Old 10th July 2009, 11:34   #16
Senior - BHPian

Check out- Newegg-China

Or translated page - Google Translate
Old 10th July 2009, 12:47   #17
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilkalvani View Post
Tell your friend to buy you the "TSM Dance Master G9" & the "TSM Universal Translator"
Did you get each one of those from China? You are officially the Chandni Chowk To China Fan.
Old 10th July 2009, 13:45   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Did you get each one of those from China? You are officially the Chandni Chowk To China Fan.
Hehehe, i was just itching to write that to the query "What stuff can be got from China?". Ya i am a CC2C fan. I became a fan after seeing how such a !#$%^&*&^%^&* movie could ever be made & actually released.
Old 10th July 2009, 14:16   #19
Senior - BHPian

Fake Mont Blanc Pen (600 only - look lasts over a year and still going strong!!)
Fake victorinnox bags

As for the LCD tv, please. Net savings << Potential headaches.
Not to mention any mishandling leading to damages in transit
Old 10th July 2009, 14:20   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
6. Fake Perfumes
Stay away from food and cosmetics... the rest of the list is fine.
Old 10th July 2009, 14:29   #21
BANNED

SILK. Excellent and cheap
Old 10th July 2009, 14:40   #22
Senior - BHPian

Why not a fake Rolls Royce or Pajero?
Old 10th July 2009, 15:15   #23
Senior - BHPian

Someone mentioned Hong Kong. IMO, HK is terribly expensive - I am referring to electronic stuff mostly, but I have a feeling the prices are high across all segments.
Old 10th July 2009, 15:35   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Ok.. For a 32" LCD TV, will I be paying a duty at all ? Ain't there a limit to exemption to get stuff from China ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman7 View Post
I think you are exempt from paying custom duty till a specific amount of goods. AFAIK, 25k used to be the limit. Anything over it, and you need to pay a duty.
Passengers returning from China, or Nepal, Myanmar etc. do not have the same allowance as those returning from other countries. The allowance is just Rs. 6000/- as compared to the standard Rs. 25000/-. So be careful what you are bringing back from China. You can get pulled up even for bringing in something as petty as a computer monitor. The value of the goods you are carrying will be assessed by the customs official, and your invoice, if any, which may state a price within the allowance may not be accepted as proof of value. And in case they catch you like this, you aren't let loose just by paying the duty. You are charged with evading duty, and have to cough up a steep penalty over and above the duty amount.
Old 10th July 2009, 15:48   #25
Team-BHP Support

U oh !! There go my LCD plans.. so it will be pen drives and some of the other stuff as suggested !! :(
Old 10th July 2009, 16:13   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Passengers returning from China, or Nepal, Myanmar etc. do not have the same allowance as those returning from other countries. The allowance is just Rs. 6000/- as compared to the standard Rs. 25000/-. So be careful what you are bringing back from China. You can get pulled up even for bringing in something as petty as a computer monitor. The value of the goods you are carrying will be assessed by the customs official, and your invoice, if any, which may state a price within the allowance may not be accepted as proof of value. And in case they catch you like this, you aren't let loose just by paying the duty. You are charged with evading duty, and have to cough up a steep penalty over and above the duty amount.
OK here is a way out , Do not take any direct flight to mainland china like Jet Airways Mumbai- Shanghai , go via HongKong and on your dis-embarkation card right the country as Hongkong and you can get 25,000/- as allowance. The 6000 Rs limit is for Mainland China and not for Hongkong SAR.

In fact if you have to go to some place in South China , HK is better .
If not going via Hongkong take a flight via Bangkok , You can get visa on arrival and visit Thailand as well.

Still do not but LCD TV from China too bulky and risky to buy bigticket items.
Old 10th July 2009, 16:24   #27
BHPian

surely order pendrives

Dear ,
Surely order pendrives in bulk ( so we will get atleast some actually working ).

Recently a friend of mine has got 32 gb pendrive for just 500Rs ( but he he got it in India from some Vendor he dont want to disclose).

If you can get theses type of high capacity pen drives at similar low prices I will definietly buy 10 of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Guys,

A friend is coming from China in July end. Any idea what can be got through him ?
  • LCD TV
    - Is there a significant price difference ?
    - What about quality / warranty ?
    - Import Duty / Taxes / Custom Problems ?
    - Which brands ?

Pen Drives
What else is available cheaper in China ?
Old 10th July 2009, 19:30   #28
Senior - BHPian

you don't have to start researching and preparing a list just because your friend is returning from china.

you can get most the stuff here with B&W and retain a good friendship at the same time LOL.
Old 11th July 2009, 10:04   #29
Senior - BHPian

Hi Eddy,

thanks for your PM, let me give my view on what can be bought from China

i have been visiting china from 2001 at least 2-3 times a year for business purpose.
i have visited Shenzhen, Dongguan, Shanghai, Suzhou, Jiaxing, Beijing, Greatwall, Guilin, Macau till now.

China is very rich in heritage and culture. One can buy paintings, chinese arts, crafts, crockary sets. Guilin is very famous for its paintings and perls. In Beijing one can also buy lots of items regarding the Beijing Olympics, Great wall etc. Chinese Tea is another item which one can buy, there are hundreds of variety of tea.

Clothes especially for Children (boys and girls) is another thing you can buy in china.
you can get good quality at affordable price. Childrens school bags, trolly bags, toys remote operated cars, helicopters, etc are other things that are cheap

Regarding electronics, i am not a great fan of buying electronics in China
still memory sticks, IT peripheral products, etc that are low risk items could be purchased.

i would not recommend any one from India to buy the long ownership items like TVs, Laptops, PCs etc as quality, reliability and service etc can not be predicted even for the reputed brands.

Fake watches, shoes, clothing, etc are another item if one likes them. one can get brands like Rolex etc at 100-150 RMB rates, but i doubt the quality of these items

hope i am of help to you, if you have any questions, please PM me.
Old 11th July 2009, 11:18   #30
BHPian

On a lighter note

On a lighter note, whether ur friend brings anything or not, H1N1 should definitely not to be brought . Just a precaution, China is having H1N1 epedamic, so be careful.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks