Team-BHP > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: Was the Apollo moon landing a hoax?
Yes 29 51.79%
No 27 48.21%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2009, 08:49   #46
Team-BHP Support

The scam theory is not new, nor was it created by US hating foreigners.

I have seen the above mentioned video on ABC in the mid 90s, and it was a re-run I believe. I have seen the videos that allege the scam and the one that refutes the scam. The problem is that scam proponents are lot more convincing. And there are reasons for that. The moon landings (1969-72) happened when US was going under one of the worst confidence crisis. The credibility of US government was at the lowest ebb in the eyes of the citizens due to the vietnam war, the draft, anti-war protests, rogue-CIA operations, civil rights agitation, and leaders like LBJ and Nixon. In short, the US government at that time would stoop to any level, so the fake-landings, if it happened, was not beneath them.

So, don't look at current US government and make your opinions. Was it a scam? I don't know. But they were capable of it though.
Old 22nd July 2009, 09:49   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
finally someone else in this thread with some sanity. This thread was created with the sole intention of bashing America and its achievements, why i dunno :(
Mate... please do not think like that. It was not the intention at all. Did someone here bash America? We are only discussing about what happened during the 'moon landing phase' of the apollo project. I don't want to mock the achievements of your Country and I know that it is a country of great achievements! (I didn't mean 9/11 - no sarcasm meant)

Someone here asked if thelandings were fake, what happened to all those scientists who worked for the project. Of course they worked hard, 24*7 and there had been a lot of technological advancements during the course of the project. The austronauts might have even travelled into outer space. The scope for the consipracy argument begins from only there IMO.

As we all know, any sceintific breakthrough which happens, will not just get stopped there. More reserach will continue on its path and as time progresses - given the mammoth rate at which technology grows - mankind will invent new techniques or better ways of doing things in that area. Take anything as an example, except the moon landing.

Last edited by clevermax : 22nd July 2009 at 09:52.
Old 22nd July 2009, 11:16   #48
BHPian

Why is it so easy to beleive that it wasn't done ?

The "inconsistencies" that conspiracy theorists point out in the lunar videos & images are akin to mathematical fallacies, they appear to be genuine, but anybody with some knowledge of the subject can easily identify why they're incorrect (anybody's who's tried to photograph stars would know that it'd be impossible to get them on film when also shooting a bright subject 15 feet away). Each & every inconsistency has been refuted with scientific evidence, its simply that some people choose to ignore it & believe the landings were faked (for reasons that only they are privy to).

And since when did movies become definitive proof of conspiracies ('Capricorn One' was decent movie though) ? How is it more credible than, say, 'Apollo 13' ? Many people ask the question why we've not it done it since, its simple, its too expensive & the political will has not existed since. The Egyptians built the pyramids thousand of years ago, going by the same logic, Egypt should be full of bigger & better pyramids now. The conspiracy theorists would have us believe, that the technology did not exist all those years ago & the pyramids were simply dropped on us by aliens !

Our current technical advances can only take us so far, internal combustion engines still have very poor efficiency, & Karl Benz or Henry Ford would have no problem identifying the basic elements of today's engines if they were alive today - the same applies to rocket engines, enough technology was available (or rather developed) to get to the moon. Humans built the Saturn-V (my favorite machine) & landed on the moon in 1969 & made 5 more landings.
Old 22nd July 2009, 11:22   #49
Senior - BHPian

Moon Landing being a hoax is a whole theory that has been repeatedly discussed and dusted.
I only ask one question,40 yrs since Apollo 11 landed on so called moon,why havent US sent another spacecraft or any other country try this? The answer is obvious.It is not possible.Hence Moon shot was a total hoax.
Old 22nd July 2009, 11:26   #50
Team-BHP Support

The poll here is a joke.
On what basis can the majority base their answer.
Gut feel on Science.

Non sense.
Old 22nd July 2009, 11:40   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
This thread was created with the sole intention of bashing America and its achievements, why i dunno :(
Awe shucks man! Classic e.g of the innocent, media trusting, good natured general public, being dragged due to no fault of theirs.
Did someone say achievements?!
Yes, there have been many which have helped humanity.
Others have been totally inhuman!
But wait a minute, in the last one, the pagans/zeelots got what they wanted and the Fed got total control of reserves.
So yes , 2 birds in one shot, is an achievement .
Old 22nd July 2009, 11:42   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
Many people ask the question why we've not it done it since, its simple, its too expensive...
Are those space missions any cheaper? What about the Mars mission? Was that an economy package? Or is it that NASA is not at all interested in the moon any longer.

You are comparing the moon mission with the pyramids! Come on.. they are ancient structures, which the modern world need not continue building(!) whereas exploring moon further could be scientifically beneficial, right?
Old 22nd July 2009, 11:42   #53
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Non sense.
You summed up this thread quite well there.

Sikander ne Porus, se khi thi ladayi, to ki thi ladayi to mein kya karu?

About 9/11 all those saying it was a conspiracy of the US government itself because of the way the building came down. Try and watch Megastructures on National Geographic, you will be enlightened that during the building phase itself they are designed to do that.

This is a bustling city, the buildings are build in such a way to minimize damage to the surroundings if they do fall.

Please try to get your facts right, unless you are one of those who sat with the US government and planned 9/11. Then i dont have a case.

I asked this moon landing question to one of the highest authority on space. He has probably spend all his life in space. During the discussion i told him that people are doubting this claim. I captured his expression at that exact moment, attached below.

@MODS: Could not attach the gif image. Tried resizing but didnt work. So posted it off an external site. Please delete it if you guys think it should not be there. Sorry for breaking the rules.

Last edited by Spitfire : 22nd July 2009 at 12:01.
Old 22nd July 2009, 12:10   #54
BHPian

The pyramids were built by aliens !

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Are those space missions any cheaper? What about the Mars mission? Was that an economy package?
Way back in 1969, the Apollo program costed ~25 Billion USD, or ~140 Billion USD in today's money. The cost of the Mars Rover program was ~800 Million USD in 2005 - yes, it was an "economy" program in comparison to the Apollo lunar program.

Quote:
You are comparing the moon mission with the pyramids! Come on.. they are ancient structures, which the modern world need not continue building(!)
The comparison was made because both achievements were deemed impossible for their time. The Egyptians had only copper tools at that time, & copper is a soft metal, more than 200,000 stones had to be quarried, cut, & placed with precision, not to mention the fact that each stone weighed ~2.5 tons with some stones as heavy as 16 tons. Come to think of it, there's probably a hieroglyph somewhere depicting flying saucers placing the pyramids in position

Quote:
whereas exploring moon further could be scientifically beneficial, right?
Except as a stepping stone to Mars & beyond, what "scientific benefit" do you see in further exploration of the Moon ? Moon life ? And if the whole thing was faked, what's stopping other countries from doing the same ? Ethics ? Do you think the pyramids were built for "scientific benefit", most often, its about making a statement than anything else.

Last edited by im_srini : 22nd July 2009 at 12:13.
Old 22nd July 2009, 12:11   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
About 9/11 all those saying it was a conspiracy of the US government itself because of the way the building came down. Try and watch Megastructures on National Geographic, you will be enlightened that during the building phase itself they are designed to do that.

This is a bustling city, the buildings are build in such a way to minimize damage to the surroundings if they do fall.
Hain!?? Before 9/11 there was more focus on how to counter damages during earthquakes, and during pulling down of huge megastructures after their safety term is over. Hence after that, charges were placed at specific locations within the old complex and set off batch by batch to create what is called as an implosion rather than explosion to avoid damage to surrounding.
No one designed bulidings and expected planes to go through them, let alone counter designing if such a thing ever happened.

I have watched these episodes and also watched the one episode where in the chief design engineer in charge of the Twin towers was in tears when he said this to the people 'I'm sorry to not have anticipated this when I designed the building'. (I am dead sure of having watched this.)

The best believeable and popular theory goes thus:
They knew this was gonna happen. They placed the charges. They could have stopped it. They did not want to stop it. They used this, are using, and will use this incident for other deals, promises, treaties, bans invasions and what not.
They have gained more than they have lost due to this incident.
Now isn't that an investment ?

And that expression of Capt. Spock is probably: 'How do these guys know the truth' OR rather 'So the truth is finally out' kinda expression.

Last edited by prince_pervez : 22nd July 2009 at 12:21.
Old 22nd July 2009, 12:32   #56
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
They knew this was gonna happen. They placed the charges. They could have stopped it. They did not want to stop it.
I believe you now. Your explanations are beyond doubt. Thanks for enlightening me.

Regards
King Kong

Last edited by Spitfire : 22nd July 2009 at 12:36.
Old 22nd July 2009, 12:33   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Mate... please do not think like that. It was not the intention at all. Did someone here bash America? We are only discussing about what happened during the 'moon landing phase' of the apollo project. I don't want to mock the achievements of your Country and I know that it is a country of great achievements! (I didn't mean 9/11 - no sarcasm meant)

Someone here asked if thelandings were fake, what happened to all those scientists who worked for the project. Of course they worked hard, 24*7 and there had been a lot of technological advancements during the course of the project. The austronauts might have even travelled into outer space. The scope for the consipracy argument begins from only there IMO.

As we all know, any sceintific breakthrough which happens, will not just get stopped there. More reserach will continue on its path and as time progresses - given the mammoth rate at which technology grows - mankind will invent new techniques or better ways of doing things in that area. Take anything as an example, except the moon landing.
Your first post in the thread is pretty much a mockery of the whole project! Someone didnt ask if it was fake, u were the one who said u didnt believe it was real. What more proof do u want that it was??? Ok, what am i supposed to think when someone starts a thread demeaning (by this i mean accusations of the moon landing being fake) the achievements of my country and its brave men and women who accomplished those things. Yes, scientific research does continue and has continued since the moon landings. Even that show Mythbusters debunked the consipiracies by going to the "Apache Point Observatory, which is equipped with a high-powered laser. They first fired it at the bare lunar surface but did not detect the laser bouncing back. They then pointed the laser at a retroreflector left behind by Apollo 15 and received a confirmed bounce." Please look at my wikipedia link from earlier or this one Wikipedia and go through it. Then see what you think. I know conspiracy theories are fun, but the moon landing one is a real stupid one. EDIT: the link on wikipedia to the mythbusters episode: Wikipedia

Last edited by CaliAtenza : 22nd July 2009 at 12:34.
Old 22nd July 2009, 12:36   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Moon Landing being a hoax is a whole theory that has been repeatedly discussed and dusted.
I only ask one question,40 yrs since Apollo 11 landed on so called moon,why havent US sent another spacecraft or any other country try this? The answer is obvious.It is not possible.Hence Moon shot was a total hoax.
Whats the point in sending humans back to the moon when we have already done it..the target is mars now.
Old 22nd July 2009, 12:37   #59
Senior - BHPian

You know what, I think even 26/11 also is a hoax created by Indian govt. There is no outside hand involved in it. It's done by RAW or some other agency like that.
Even Rakesh Sharma going to space was a big hoax just to satiate our Indian ego. He never even had set foot in a space shuttle actually.
All those INSAT pictures we are seeing are also photoshop jobs. How can they be real?
Nuclear tests were also big hoax only. It was conspiracy by America to alienate us.
There are so many more I want to say.

Carry on people, what I came to know about us is that when someone achieves something we are never the first one to congratulate but wait for others to put a stamp on it and then we clap. But this applause normally just to show that we also can appreciate but deep in our mind we are bleeding with jealousy. So next time whenever there is a slightest hint of demeaning that achievement, we just pounce on it, take it to the next level. That's how we are, we can see the same in each and every walk of life.
But end of the day, what remains as truth is that they did it, and they did it long 40 years back and all we can do is to sit and sulk.
Old 22nd July 2009, 12:38   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Hain!?? Before 9/11 there was more focus on how to counter damages during earthquakes, and during pulling down of huge megastructures after their safety term is over. Hence after that, charges were placed at specific locations within the old complex and set off batch by batch to create what is called as an implosion rather than explosion to avoid damage to surrounding.
No one designed bulidings and expected planes to go through them, let alone counter designing if such a thing ever happened.

I have watched these episodes and also watched the one episode where in the chief design engineer in charge of the Twin towers was in tears when he said this to the people 'I'm sorry to not have anticipated this when I designed the building'. (I am dead sure of having watched this.)

The best believeable and popular theory goes thus:
They knew this was gonna happen. They placed the charges. They could have stopped it. They did not want to stop it. They used this, are using, and will use this incident for other deals, promises, treaties, bans invasions and what not.
They have gained more than they have lost due to this incident.
Now isn't that an investment ?

And that expression of Capt. Spock is probably: 'How do these guys know the truth' OR rather 'So the truth is finally out' kinda expression.

Most Viewed