Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2012, 19:23   #226
Mik
BHPian

Re: How long you drove your car before it got a scratch/dent

In 3600km of driving my new car, never had a scratch in gurgaon traffic. But, the stupid service center guys were magnanimous enough to scratch my car in the service center itself. That doesn't count, right
Old 18th October 2012, 19:35   #227
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by humans View Post
I think this would be the fastest scratch for a car out of showroom. I took the delivery of my Punto, took it home which was barely 10 mins away from dealer. Parked in front of house and went with wife upstairs to get Pooja thaali and by the time opened the house door, heard the obvious sound of metal hitting metal. Went downstairs to see some locality kids have banged their bicycle in back of the car. Left some deep scratches in right side back bumper and fender just next to lights. So the car was scratch less for just 15 minutes out of showroom. My wife was very depressed seeing that and I was smiling as nothing else I could do at that point.
If it is any consolation, I got my car pre-scratched at the time of delivery.. all thanks to the idiotic sales adviser who had sent the car out for getting the reverse-camera fixed.
Old 18th October 2012, 20:08   #228
BHPian

Hi everybody
On wednesday I took delivery of the car and on friday or saturday a lady parking her linea scraped it.After a few days she again did.
Unfortunately did not even have the courtesy to apologize.
Regards
Old 1st November 2012, 23:30   #229

Hey guys, so it was my first car in India the Vento. After around 200 km I made a dent on the boot near the VW badge by hitting a tree while reversing. It felt so light, never expected a dent. Being a brand new car and being new to the Indian scenario I was devastated and made frantic attempts to contact the service station. Went there next day only to realize that the cost of 5K and keeping the car with them for 2 days was not worth it. Since then there are couple of scratches deep and minor. However, knowing the huge difference in prices between service station and other paint shops will in all probability get it done elsewhere for less than half the cost.
Old 2nd November 2012, 06:54   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77
Hi everybody
On wednesday I took delivery of the car and on friday or saturday a lady parking her linea scraped it.After a few days she again did.
Regards
Sad... One lady rear ended my Linea when I was waiting in a traffic jam. When I politely asked her to drive carefully (was just paint damage) she replied "I will hit your car again, what will you do?" We can't even fight with women :(
Old 2nd November 2012, 09:14   #231
BHPian

My first dent and surprisingly first major scratch too, Its Swift VXi-2008 with Odo 39000 was waiting for the green signal on right lane (where no U-turn in big board displayed). A careless water tanker lorry driver came through middle lane tried to take the U turn and in that effort he reversed..Etc. Bumper got a big dent and headlight bracket got broken. I did not take reverse, as there was another car behind.

This incident witnessed by CTP SI and constable, they intervened and asked our driving license and I showed him but the other guy was not showing anything rather than exchanging some secrets. Then traffic constable was asking the tanker person to pay some fine for negligent driving. Also asked myself to speak with the water tanker people to get the compensation or else they will inform control room to register the case. I spoke with the cleaner and driver and they were not ready to give any compensation and in fact tried to bully on me saying the tanker owned by a local politician..Etc and they made some calls. In 10-15 minutes, few people came in a Scorpio who claded in white dress and claimed that they own the tanker requested me to sort out the issue without case. After few negotiations, they gave me 3000/- bucks and closed it.
At the end I lost my NCB and 1000/- bucks from my pocket. Also first road accident in my 18 year driving experience
Old 27th December 2012, 22:31   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Hi everybody
Regards
I am sorry, but did you not do anything and just kept watching her scrape your car again and again? . If I were you, I would have taken a brick and atleast threaten to break her windshield if she came anywhere close to my car ever again.
Old 27th December 2012, 22:40   #233
Senior - BHPian

I dont remember the first scratch, now that there have been so many of them in the last 6 years of owning the car. The first dent was within the first week. Was driving the car on ORR towards ITPL and there is a lorry in my front.. I hear a loud thud coming from the left side of my bonnet and all through the next 25 mins of my drive to ITPL, i kept praying that it should be a tennis ball and not a stone. But alas, if wishes were to come true, I would have retired long back. Coming back to the story, there is a medium size dent, a stone did hit through the bonnet and luckily did not hit the windscreen, else I would have been even more devastated.

Next day, mom see's the dent and this being the first car in the family she was aghast. She did tell me not to touch the car ever again, though I dint listen.

I never bothered to get the dent removed, just got the paint touched up to ensure it doesnt rust and whenever I see the dent, which is almost daily, I am reminded of that day and my mom's reaction.
Old 28th December 2012, 09:06   #234
BHPian

First Scratch in my Fiat Punto(sold) is after 4500 Kms. A bicycle parked near my car fell over the front left door.
Already got a scratch on my new Swift (1190 KMs), some sick guy had done purposely by using a sharp object while parked at Chennai, Tambaram railway station.
Old 28th December 2012, 12:01   #235
BHPian

My Duster got its first dent after one week of driving on Old madras road.
Frigging tempo travellers driving diagonally.
Old 28th December 2012, 12:30   #236
BHPian

After carefully driving my new Vento for almost 4 months & 4000 Kms it got a thin but long scratch. Guess when? I had parked it outside my in-laws place pretty much off the road. A kid learning bicycle loses control and bangs on side leaving me & my car damaged :(
Old 28th December 2012, 15:23   #237
BHPian

I still remember the fatefull day. 3rd day with 200kms on odo. It was a very rainy and windy morning and I was taking my car out of my basement parking. Right in the middle of the climb, the heavy and monsterous gate slided and crashed my left mirror and dent on the front fender.
Unlike the recent hindi flick(OMG) the insurance guys did not term it as "Act of God" and repaired it.
Remember fellas,
1.The first dent on the car is actually a dent on the heart
2.The second dent hardly gets repaired.

Cheers,
Old 28th December 2012, 19:40   #238
Senior - BHPian

mine is a 10sec car!

took delivery of the car and was getting out of the showroom and bang, an auto wallah nips my right wing mirror - within the first 10sec of taking ownership!!

i was
Old 29th December 2012, 09:00   #239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post

I am sorry, but did you not do anything and just kept watching her scrape your car again and again? . If I were you, I would have taken a brick and atleast threaten to break her windshield if she came anywhere close to my car ever again.
Haha. Threaten to break something else instead. Then, she can keep scouting the markets for a few years in search of the spares . Well, that's FIAT for you!

Inline with the thread, the first bang for my car was when a rick banged into the left side of the bumper at a signal when the car was stationary. This was after 4 months and 1500 clicks on the odometer. To be honest, my car has been mostly nicked by ricks and that too, when the car is stationary. Seems like i am jinxed :(

Last edited by MetalBuff : 29th December 2012 at 09:10.
Old 29th December 2012, 15:08   #240
Senior - BHPian

Well it isnt mine so not sure if it counts but the incident is worth narrating. I was at a TATA dealership in western Delhi which was like bang on the road. It happened about 8 years back I think, when the metro work was still going on and the entire traffic used to be channelised through the narrow side lanes. The sales guy told me to wiat for 5 minutes as they were giving delivery to another gentleman of this brand new white Safari. I watched with happiness as the proud owner took the keys, got a picture taken, sat in and drove off. We all watched as he proudly started to exit the dealership and then suddenly a loud bang, crash and all sorts of noises of tearing metal and hsattered glass. And then silence. I could not believe my eyes. The Safari had its entire bonnet ripped off by a speeding blue line bus. The engine lay on the road and the remaing body lay parallel to the dealership. What do you say to a guy in that situation?
wanderernomad is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed