Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2009, 00:27   #1
BHPian

New Design Software Recommendation

Hello everyone ,
I had been working on Photoshop for like some days (but not so regularly) . No doubt it is a really good software for editing . But I actually wanted to learn how to make 3-D designs and a bit of animation . I am not taking this up as a career(already enrolled for mechanical engineering with my first year starting really soon) but this is my hobby . I like to design new things or modify the existing ones . Some of you might be having a deep knowledge regarding the 3D design softwares . I know of a few like 3DS MAX , SOLIDWORKS , MAYA , AUTOCAD etc . I would be grateful to you if you could tell me which one is the easiest and the best to design 3D objects .
Thank you .
Old 15th July 2009, 01:20   #2
Senior - BHPian

Depends on what kind of stuff you want to design, and what else you want from the application. Each application makes it quite easy to design 3D objects, it's really upto your requirements. There's no one-size-fits-all application, which is why there is so much variety.
Old 15th July 2009, 01:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

I think you will be happy with either 3DS MAX or Maya.
Old 15th July 2009, 02:27   #4
Team-BHP Support

DSC,

If your goal is just to play around and come up with some nice renderings etc - avoid solidworks and autocad from your list. They are more geared towards engineers / manufacturing etc - whereas 3DS and Maya are more geared towards creating and animation + can produce some some great renderings.

Take a look at this thread : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...-maya-etc.html

cya
R

PS - Personally, i love the interface of maya. It just seems to make creating and playing around much easier than the other softwares listed.
Old 15th July 2009, 08:20   #5
BHPian

@Pranavt ,abhibh and Rehaan
Thanks a lot guys .
Well i think i wont go for some serious software for now as i have ample amount of time left to make things better . Thanks for the suggestion Rehaan . I would either go for 3DS Max or Maya as i want to brush up my skills and get an idea what 3D designing is all about before i work on the hardcore 3D designing softwares .
Thanks again .
Old 15th July 2009, 10:55   #6
BHPian

Look up a software called Blender, It is an opensource project and quite mature. It is pretty good and could be as powerful as Maya or Alias if used well.

Above all it is Free :-)
Old 15th July 2009, 13:24   #7
BHPian

Thank you i shall consider that also .
Ill go through their description and get hold of the one whichever is appropriate for me .
Old 15th July 2009, 16:07   #8
Senior - BHPian

The Blender control interface is completely unlike the rest, atleast it was the last time I saw it. Between Maya and 3DS, if you're going for modelling, 3DS is much more suited, whereas Maya has a lot more going for it in the MoCap and animation department.
Old 16th July 2009, 12:30   #9
BHPian

thanks again @pranavt
I already downloaded Blender 2.49 and have put 3DS Max on downloading . I found blender pretty good also , atleast for starting with it . Will work on 3DS as soon as it gets done .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks