Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2009, 14:06   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Indian morality progresses - Homosexuality is now legal - A landmark day!

It was something that bothered me, that sexual choices were governed by Indian law.

Until today, to be gay and to openly have same-sex relationships was illegal in India. It was punishable by imprisonment for life, unlike Saudi Arabia where the sentence for being homosexual is death.

Section 377 of the Indian Penal Code declared that homosexuality was illegal. It was drafted in the 1800's and said that any intercourse against the order of nature (the order of nature being intercourse between a man and a woman) would be punishable with life imprisonment. This has now been modified to declare that "Consensual gay sex between adults is not a crime"
Section 377 will still stand against non-consensual gay sex and sex with minors. Good on you India.

In a nutshell, those men and women who choose to be homosexual can stand up high and proud knowing that they live in a country where laws can evolve to suit the people and not vice versa.

This ruling has made me proud. I have friends who are gay and and today is a landmark day for them - legally offering them the freedom of choice.
For me, I am happy that India is choosing to move on from archaic laws and that the court has ruled in favour of progression.

I am proud to live in a democratic country that corrects its course with time.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 3rd July 2009 at 14:11.
Old 3rd July 2009, 14:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

I still wonder why Prostitution is not made legal. Even after so many countries has proven that this actually helps women from being targeted.
Old 3rd July 2009, 14:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

Even heterosexuals have something to cheer about. A lot which would have been proscribed by the act is now legal
Old 3rd July 2009, 14:12   #4
BHPian

The ruling was due a long time. Salute the judges who played out the right verdict.

Will this bring more people out of the closet?? With the typical Indian attitudes towards homosexuality, this is not gonna change anything.
Old 3rd July 2009, 14:19   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayatarizona View Post
Will this bring more people out of the closet?? With the typical Indian attitudes towards homosexuality, this is not gonna change anything.
I think if nothing else, this will change typical Indian attitudes towards homosexuality.

I have been reading. Pubs and bars in Delhi have declared that gay couples may enter "no stags allowed" places.
Nightclub owners have accepted the ruling, stating that gay couples will get all the same treatment as regular couples as long as they abide by the house rules.
Well, almost all nightclubs.

There's a gay parade at Kalina/vakola today. Last night there were massive gay parties across Delhi and Mumbai. There were many gay people, who had never been to a gay party before. Simply because there were no gay parties, they were illegal!

No sanjay, this move is going to increase the number of people that will move out of the closet. They will be free to make their choices, legally.

As far as the moral issue of it is concerned, there are many in India (yes, even on Team-BHP) who frown at homosexuality and even consider it as a sickness. They are free to have their opinions.

India and India's government have simply stated that they respect an adult citizen's choice to be in a gay relationship.

And that is great news indeed!
Old 3rd July 2009, 14:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

Well, I don't know. Don't mistake me, I am as progressive as anyone else. My state was the first (may be the only) one to create reservation in college seats for transgenders, and that news item created warmth in my heart and made me feel proud. But not this one. Can't say why, I am unable to put my finger on it right now.

Last edited by Gansan : 3rd July 2009 at 14:20.
Old 3rd July 2009, 14:23   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Well, I don't know. I am unable to put my finger on it right now.
Gansan, please try to understand. Anyone in India is free to frown upon gay people. You may disapprove too, by all means this is your choice.
But gay people not only faced social rejection, they stood a legal chance of being thrown into JAIL for simply being gay. And that, feels wrong to me.

At least now they are not in legal trouble. Socially, I don't think much will change for them overnight. But this is a step forward in freedom and democracy IMO.
Old 3rd July 2009, 14:27   #8
Senior - BHPian

When I first heard about homosexuals, I felt it was weird. But after learning about it, the biological, scientific angles, I felt they are what they are and should not be prosecuted. I too feel really proud that we have started to tackle issues that we were not comfortable before.
The rule is not really changed in the constitution, right? Hope we do it faster.
Old 3rd July 2009, 14:27   #9
BHPian

Sam, i hope you are right. The more folks see gay couples out in the open, maybe attitudes will start changing and acceptance will creep in.
Old 3rd July 2009, 14:29   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

While I also believe that even LGBTs need their freedom to live life the way they want to, I have a feeling this "freedom" is going to be shortlived. Now, the idiotic religious groups(all of them) are going to raise hell and as usual, our political parties will pander to their whims and fancies and repeal this.

Tragic.

Last edited by Rehaan : 3rd July 2009 at 22:08. Reason: Lets not get too speicifc on the religious front, given TBHP rules. Thanks.
Old 3rd July 2009, 14:40   #11
BHPian

Indian judiciary is always practical and pragmatic about their views, however its the executive (the politicians) who are the main source of trouble. They for nuts cannot think beyond their political gains and the larger good is left to dogs.
Old 3rd July 2009, 22:14   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muralisk View Post
Indian judiciary is always practical and pragmatic about their views, however its the executive (the politicians) who are the main source of trouble.
executive is the right part, but you shud add police, not politicians, they make policies, police executes them. and police WAS the problem in most places. They will lose some REVENUE because of this. Of course all revenue flows back to politicians.
Old 3rd July 2009, 22:36   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
You may disapprove too, by all means this is your choice.
But gay people not only faced social rejection, they stood a legal chance of being thrown into JAIL for simply being gay. And that, feels wrong to me.

At least now they are not in legal trouble. Socially, I don't think much will change for them overnight. But this is a step forward in freedom and democracy IMO.
I neither approve nor disapprove, I am merely chewing on the implications right now. It is not as if they were being prosecuted regularly. Persecuted? yes. But I understand there have been less than 50 convictions under the section since 1860. So the victory is moral/notional, that of bringing the issue out in the open. As you observe, socially nothing much will change anytime soon.

I read in the papers many famous personalities and film stars endorsing the verdict with approbation. All of them were guarded in their words, saying they were really happy for "them", lest their fan following mistake the star himself for one! Well, there must be some gays among the stars and other famous personalities. Let a few of them come forward and admit they are gays! That alone, and not mere platitudes, will stimulate social change among the masses.
Old 3rd July 2009, 22:41   #14
Senior - BHPian

I totally respect this whole thing of like sex attraction as it envelopes different kind of feelings too.One has a right to choose ones own partner.No one can take away that right.
This is modern India stepping into a bold horizon.

Last edited by GTO : 8th July 2009 at 18:26. Reason: Correcting typo
Old 3rd July 2009, 22:50   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
executive is the right part, but you shud add police, not politicians, they make policies, police executes them. and police WAS the problem in most places. They will lose some REVENUE because of this. Of course all revenue flows back to politicians.
I would say that the politicians are the prime culprits who back the police. In reality, when did our police really work without any pressure from these politicians.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks