Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2009, 15:42   #1
BHPian

Online Credit Card Scam - Help!

Dear All,

My bro just recieved a call from citibank executives that he has made an online purchase of an Apple laptop, which apparently is a fraud. He has not done any shopping except for that he had used this card to buy a Ferrari Cap online on some Auto website couple of days back, I will let you know the details on which site.

Please help me what actions should we take now? Do I have to lodge a police complaint & How do I stop the payement, the citibank guys are very stubborn saying its already cleared & it has all security numbers entered...
Mods: Pls correct the spelling of "Credit" in the topic label
Appreciate your thoughts & help!!

Last edited by crn12 : 23rd June 2009 at 15:46.
Old 23rd June 2009, 15:44   #2
BHPian

Whats the date & details of the Online purchase of the laptop?
Old 23rd June 2009, 15:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

Dude I know this is an automotive forum, but still I don't think everything should be spelt in terms of engines and cars. Credit <> CRDiat.
Anyways thats bad what happened to your brother.
Did you go to the cops and file an FIR?
Old 23rd June 2009, 15:48   #4
Senior - BHPian

Have he disputed the transaction in written?

That is the first (and mandatory) step.

Once you dispute a transaction, then go and File an FIR. You might be redirected to "Economic offences Wing" for filing the complaint.
Old 23rd June 2009, 16:02   #5
BHPian

The online scam has happened today at about 12:15 PM, my bro is talking to the bank guys to stop the payment, unfortunately the citi-bank guys are not helping him out.

@net freak what do you mean by disputed the transaction in written? pls elaborate this, so that we can go ahead with the necessary action.
Old 23rd June 2009, 16:22   #6
BHPian

Where did the fraud transaction happen? In any case you must dispute the charge on your card over phone, online and by hard copy letter. Ask them to recover the money and pay you back immediately. Since it is an online purchase of laptop, the seller will be able to reverse the payment and block the shipment of the item if they receive notice from bank in advance.

See this link on how to dispute credit card fraud. And above all, get the card deactivated immediately to prevent further frauds.

Last edited by appuchan : 23rd June 2009 at 16:28.
Old 23rd June 2009, 16:37   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crn12 View Post
The online scam has happened today at about 12:15 PM, my bro is talking to the bank guys to stop the payment, unfortunately the citi-bank guys are not helping him out.

@net freak what do you mean by disputed the transaction in written? pls elaborate this, so that we can go ahead with the necessary action.
Talking = no proof.

Write. An email, a fax, a letter. Write and file it.
Old 23rd June 2009, 16:40   #8
BHPian

This has happened in one of the apple sites in UK, giving details of my bros cc. Now the card is deactivated & the citibank guys are not stopping the payment..as they seem to be telling him that they cant do anything now!

How would I dispute if its not shown in the account? he received a call from citi bank asking if he has made the purchase, to which he has said NO, after this the bank customer service reps are saying nothing can be done as its an online purchase in one of the apple sites in UK.

I just don't understand why cant they "citibank" stop the payment to which ever website it is, after getting the permission to do from the owner of the card..

Last edited by crn12 : 23rd June 2009 at 16:52.
Old 23rd June 2009, 16:50   #9
Team-BHP Support

Similar threads : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...statement.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post1003027

cya
R
Old 23rd June 2009, 17:49   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do there steps.
  1. Login to online netbanking and write a request for disputing the transaction.
  2. Write an application , Xerox it
  3. Submit a copy at citibank branch get acknowledgment on Xerox
  4. Approach nearest EOW and file an FIR based o nthis acknowledgment.
PM me if you need help in actual procedure.
Old 23rd June 2009, 18:16   #11
BHPian

Quote:
This has happened in one of the apple sites in UK, giving details of my bros cc. Now the card is deactivated & the citibank guys are not stopping the payment..as they seem to be telling him that they cant do anything now!

How would I dispute if its not shown in the account? he received a call from citi bank asking if he has made the purchase, to which he has said NO, after this the bank customer service reps are saying nothing can be done as its an online purchase in one of the apple sites in UK.

I just don't understand why cant they "citibank" stop the payment to which ever website it is, after getting the permission to do from the owner of the card..
1. You can prove that this is a fraudulant purchase if your brother was in India when the purchase was made from U.K.

2. The fraudester can be traced by the shipping address provided by him to the laptop seller. Ask Citibank to trace that.

3. Bank will not help you and will try to disown all responsibility. Do all communication in writing (email or fax) and preserve copies with you.

4. File a FIR and threaten CitiBank to file a case in consumer court.

5. Pay your card bill to Citi bank minus this txn amount.
Old 23rd June 2009, 22:05   #12
BHPian

Now a days password or some personal details are needed while making an online transaction.
How did the fraudster get hold of this info?
Old 24th June 2009, 01:42   #13
Senior - BHPian

I thought credit cards were insured from fraud.
Old 24th June 2009, 01:52   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
I thought credit cards were insured from fraud.
Anna, in india this feature is not available or maybe not many people know of if its available.

@CRN12
I have once been a victim of this Card scam 2 years back and the bank was Citibank.

i used to use my credit card very generously at internet while during my business trips in US and never thought such a thing would happen.

But for every transaction done outside India, citibank used to send me a confirmation mail straightaway to ask if i made this transaction and if i said Yes, then they would complete the transaction.

Once i was still in india, sombody shopped for 32k on amazon and i got this amount in my monthly statement and i called Citibank immediately as to what is this?

As expected they said that i made this transaction but i dint agree and told them to block my card straightaway and close my account with Citibank

And fortunately i mailed them as my boss suggested and asked them why they dint send me the confirmation mail for that transaction and i am in india during that time.

So finally they relented after 2 days of circus and trying to threaten me with action but i told them that its their fault and i would sue them in court.

REsult = i dint have to pay anything and got a new card.

So be firm and keep everything in writing and tell them that you will go to court against this harassment and all that stuff.

I am sure it will be fine and next time be careful when using card on internet and dont use it on fishy sites.

Cheers
Old 24th June 2009, 02:55   #15
BHPian

Citibank seems to have a lot of fraudulent transactions going on their cards!

Anyway, coming back to the topic - crn12 please refer to my post http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post1306788

Having worked for Barclaycard UK's Dispute and Fraud team for about 2 years, (this was before Barclaycard even came to India), I am well aware that whenever you dispute a transaction, there are a series of checks that are made on the terminal to determine what kind of transaction was carried out, and exactly what all details were punched in.

If after investigation, you still disagree to the transaction, the card is blocked and a new one is issued. The dispute is carried out with the merchant's bank and the matter is sorted out. IF YOU INSIST, the bank bears the cost since it's a fraud on THEIR card.

They can very well ask for this to be taken up legally and find out the delivery address / etc.

This is more than I am allowed to disclose regarding the process. Stay put and keep writing those bankers!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks