should look out for a Trichologist.

They will be able to diagnose better after evaluating your hair size, breadth, hair follicles and other investigations.
Dr.Suraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2011, 12:52   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post
There is a special branch of science - its called Trichology. So rather than visiting a dermatologist - you should look out for a Trichologist.

They will be able to diagnose better after evaluating your hair size, breadth, hair follicles and other investigations.
Thanks doc! I will try to find one in Pune soon
Now one more question: I seem to get these small boils on my face; usually near my nose and mouth. Is it to due to excessive heat accumulation? Though I have oily skin, I make it a point to wash my face frequently, not with soap.
Thanks again, I hope I am not taking too much of your time
Old 8th July 2011, 02:25   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Thanks doc! I will try to find one in Pune soon
Now one more question: I seem to get these small boils on my face; usually near my nose and mouth. Is it to due to excessive heat accumulation? Though I have oily skin, I make it a point to wash my face frequently, not with soap.
Thanks again, I hope I am not taking too much of your time
Plenty of 'GOOD' Homoeopaths in Pune. (Trichologists I am not sure of, unless RichFeel has a centre there - But I wouldnt vouch for their efficacy always)

All the best with that.

As for your current complaint - sounds similar to Acne.

Without having a look or examining or atleast brief history, I won't be able to tell you much, but I will stick my neck out and tell you this :-

'Normally' such eruptions have multiple or any of these causes:

1. oily skin
2. Low fibre diet
3. decreased water intake
4. excessive caffeine
5. excess sugar
6. large pores - leading to blockage of sebaceous glands
7. allergic reaction to any cosmetics
8. overall 'heat' as you put it in the body
9. hormonal level variations (again androgens have a part to play)
10. stress
11. suppression of emotions at the level of the mind
12. dandruff
13. poor hygiene
14. secondary infection

These are some of the immediate and common causes we usually come across.

So I would recommend, rather than going to a Trichologist for your hair loss
and a Dermatologist for your Acne Vulgaris (I am surmising) - it would make sense to go to a Genuine Good Homoeopath who will tackle both the problems with 1 medicine and help your body overall (constitutionally).
Dr.Suraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2011, 07:41   #201
BHPian

I have been sticking to Ganoderma food supplement for the past 7 years. It works on age old concept "Let food be your medicine and medicine be your food". It can be administered to any ailment cos this basically cures the human body and the body cures the disease. I recommend it to people who are open to alternative treatment options and the best part is it is used as preventive medicine as well (my 6 month old angel has been taking this supplement from month 1)

After seeing results in my friends and relatives circle it has been 4 years that I have become a stockist/distributor for 4 cities (coimbatore, trichy, vellore, salem) in Tamilnadu for a leading Malaysian MNC dealing with this product.
Old 8th July 2011, 09:11   #202
BHPian

Hi All,
Can somebody recommend good Homeopathic doctor in Marathahalli/AECS layout in Bangalore. Thanks in advance.
Old 12th April 2012, 17:43   #203
BHPian

Urgent help needed for son wrt tonsilitis :

Youngest son aged 13.5 years; he has a poor appetite and tries to shirk eating food, though I try to cook the dishes he likes. Though he is an active boy and plays cricket for his school in the under-15 team, I am noticing somewhat slow growth in terms of height and weight over the last 1 year. He has perpetually enlarged tonsils on either side of the throat which make swallowing of food rather tough. My husband's friend who is a doctor with a reputed hospital recommended some antibiotics, which did not help for long - tonsils remained enlarged. The same doctor has recommended removing the tonsils by operation or using alternative medicine like homeopathy. Many people have mentioned that chronic problems like tonsilis can be cured effectively by homeopathy. I have never tried this branch of medicine on my children.

If any of you have tried homeopathic treatment with success for your children, please share your experience with me. Also, can anyone recommend a good homeopath in Delhi?

I posted it in the other thread : Calling all doctors......and was directed here by carboy
Old 12th April 2012, 21:28   #204
Team-BHP Support

I used to have enlarged tonsils when I was your son's age.

salted warm water gargling used to give a lot of relief.
Old 12th April 2012, 23:02   #205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugeeta View Post
The same doctor has recommended removing the tonsils by operation or using alternative medicine like homeopathy. Many people have mentioned that chronic problems like tonsilis can be cured effectively by homeopathy. I have never tried this branch of medicine on my children.
I have been a regular visitor to the ENT for tonsillitis in my teens. It was a regular monthly affair to take leave from school for a day or two in a month. Till I became somewhere around 14-15 years this continued and my ENT prescribed antibiotics. Whenever the effect of antibiotics faded, I had another attack. I had also been strongly advised by my ENT to remove the tonsils then. But my uncle, a pediatrician, strongly recommended against removing the tonsils, as he advised it was an essential part of the body. He was also hesitant in taking too much antibiotics. My uncle recommended me to gain resistant, by fighting against an attack more by natural ways. Yes, towards my mid teens, I got a bit of resistance, but not completely. My uncle also said that the tonsil issues will fade away once after the teen age. He was true and I had very minimal issues of tonsillitis after the teen age.

I had also tried ayurvedic medicines then, to some good. But after few years, a new issue cropped up - sinusitis. To this day, I am prone to sinus attacks, if careless. A drop of rain on my head leads to infected sinus. I have a slight septal deviation by birth. Ayurveda and homeopathy have helped me a lot, but not fully.

I have developed hair fall and back-pain towards the age when the sinus attacks were frequent - at around age 20. During my stay at Bangalore, I have been to Dr. Batras at Hyderabad as there was a good doctor there. It had helped me to some extend, but the cost and distance was a major deterrence. In homeopathy, the doctor is really really important and the correct medicine is got only after many iterations. Still, I recommend you to find a good homeopath and persist with it regardless of immediate results. If you can find a classic homeopath, the better. Try Ayurveda side by side. At the same time, it is important to reduce dependency on antibiotics and induce natural resistance. It is also important to reduce the number of exposures to the triggering factors.
Old 12th April 2012, 23:48   #206
BHPian

Sugeeta
Hi
Mine is a very simple kitchen remedy with which my grandma cured the enlarged tonsils.(I am nearly 68 now)
It worked for me in my teens and I think it will work in your son's case.
Do it for 2/3 days religiously 3 times a day.
Take three quarter tea spoon of common salt in your palm.Add a few drops of water so it becomes wet,just enough to wet the salt,and before it dissolves, quickly spread it on the throat where the tonsils are located.Bear in mind the water should be enough so that the salt dissolves slowly.After 15 minutes wash it off.Dont eat or drink anything for that 15 minutes.Nothing colder than 'matka'water(that is important) for a few days.
Gargling with warm salt water and alum is an age old remedy.Do it 2/3 times a day.
Hope this helps
Regards

On a different note my son,39 years,wants to undergo panchkarma in kerala.The arya vaidya sala is full for the next 3 months.Any suggestions for genuine panchkarma places rather than the touristy ones.Please if you have links,please advise.
Thanks and regards
Old 13th April 2012, 00:15   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugeeta View Post
Urgent help needed for son wrt tonsilitis :
Try Pranic Healing. You can find the contact details here GMCKS Yoga Vidya Pranic Healing - India. It is very effective with no side effects. Good luck.

Last edited by GTO : 14th April 2012 at 13:27. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting an entire long message inconveniences our mobile users
Old 13th April 2012, 01:12   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Sugeeta
Hi
Mine is a very simple kitchen remedy with which my grandma cured the enlarged tonsils.(I am nearly 68 now)
It worked for me in my teens and I think it will work in your son's case.
Do it for 2/3 days religiously 3 times a day.
Take three quarter tea spoon of common salt in your palm.Add a few drops of water so it becomes wet,just enough to wet the salt,and before it dissolves, quickly spread it on the throat where the tonsils are located.Bear in mind the water should be enough so that the salt dissolves slowly.After 15 minutes wash it off.Dont eat or drink anything for that 15 minutes.Nothing colder than 'matka'water(that is important) for a few days.
Gargling with warm salt water and alum is an age old remedy.Do it 2/3 times a day.
Hope this helps
Regards
Interesting. I think this will create strong osmotic pressure to pull out any excess water from tonsils (provided the surface allows that), question to doctors, does it work on any other body parts?
Old 17th April 2012, 10:28   #209
BHPian

How is Dr. Batra's clinic. Is it really recommended. I have had mixed opinions on the same.
Old 17th April 2012, 13:31   #210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
How is Dr. Batra's clinic. Is it really recommended. I have had mixed opinions on the same.
The success of homeopathic treatment depends heavily on the individual doctor. Dr. Batra's used to hire good doctors, but I have not been to them off late and hence unsure on the current situation. Even among the doctors on the Dr. Batra's network, it is better to find out who is the best.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks