Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2009, 10:09   #31
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
And suddenly my loyalty to forest/nature cause is a suspect because I am unable to make a symbolic gesture?
you are taking this too seriously. I was just thinking aloud about how we can persuade the Chinese authorities to clamp down on tiger parts trade. You do realise diplomatically India has very little leverage with this neighbour and its such a dicey scene with China.

Trade is a powerful tool and India as a market is something China cannot ignore.

While I have limited knowledge about the Indo chinese relationship I reckon India has much more to worry about with China than tiger parts trade. I see the Chinese demand for Arunachal Pradesh a much bigger problem and you never know what those guys will suddenly decide to do about it.
Old 22nd July 2009, 10:15   #32
BHPian

People should remember that a large part of what is called the "Chinese market" for tiger body parts is actually a "Tibetan Market", and here India does have a lever in the form of the Dalai Lama who has taken refuge here.

On a call from the Dalai Lama, people burned thousands of tiger skin coats (a symbol of manhood in Tibet). So people like the Dalai Lama can be roped in to make an effort in the direction of educating people.
Old 22nd July 2009, 17:43   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
Here's one other reason why wild animals should not be fed.
Fast food is indeed dangerous.

Boards like these need to be installed on the forest highways to deter people from feeding wild animals.
I get annoyed when I see people feeding monkeys and deer on the mudumalai, bandipur roads. The deer are so used to this now that I feel they hardly venture into the forest to feed. The cycle stops here.

Also, this makes a lot of difference in all aspects, remember, "as timid as a deer." This no longer exists, the deer are hand fed and are no longer scared to come into human contact.

Annoying.
Old 23rd July 2009, 11:04   #34
Senior - BHPian

For the wildlife week:

1. We can start at home (T-BHP) by, having the banner on the top of this page (flash) featuring endangered species of India, for the month of October.

2. Team-BHP stickers which were very successful, why not combine the same Team-BHP stickers ( Tiger, Panther skin print edition) with "Save wildlife", "I support conservation", "Save the Tiger", "Save the forest" messages.... these stickers all over India makes a big impact on the Team-BHP-Wildlife partnership and campaign. Part of the proceeds can go for the cause.

3. Organize events by T-BHPians in all major metro's and rope in sponsors for these events. This way T-BHP will get national media coverage and who knows how far it can go.

4. Officially invite members to contribute for the cause and list the contributions along with names on T-BHP.

5. Sign an online petetion from members of Team-BHP to the Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh and Minister for state for forest and environment, Mr. Jairam Ramesh.

We are 40,000 strong community.

More ideas, criticism welcome.

Regards,
Old 23rd July 2009, 15:45   #35
BHPian

I wish we can get an audience with the Forest Minister. Hopefully that should do a big difference.
Old 23rd July 2009, 17:14   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoranjit View Post
I wish we can get an audience with the Forest Minister. Hopefully that should do a big difference.
No name pulling here. My friend is in the timber business, it is usual for him to bribe the state mininster- forest, DFO and others to keep his business running.
This is in a particular state and I do not wish to name the region.

You try to make one thing better and there are people ready with loop holes.
I am not a critic, this is a fact, as I have a general aversion to many a politician.
Old 23rd July 2009, 17:33   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
I am not a critic, this is a fact, as I have a general aversion to many a politician.
you are right beejay. But they are the ultimate decision makers. End of the day, they are the ones who decide.
Old 24th July 2009, 07:04   #38
Senior - BHPian

Beejay and Neoranjit,
You both are 100% right in your own right.
But.... guys I need some feedback on the below T-BHP proposal, you two were so involved, seriously. Now I feel how will others respond should this proposal materialize.
Regards,

Last edited by fazalaliadil : 24th July 2009 at 07:07.
Old 24th July 2009, 17:45   #39
Senior - BHPian

It is heartening to see a dedicated thread on wildlife in T-BHP. And I think I can say it for sure that this thing happened of Fazal saab's pictures & travelogue

See what just pictures can do to people here. It definitely encourages people to think beyond their offices and homes. And I believe those pictures coupled with some great initiatives will definitely help in inspiring fellow T-Bhpians to contribute in some form or the other.

Fazal saab, great ideas you have stated here. I'm hoping that this will go on to be big in some way. Keep 'em coming!!!

@DKG, it is a very novel idea to introduce paper bags at the forest checkposts. Also thank you for creating a thread.

But, proper care should be taken to ensure that these paper bags also are disposed of carefully.

Btw, are these paper bags made of recycled paper. It would be better if it was, but I guess it will cost more.

@beejay & ranjit: sadly, the world we live is ruled by corrupt politicians who take decisions only on monetary basis. What can we expect from these kind of people? These are the people who abandon their voters after the elections, how will they support any cause where there are no votes?

The Karnataka govt recently went ahead and laid the foundation stone for a hydel project on Kemphole river in Gundya in Hassan district. This, without even getting a formal environmental clearance. This project will submerge thousands of hectares of pristine rainforest. Atleast for formalities' sake, they could have waited for the clearance, which I'm sure they would have got anyway, by hook or crook.

The least thing we can do here is to be optimistic and hope for the best
Old 24th July 2009, 18:09   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
The Karnataka govt recently went ahead and laid the foundation stone for a hydel project on Kemphole river in Gundya in Hassan district.
Very true! But at the end of the day, Hydel power is much greener than nuclear or thermal forms. I hope they compensate it through some degree of afforestation.

@DKG : Great topic though! Its really inspiring to see the efforts in reducing the garbage in Srisailam.

I have something similar to this in Bannerghatta. (not sure if they still do it now). They ask all visitors to discard the plastics in the bins and they provide paper covers. The butterfly park in Bannerghatta is maintained extremely well. I hope routes through Nagarhole and Bandipur are free from plastics too. Its just a matter of will power of authorities.
Old 24th July 2009, 19:02   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Beejay and Neoranjit,
You both are 100% right in your own right.
But.... guys I need some feedback on the below T-BHP proposal, you two were so involved, seriously. Now I feel how will others respond should this proposal materialize.
Regards,
The proposal is definitely a good one. I like the idea of the stickers with the save wildlife campaign mooted by you.

Again, I do not want to be a critic. Yet, you need to know this.

I am sure you are aware of the silver owl, this owl is of great value and a rare specie. Even in terms of monetary this bird is of great importance. I am aware of a person, who has a pair in his estate. Someone has offered him an astronomical sum for this bird. The irony is that they had come in a vehicle with the decal, "save the silver owl."
Old 24th July 2009, 19:06   #42
Team-BHP Support

I have a question about Birds.
Of late I see atleast a hundred Black Kites around the Masab Tank flyover.
They fly above Chacha Nehru Park and the flyover.

Why are there so many of them concentrated around here.

I love the majestic show they put on every evening for me. But I am curios, why is there such a sudden spurt in their population.
Is it a good thing or does it mean some balance is off.

Since the place also sees a lot of parrots and pigeons.
I am worried about the parrots.

thanks,
Old 24th July 2009, 20:39   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
The proposal is definitely a good one. I like the idea of the stickers with the save wildlife campaign mooted by you.

Again, I do not want to be a critic. Yet, you need to know this.

I am sure you are aware of the silver owl, this owl is of great value and a rare specie. Even in terms of monetary this bird is of great importance. I am aware of a person, who has a pair in his estate. Someone has offered him an astronomical sum for this bird. The irony is that they had come in a vehicle with the decal, "save the silver owl."
It is Barn Owl which is nowadays said to be traded for for very high prices. (supposedly for superstitious purposes) It is frequently being seized in Kerala. Its habitat is mostly outside forest areas.
Old 25th July 2009, 08:50   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitha View Post
It is Barn Owl which is nowadays said to be traded for for very high prices. (supposedly for superstitious purposes) It is frequently being seized in Kerala. Its habitat is mostly outside forest areas.
A barn owl is different from a silver owl.
Old 25th July 2009, 11:21   #45
BANNED

guys i enrolled for the e-statement only from hsbc credit cards.

they have this no paper statement thing going on. is there honestly some advantage to the forest due to this? .

i thought paper is made from recycled materials. hence we are using old paper to make new paper right? then how does this help.?

Most Viewed