Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2009, 12:20   #16
BHPian

Thank you all for all the suggestions you have given.

Citibank has agreed to stop the payment, However this is only an oral conversation which happened now with one of their top managers. How can I get this in writing? Or Is there anything we have to do now, just to make sure all is well.
Old 25th June 2009, 13:08   #17
Senior - BHPian

Congrats man. Glad to know things are getting sorted. Send a mail to the manager stating whatever was discussed and ask him to acknowledge.
Old 2nd July 2009, 18:47   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Congrats man. Glad to know things are getting sorted. Send a mail to the manager stating whatever was discussed and ask him to acknowledge.
Yup, done that sammyboy, I am yet to receive the ack from their end I would wait for sometime & get back to them
Old 21st January 2013, 15:03   #19
Oxy
BHPian

re: Online Credit Card Scam - Help!

Ok, so now I am the latest victim.

This is on my HDFC bank World Mastercard credit card. On Friday afternoon, I receive four messages on the trot within seven minutes of fraudulent transactions amounting to nearly Rs.17,000 on a website called Macys while the card is in my possession.

Immediately called up the customer care and got the card blocked. They tell me to dispute the transactions by filling in a form available at their website and mail it to their Chennai office. Immediately run to a nearby post office and speed posted the form.

Now I am told the investigation is going to take 45 days. Does anyone here have an idea what normally happens when a transaction is disputed? Like how do they conclude if the transactions have been made by me or not?
Old 21st January 2013, 15:52   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post

This is on my HDFC bank World Mastercard credit card. On Friday afternoon, I receive four messages on the trot within seven minutes of fraudulent transactions amounting to nearly Rs.17,000 on a website called Macys while the card is in my possession.

Immediately called up the customer care and got the card blocked. They tell me to dispute the transactions by filling in a form available at their website and mail it to their Chennai office. Immediately run to a nearby post office and speed posted the form.

Now I am told the investigation is going to take 45 days. Does anyone here have an idea what normally happens when a transaction is disputed? Like how do they conclude if the transactions have been made by me or not?
A similar thing happened to two of my friends in office with their HDFC credit cards and this was in the recent past. One guy's card was fraudulently charged for around Rs.11,000 and the other guy's card was charged for around Rs.50,000/-. These two amounts were the credit available in their respective cards. Upon checking the transaction history online it looked like the fraud was from Europe.

For both of these guys the fraud happened in two steps, one straight after the other. In the first step of the fraud transaction a small amount was charged from the card and upon its success and in the next moment a second fraud transaction happens and this time its for the balance credit available for that particular card. My friend told me that, even before he could make of what was happening the second fraud transaction was done and for the bigger amount.

They both filed disputes with the Bank and like you said it has to reach Chennai, and thankfully the dispute was settled in their favour and the amount was rolled back.
Old 21st January 2013, 16:06   #21
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post

HDFC calls customers in case of high value transactions happening at POS terminals even before customer can sign on charge slip, but not in case on online transactions. It should be the case for online also for enhanced security.
Old 20th August 2019, 12:08   #22
BANNED

I am the latest victim of credit card fraud.

Last night, received SMS notification for a transaction of 94000 approximately at Travelginio website on my HSBC card (almost equivalent to the credit limit). Called up customer care immediately to get the card blocked.

I am not able to raise the fraud request, as the amount has not yet posted on my account. But HSBC customer care said to me that transaction has been approved. As per them, I have to wait 48 hours to get that amount posted to my account and then I can raise fraud request. On that, they mentioned, I will get a shadow credit and then they will take 3 months for final investigation.

I am not sure exactly where would that low life got my card detail as I make sure to by present always when my card gets swiped. Only, that particular card has been stored in Netflix, Google and Zomato account. I am not sure, if there had been any data breach form those websites.
Old 20th August 2019, 14:54   #23
BHPian

Add one from me. My Singapore credit card (DBS bank) which I had got only 3 weeks ago was used online for approx USD 4000. Saw the msg early morning on my phone. Called the bank. The procedure explained was as follows
1. They will check with the seller for the transaction details viz. OTP and if the goods have been delivered and the address.
2. If Yes on OTP and goods collected, then the money is gone.
3. If No on the OTP then they will reverse the transaction.

Most importantly, they cancelled the card immediately. Within 2 days got a message that the transaction had been reversed. Got a new card on the 3rd day.

Not sure why HDFC needs 3 months in India, as most of the software systems will be similar.
Old 20th August 2019, 15:45   #24
BHPian

Re: Online Credit Card Scam - Help!

International online transactions does not generate OTP. Only online transactions done in India generate OTP.

So it is better to modify your international limit and restrict it to a small range.
Old 20th August 2019, 16:28   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
Last night, received SMS notification for a transaction of 94000 approximately at Travelginio website on my HSBC card ...
As per RBI guidelines, Bank needs to ensure ZERO liability to the customer when there is a third party breach and provide a shadow credit within 10 days.

There is a difference between a transaction getting 'approved' and 'settled'. If the card holder reports a transaction as a fraudulent, the Bank has a right to withhold the settlement.

The 90 day period mentioned by the Bank is outer limit provided by RBI for completing the entire process.

Vasuki has rightly pointed out that it is better to have only a small portion of card limit for international usage (which is the route through which most of the fraudulent transactions happen). Better still block the international usage completely, and enable it when you need it. Most of the big players allow this to be done through their mobile app. Some even allow you not just specify the limit but also the vendors who are approved by you for transactions!
Old 21st August 2019, 10:33   #26
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
I
So it is better to modify your international limit and restrict it to a small range.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post

Vasuki has rightly pointed out that it is better to have only a small portion of card limit for international usage (which is the route through which most of the fraudulent transactions happen). Better still block the international usage completely, and enable it when you need it.
Agreed fully and international transactions are blocked in all my credit cards, which is why the first attempt by the fraudster to get it done with AUD failed. Credit cards have option to pay in credit card home currency with DCC instead of currency of merchant country, that means payment in INR. The fraudster gets it done with this option in second attempt. The pay in INR happened within 2 minutes of 1st AUD transaction.

I in fact, called bank immediately after 1st attempt only, but by the time I punched my card number and then T-PIN and with all the other garbage details provided by automated call, the second transaction went through.

The transaction is not yet posted to my account, waiting with finger crossed and hoping for a settlement fail.
Old 1st October 2019, 11:02   #27
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
The transaction is not yet posted to my account, waiting with finger crossed and hoping for a settlement fail.

Update: The transaction was posted to my account and I had to went through the formal dispute procedure. The bank provided me with a temporary credit of disputed amount till resolution.
So, today got the confirmation from the bank that, the dispute has been resolved in my favor, translates I have not to worry about that transaction.
All good that ends good, but with of course a bit of headache.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks