Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2009, 10:15   #1
Senior - BHPian

Our Responsibility in discarding Auto spares.

How responsible are we in discarding our used spares?

I chanced to ponder this thought last evening when i had changed the oil on my Rx 100. I witnessed that the oil lay in the container and was curious what would happen of it.
The mechanic told me that he will store the oil that can be reused and in some case spill it down the drain if the oil is unfit for reuse.
How good is reused oil for the environment?
Do you think it makes sense to spill oil into the sewage?

In the meanwhile I notice that the spares that were being replaced ended up in a shed. I beg to differ from the mech calling it a shed, it was more a enclosure with no roof which was filled with ruts of all kind. There was stench of metal and looked too dangerous to venture. Throw someone in and he is sure to get infected. There was no sign of any green anyplace except for a small lantana bush.
I am sure he would sell the same as scrap on a regular basis and earn a decent income on that. However, in the time the junk lays there, its a haven for insects, rodents and a variety of mosquitoes.

I sensed nothing could be done and that's the way it is as even this is a source of income for him, however I am sure he would not be able to sell some things like broken windshields, badly abused batteries and metal parts that were rusted completely and beyond repair.

How are we contributing to this?
If we collect our old spares and immediately hand them over to the scrap dealers, I think the time it takes to get recycled, if the case can be, or discarded in a proper manner leaves a lesser risk on the environment while it lays in a place which I am sure will never be able to witness a sprout of green.
Used tyres that lay in the open are the best suitable place for mosquito to breed as they can stagnate water. I am sure you all know this too.

Some of us are too attached to our vehicles that at times we contiribute without our knowledge to unworthy causes. Even if we find it hard to let go of our loved ones parts, it makes sense to keep them in a proper manner.

I presume the Authorised Service Centers discard their waste in a more enviroment friendly manner, yet one can never be sure.

I gave the tyre shop guy a 14 tyres last evening. Yes, it was painful.

I

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks