Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2005, 02:58   #16
Senior - BHPian

Guys, ive always had dogs from as far as i can recollect and have had almost every breed (practically)at some time or the other. at one time i had 8 dogs at a time a foolish mistake which i realised. believe me u want a dog in bombay that has really less hair
dont even think of hairy dogs coz in any family, someone'll be allergic to dog fur.
big dogs are great lookers and attract a lot of attention but if u have a small house, then forget it.
dont think about pugs as they r the ones with a short life span as they are prone to breathing problems and anyways its fashionable to have one coz it features in an ad.
alsations and great danes develop hip or hind leg problems and anyways an alsation is a one man dog
the best bet for bombay would be a boxer/dobberman/lab/dalmation. i presently have one which is brindle with white socks, my first boxer
have had mostly dobbermen or german shepherds(alsations)
a good small breed is a spaniel but its a hairy dog.
whatever you do , b4 getting a dog, make sure u want one or if ure getting one for a fad, forget it. they require care and commitment, much like a child and believe me the love you get in return for nothing is something to be experienced.
alternatively if u have space get a dobberman(the big one) the mini ones are also called dashunds
Old 17th June 2005, 09:51   #17
BHPian

hey hot rod
my friend has 2 chinese pomerians they are puppies but just a little grown i will ask him if you want them will try to post their pics also
Old 17th June 2005, 10:12   #18
Team-BHP Support

I against anyone buying a dog or any animal for that matter. You will find the most loving and loyal pets in the world in the pound, not being sold from some breeders house.
Old 17th June 2005, 11:00   #19
Awaiting Email Confirmation

What i get to hear all the time about dobermans are that they are unpredictable and can even turn on their owners at times,

the deberman psinchers are a treat to watch wonder how good a pet they make,

less hairy dog i would suggest the beagle sometimes available in the pound for free on adoption they are cute and not all that big also
Old 17th June 2005, 11:43   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
You will find the most loving and loyal pets in the world
Right! We got our 'Dagger' from the pound. Was a pain to see him classified as 'nondescript' under the 'breed' column at the vet hospital, but he was such a great companion...

The cute and cuddly part aside, Dogs require attention and care. Dont go in for one unless you're capable of spending a lot of time with them to start with.
Old 17th June 2005, 11:57   #21
Senior - BHPian

dashunds and minature pinschers are very different breeds. they are not one and the same.
altough the min-pin (i have four of them) is a distant relative of the dobermann. the dashunds have no connection at all.

not all boxers have a heart problem.infact they have thier own charm.find them the best among all the various breeds i have owned till now :labs,rottweilers,dobermanns.miniature poms, dalmations and pugs

i have four boxers 3 brindle and 1 albino.

ps: pugs have an eye popping problem, be careful with that.

ps 2: the withe dogs commonly known as poms arent poms, they are saymoeds.

poms arent white in colour. they generally have a light brown colour.
Old 17th June 2005, 13:06   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
I against anyone buying a dog or any animal for that matter. You will find the most loving and loyal pets in the world in the pound, not being sold from some breeders house.
Dude I completely disagree. I support adopting a homeless dog as opposed to buying a highclass pedigree but you cant say that a dog that has been bred will be less loving than a stray. It all depends on the upbringing and the family
Old 17th June 2005, 19:15   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_rod
Hey guys i am really interested in buying a puppy where can i find one and for how much also which breed shud i go in for i prefer a smaller dog but a fun one! please help me as son as possible!!
Hot Rod, I'd avoid buying Poms/Pom look alikes - they tend to be too snappy and bad tempered.

Since you want a small dog, look for a Jack Russel terrier, assuming they are available. Keep in mind that this breed will need *plenty* of exercise. Avoid long-coated breeds unless you can spend extra time grooming the dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadix
altough the min-pin (i have four of them) is a distant relative of the dobermann. the dashunds have no connection at all.

i have four boxers 3 brindle and 1 albino.
colour.
Aadix, wow, thats a lot of dogs! How would you describe your Rotweiler? Are they even tempered esp. with the family and good to have around kids? I may want to get one, hence the question.

I kind of hear conflicting statements about Rotties being good/bad with kids.

Last edited by airfoil : 17th June 2005 at 19:25. Reason: Add
Old 17th June 2005, 20:14   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadix
dashunds and minature pinschers are very different breeds. they are not one and the same.

ps 2: the withe dogs commonly known as poms arent poms, they are saymoeds.

poms arent white in colour. they generally have a light brown colour.
Dude !!! with all due respect ..Min Pins were a result of Italian Greyhounds crossing with Dachshunds, Doberman is much a newer breed ...

ps 2 - Samoyeds (siberian origins) are medium sized dogs ( as tall as german shepherds) and they very rare in a place like india due to the climate ...

pomeranians ---- come in white , black ,brown/orange and grey ...but pedigrree poms are rare and expensive ...
what most people end up buying are Pom Spitz , hence they are a bit bigger than a toy sized Pomeranian ..
Old 17th June 2005, 23:33   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_lover
Dude !!! with all due respect ..Min Pins were a result of Italian Greyhounds crossing with Dachshunds, Doberman is much a newer breed ...

ps 2 - Samoyeds (siberian origins) are medium sized dogs ( as tall as german shepherds) and they very rare in a place like india due to the climate ...

pomeranians ---- come in white , black ,brown/orange and grey ...but pedigrree poms are rare and expensive ...
what most people end up buying are Pom Spitz , hence they are a bit bigger than a toy sized Pomeranian ..

hmm... maybe u are right.

but the poms i had were the toy sized ones. and my parents always used to tell me those white ones are called samoyeds.

and abt my rotts, currently they are at my farm. had them in our house till they were abt 6 months old.
as long as they are well fed, they remain happy.they are faithfull to only a few poeople.they have bit me once.
will ask up more with my farm guys and let u know.

will post up some pics tomo.
Old 18th June 2005, 01:38   #26
Senior - BHPian

GTRs right,samoyeds are much bigger and would fry in the heat in bombay or india for that matter(but i know of people who own a siberian husky in bopmbay....what do they do ....keep him in the deep freezer??)
spitz are what are confused with poms...and poms do come in many colours, black and all white included.
min pins are a cross between a daschund and amoyher hound breed(didnt know the name till gtr clarified)
but what comes out of this thread is that most of us here are dog lovers and thats great...WELCOME TO THE CLUB GUYS.
Scarlet; re dobby attitudes well ive had 6 till now and they are great dogs possesive yes not unpredictable,.depends on how u keep it but alsations, dobbies, rotties and bull terriers are possesive and boisterous.a dog by nature is a pack animal and responds to that kind of behaviour. theres always a leader in the pack, the alpha dog. when u get a dog as a pet make sure ur the alpha dog as it sees you and your members in your family as his pack. once your superiority is established...no problems but if its vice versa, thats when it attacks the owners.
Old 18th June 2005, 16:57   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16
GTRs right.
Dude what is it with you calling me GTR (this is the 2nd time ) ???? ...am changing my avatar ..

Huskies are beautiful dogs ...they are the only breed of dog which Howls , like a wolf .. my Boss had 8 huskies in his greenhouse .. it was a whole pack! ... they have a lovely melodic howl they look beautiful in that howling posture too ...they ressemble wolf behaviour in a lot of ways ...

the likes of Dobermans ,huskies ,Alsations are mostly single owner dogs ...in fact as most of us dog owners will notice, our dogs would listen to and fears one person more than the rest ... so hot_rod its very important at an early age to let the pup know whose the boss ..

btw ....any of you happen to see a Silver and Tan doberman ever ??
Old 18th June 2005, 20:03   #28
Senior - BHPian

sorry turbo lover, my mistake. guess its your avtar thats got the better of me.....wont happen again, from one dog & car lover to another
Old 22nd June 2005, 06:07   #29

I had a tan coloured Dobermann -Max he was very cute
I havent seen silver coloured dobermann i have seen a "blue" coloured one in a dog show .it wasnt looking good .
I would suggest to buy a cross breed dog . a shepherd and a desi breed .
Old 22nd June 2005, 09:24   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_lover
i like big dumb clumbsy dogs ,lazy types..hehe

i used to own a Dobermann and German shepherd cross myself ..
Hey, me too! I used to have an Irish Setter... Have a black labrador pup now...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks