Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2009, 23:09   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
It was something that bothered me, that sexual choices were governed by Indian law.

Until today, to be gay and to openly have same-sex relationships was illegal in India. It was punishable by imprisonment for life, unlike Saudi Arabia where the sentence for being homosexual is death.

Section 377 of the Indian Penal Code declared that homosexuality was illegal. It was drafted in the 1800's and said that any intercourse against the order of nature (the order of nature being intercourse between a man and a woman) would be punishable with life imprisonment. This has now been modified to declare that "Consensual gay sex between adults is not a crime"
Section 377 will still stand against non-consensual gay sex and sex with minors. Good on you India.

In a nutshell, those men and women who choose to be homosexual can stand up high and proud knowing that they live in a country where laws can evolve to suit the people and not vice versa.

This ruling has made me proud. I have friends who are gay and and today is a landmark day for them - legally offering them the freedom of choice.
For me, I am happy that India is choosing to move on from archaic laws and that the court has ruled in favour of progression.

I am proud to live in a democratic country that corrects its course with time.
Though we welcome the judgment, but till the Sec 377 of the IPC is not amended accordingly by an order from the Union Ministry of Law, the HC judgment remains just an judgment.
Many individuals and groups who matter are airing their opinions against the HC judgment.The govt has few options now:-
(1) If pressurised by some sections they may prefer an appeal in the SC against the order though the possibilities are less as it appears now.
(2) If many political parties oppose there may be a debate in the Parliament on the HC judgment and whether to go for the amendment of the Sec 377. If the opinion for prevail the Section will be amended. if opinions go against it the Parlaiment may vote to over-rule the HC judgment. Going by the past history many such important Supreme Court judgments have been overruled by the Parliament. And remember,the Parliament is supreme in a democracy and is above any court of law.
Umpteen other possibilities remain, so only time will tell as to whether Sec 377 stays in its present form or is amended after 150 years.
Old 3rd July 2009, 23:49   #17
Senior - BHPian

Living in TOronto has made me more receptive towards LGBT.

But when it comes as a personal opinion, I am against the concept. I would say that while I am not against the concept, I am not supporting it either.
Old 3rd July 2009, 23:58   #18
BHPian

Higher Ground

Well said/sung by UB40 :
And every hour of every day Im learning more
The more I learn, the less I know about before
The less I know, the more I want to look around
Digging deep for clues on higher ground...

Now, how come all this happened all of a sudden and after such a long time it has happened because a few important/influential person got threatened by his foe's and that they will use the law against him.
What should have been corrected a long time ago has happened now.
Better late than never.

The least we can do is respect the right of the other person to be different.
Old 4th July 2009, 02:53   #19
BHPian

yep Sam, feels good when your country takes a progressive step such as this.

off topic: There should be a ruling to allow stags in clubs man, common, what are the bouncers for!!

Last edited by MC Mayank : 4th July 2009 at 02:55.
Old 4th July 2009, 03:12   #20
Senior - BHPian

wrong move.unnatural sex - all kind must be deamed illegal and criminal offence.India is not USA nor Europe or a haven of Seperatist Feminists and Gay Advocates.The Correct word to use is CRUSH gay pride.It is a disorder and disease.

India has nothing to do with the western feminist revolutions of 1970's.India must remain traditional(but not like saudi arabia!).It is Our Strength.Freedom must be conditional.Especially in this context.

Hate Me for telling the truth

Last edited by deepclutch : 4th July 2009 at 03:13.
Old 4th July 2009, 04:37   #21
Senior - BHPian

what's next? legalizing pedophilia, drugs or prostitution? how about legalizing nudity like the Western culture?

I am sure there will be advocates for these issues too.

Where does one draw the fine line?

I dont oppose coz I am not the society but a small part of it and I have learnt to adhere and live along the lines it adopts.
Old 4th July 2009, 06:27   #22
Senior - BHPian

@devarshi and @deepclutch, I am assuming you are advocating govt involvement in what we do in our bedroom. wait till they prosecute you for doing anything other than "missionary" position.

while I agree it's not usual (or natural as you say), I don't like govt laws restricting what we do in our bedroom or how we choose our partners. as long as it's two consenting adults.
Old 4th July 2009, 07:23   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
@devarshi and @deepclutch, I am assuming you are advocating govt involvement in what we do in our bedroom. wait till they prosecute you for doing anything other than "missionary" position.
Well said. You made the exact point there.
Old 4th July 2009, 07:24   #24
BHPian

Hmm. I don't know if I'd call it a question of morality; more about legality. Morality may have progressed or regressed; it depends on one's value systems.

And the "whatever consensual adults do within a bedroom" is a red herring.

The Government routinely interferes with what one can do in a bedroom. I'm not even talking about pedophilia; How about consensual sex with multiple partners? How about with consensual sex with somebody's wife? How about smoking a joint? These are all arbitrary, artificial restrictions right? Yes, but they are there for a reason - civil society perceives certain things as right or wrong - the Government is merely an enforcing body.

I think the imprisonment punishment is stupid, draconian and welcome its scrapping. However, I'm not particularly thrilled with this celebration of queerness, the weird costumes and disfigurement that accompanies. Sex is a personal, private activity. I don't get the "pride" part. I think the "pride" rallies have done more to fuel the revulsion in people, rather than making them open. You cant change people's minds by going out in the open and flaunt something that they revile. The gay community needs a more subtle, nuanced approach.

I suppose the next demands would be gay marriage recognition, same rights/benefits for gay marriage. I'm not sure if this country is prepared for that.
Old 4th July 2009, 07:26   #25
BHPian

Its a disease .Have faith in GOD & enjoy what NATURE has created.We should not go against nature.
Old 4th July 2009, 07:42   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballkey View Post
The Government routinely interferes with what one can do in a bedroom. I'm not even talking about pedophilia; How about consensual sex with multiple partners? How about with consensual sex with somebody's wife? How about smoking a joint?
while we are at it, why not add murder and other kinds of crimes too?

do you know consensual sex was used for infertile couples at doctor's office (may be even today) before the test tube thing evolved?
Old 4th July 2009, 07:52   #27
Senior - BHPian

Personally,I agree with the few who don't mind appearing politically incorrect, and say that it is abnormal , and unacceptable. But criminalizing this does not help matters in any way. If at all,they need support.
Quote:
A Straw man is not exactly a great argument

Last edited by greenhorn : 4th July 2009 at 07:59.
Old 4th July 2009, 07:55   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post

do you know consensual sex was used for infertile couples at doctor's office (may be even today) before the test tube thing evolved?
Well, we're talking about "consensual" activities here. I'm pretty confident a murder will not be a consensual affair between two parties, irrespective of gender.

I'm sure infertile couples could have used consensual sex, but I don't think that makes it legal.
Old 4th July 2009, 07:56   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohit26 View Post
Its a disease .Have faith in GOD & enjoy what NATURE has created.We should not go against nature.
It is more of a (Birth) disorder and disease.but GL(gays,lesbians) are not acknowledging that.instead ,they selfishly want to prove what in a heterosexual relationship is possible.99% of the "Free Society" Supporters fails to understand what has happened to your western society? No Marriages and Immoral Society.Yeah ,For the Orthodox Indians ,we hate to acknowledge western freedom Principles.

Legalizing Homosexuality shows the amount of decay of the Society.I hope SC will interfere to save India from wanna be western freedom mongers.

Today Homosex, tomorrow Pedophilia,Day after Tomorrow Incest -there are quiet a number of possibilities.

In this case Islamic Countries and the laws they follows sometimes seems inspirational.

Last edited by deepclutch : 4th July 2009 at 07:57.
Old 4th July 2009, 07:58   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
Today Homosex, tomorrow Pedophilia,Day after Tomorrow Incest -there are quiet a number of possibilities.
deepclutch, we are not there yet, so let's not get started on the slippery slope yet
If they institutionalize gay marriage, and start handing out reservations , that would be the point where we have gone overboard

Last edited by greenhorn : 4th July 2009 at 08:02.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks