Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2005, 23:19   #1
BHPian

Need to get a dog - help??

Hey guys i am really interested in buying a puppy where can i find one and for how much also which breed shud i go in for i prefer a smaller dog but a fun one! please help me as son as possible!!
Old 15th June 2005, 23:57   #2
Senior - BHPian

hey buddy

thats great news ...very important that you choose the right breed ...
depending on the

- size of your house

- what purpose will your dog serve ..
will it be purely a companion dog ,outdoor /gaurd /watch dog ..

- are you looking for a pedigree ...what is your budget ?
any specific breed that you like ?

- and do check earlier for anyone in your family who has an allergy to dog hair..

all dogs can be fun ..provided you choose one with the right temperment ...
Old 16th June 2005, 01:39   #3
Senior - BHPian

you could also adopt a pup from the street. that way the dog gets a home and you get the dog. man dogs are the best . www.wsdindia.org
I have a lahsa apso but he finds it quite hot so we have to keep giving him hair cuts ........which he hates
Old 16th June 2005, 02:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

Considering the summer heat in Mumbai, i suggest you go in for something which has less hair.

The size and breed of the dog will depend on the size of your house and the amount of play area available.

One dog that's not too big, not too hairy and very fun loving is the Labrador.

The Pomeranian is a small household dog but, they do tend to be a bit moody.

The Pug (dog used in the Hutch advert) is also an option worth cosidering.

This site might help you decide on a breed - Choosing a dog

Shan2nu
Old 16th June 2005, 11:17   #5
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I would suggest a BOXER its less hair not very agressive fun loving breed very loving pets
the labrador is too inteligent but at times gets too bulky and lazy

Try some terriers they are really cute,
if you dont mind hairy dogs go for the irish setter lovely dog

I was wondering do we get GREY HOUNDS in india , not to race to have as pets definitely
Old 16th June 2005, 11:45   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak
you could also adopt a pup from the street. that way the dog gets a home and you get the dog. man dogs are the best . www.wsdindia.org
I have a lahsa apso but he finds it quite hot so we have to keep giving him hair cuts ........which he hates

Well street dogs are rugged and they dont require as much maintainance as much as any breed dog requires... If you gonna take constant care or have someone to do it then i guess pure breed dogs are good.. You can choose from Labs, Pugs, or Boxers ...
Old 16th June 2005, 12:07   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCARLET
I would suggest a BOXER its less hair not very agressive fun loving breed very loving pets

the labrador is too inteligent but at times gets too bulky and lazy

Try some terriers they are really cute,
if you dont mind hairy dogs go for the irish setter lovely dog

I was wondering do we get GREY HOUNDS in india , not to race to have as pets definitely
every breed has its own advantages and disadvantages ...

boxers - have a tendency to develop heart problem and are also know to have a short life ..

Labs - need a lot of exercise ,remember that they are bred as retreivers hence they fall under the hunting dogs category (labs are retreivers )..but they make amazing pets but they need a lot of space and exercise or else they gain weight which leads to problems such as arthiritis ..

Irish Setters are lovely dogs ,again they are Pointers (hunters).. a pure bred will cost you a lot of money .. and THEY ARE NOT TERRIERS ..they were the result of breeding water spaniels with pointers and further on with gordon setters

all breeds are available in india ,grey hounds are too .. but they dont make good pets ,they are difficult to house train and veru nervous natured ..not advisable for houses with small children ..

terrier are cute , they were bred for hunting rabbits and burrow animals ..
but are very adaptable and make great pets ..

Mongrels do make great pets, they are very hardy and resistant to diseases ... just that you dont know how they will look when they grow up ...

German shepherds (Alsatian) , Labs , Lab and shepherd crossbreeds, golden retreivers are most favoured amonsgt medium size dogs ..

pomerians are easy to find very cheap ..i dont know about you guys but i hate em ..i like big dumb clumbsy dogs ,lazy types..hehe

i used to own a Dobermann and German shepherd cross myself ..
Old 16th June 2005, 12:19   #8
Awaiting Email Confirmation

@ TURBO LOVER

great info you got there, weak hearts i though those were great danes,
surprised to know boxers are weak hearted dogs

the PUGS are really cute but they can get lost in a large house, and they are expensive after the HUTCH add
Old 16th June 2005, 12:26   #9
BHPian

yea boxers are real weak hearted ones... i wud suggest a labrador... amazin cute dogs.. wud make a great companion...
cheers

Last edited by xstream_nos : 16th June 2005 at 12:27.
Old 16th June 2005, 19:04   #10
BHPian

i would suggest a pug had seen a couple of them in a mall in usa and was allowed to play with them in a pen by the store owner till my parents finished dhopping i left the shop crying howling and kicking for one though i was small then but they are very good friends you just have to get aquainted with them and then youll fall in love with them and never want to leave it and you should just see them making those whining faces asking you not to leave i miss them every time i see a dog also if your looking for something bigger boxers are equally great and bigger i had a tiger striped one that used to terrify every one but they are infact very playfull just look dangerous
Old 16th June 2005, 21:34   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libre sito
i had a tiger striped one that used to terrify every one but they are infact very playfull just look dangerous
you had a Brindle Boxer !!! they have "tiger stripes" and white patch on their chest ..

i remmember i didnt eat for a whole day and cried 2 days in a row coz i fell in love with my doggie ,i wanted her soooo bad ... haha i was 8 then i think .... my mom started crying cause i wouldnt stop whining and i wouldnt eat .. hahahah ..my dad had no other choice but to comply with my demand ...so we brought her home ..

after that i fell more in love with dogs ..i brought soo many street pups home and my dad would drive them away ...
Old 16th June 2005, 21:55   #12
Senior - BHPian

if you can get go for Dobarman Pinscture (hope i got that right) its a mini version of dobarman
my sister has it great family dog full grown adult is about half feet tall
the only problem is they are very energetic
Old 16th June 2005, 22:23   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adya33
if you can get go for Dobarman Pinscture (hope i got that right) its a mini version of dobarman
my sister has it great family dog full grown adult is about half feet tall
the only problem is they are very energetic

DOBERMAN PINSCHER is the bigger sized breed ...and the "mini version of Doberman " is called a Miniature Pinscher (Min Pin) ...min pin is an older breed than the dobermann they have nothing in common except coat colours and the name Pinscher which means Biter in german ...
Old 16th June 2005, 22:37   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_lover
DOBERMAN PINSCHER is the bigger sized breed ...and the "mini version of Doberman " is called a Miniature Pinscher (Min Pin) ...

thank you for correcting me

Quote:
min pin is an older breed than the dobermann they have nothing in common except coat colours and the name Pinscher which means Biter in german ...
did not knew that
thank you for your info
Old 17th June 2005, 00:03   #15
BHPian

yep and also had a doberman but all when i was a kid my boxer ZIMBO as lovingly called him would drag me along when i took him for walks it was as if he was taking me for a walk i really miss those days

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks