Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2009, 12:40   #1
BHPian

News: Kalam was frisked, made to wait at Delhi airport

This is pretty frustrating news. While I'm for security, how can Continental Airlines ignore set protocols for frisking exemption!

Source: IBN Live

Kalam was frisked, made to wait at Delhi airport

Former president Dr A P J Abdul Kalam was frisked at the Delhi international airport by employees of an American airline when he was traveling to the US a month ago.

Sources at the airport said employees of Continental Airlines frisked Kalam in what is called the second line of security check. He was made to take off his shoes and asked to wait before being frisked.

The Central Industrial Security Force, which is in charge of overall security of the airport, and a protocol officer objected at the time but the US airlines insisted on frisking Kalam. The matter was raised with the Ministry of Civil Aviation.

Civil Aviation Minister Praful Patel on Tuesday said the incident would be probed and apologies would be asked for if "anybody is found wrong",.

"Whatever is needed, the government will do. I have just been told about this issue. If anybody is found wrong, they will have to tender an apology," said Patel.

India has a list of VIPs exempted from routine security checks and frisking. This is applicable even when they are travelling by commercial flights.

The list includes 18 VIPs including the President, Vice-President, Prime Minister, former Presidents, Lok Sabha Speaker, Chief Ministers, Chief Justices of High Courts and the Cabinet Secretary.
Old 21st July 2009, 12:49   #2
BHPian

Happened more than a month ago. Its a definite protocol lapse.

But admire Kalam for not making it a big issue. Imagine what a ruckus some of our local politicians would have created if some protocol lapse happened in their case.

I'm not justifying the incident, but better to err on the side of being more stringent with security rather than be too lax with it.
Old 21st July 2009, 13:02   #3
Senior - BHPian

What a shame and that too in our own country. Why are we kowtowing to US such big time? I heard that once when US started frisking and bodily checking all non US nationals Brasil retaliated by exempting everyone but US nationals from bodily frisking at their airports. Now that what I call giving US a taste of its own medicine.
Old 21st July 2009, 13:05   #4
Team-BHP Support

I don't see anything wrong in it. They checked him like a civilian, fine. No issues.
Old 21st July 2009, 13:08   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
I heard that once when US started frisking and bodily checking all non US nationals Brasil retaliated by exempting everyone but US nationals from bodily frisking at their airports. Now that what I call giving US a taste of its own medicine.
Six years back, defense minister Mr. George Fernandis got similar treatment at us airport.

Quote:
@EDDY--I don't see anything wrong in it. They checked him like a civilian, fine. No issues.
then by this logic, us secretary of states should have given similar treatment while she was in India and claim that checked like civilian, fine, no issue.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 21st July 2009 at 13:11.
Old 21st July 2009, 13:10   #6
BANNED

Perfect example of the Idiom: Making a Mountain of a Molehill.
Old 21st July 2009, 13:10   #7
Senior - BHPian

I think the incident just highlights the following:

1. That Kalam is a great guy
2. Continental was doing its job
Old 21st July 2009, 13:19   #8
Team-BHP Support

As long as its done in a civil manner, any former office holder can be checked. And as said above, someone is just doing his job and Kalaam is a great guy.
Old 21st July 2009, 13:33   #9
BANNED

Everyone should be treated equally, V.V.I.P or not!
Indian authorities should learn from this & tighten their own security & start frisking every International passenger be it a dignitary or a commoner.
Old 21st July 2009, 13:39   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
I think the incident just highlights the following:

1. That Kalam is a great guy
2. Continental was doing its job
Entirely agree, that is the way
Old 21st July 2009, 14:05   #11
BHPian

ummmm....why is it newsworthy, praytell? Are we all not frisked when we travel by air? Why should Kalam or anybody else be treated differently? Unless and until people who make policies also feel the brunt of it, we will keep getting clueless policies. I am all for this. Second step, dont halt the traffic for motorcades. Let these guys roast in some interminable traffic jams. We might just get better roads sooner.
Old 21st July 2009, 14:43   #12
BHPian

I think some people are missing the point. I'm not against frisking, it is needed process. The point is there is already an official protocol in place that exempts certain dignitaries from frisking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverR View Post

India has a list of VIPs exempted from routine security checks and frisking. This is applicable even when they are travelling by commercial flights.

The list includes 18 VIPs including the President, Vice-President, Prime Minister, former Presidents, Lok Sabha Speaker, Chief Ministers, Chief Justices of High Courts and the Cabinet Secretary.

Now unless Continental Airlines thought that Dr. Kalam looked like a dangerous passenger, it does not justify their insistence to frisk him.

Well, going by the other posts, looks like I'm just over-reacting on this incident. Sorry guys, my respect for Dr. Kalam was hurt by reading this. End of issue.

Last edited by DriverR : 21st July 2009 at 14:56.
Old 21st July 2009, 15:05   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think some people are missing the point. Unless Continental Airlines thought that Dr. Kalam looked like a dangerous passenger, it does not justify their insistence to frisk him.
Yours is valid point.
No one is against frisking. As per some posts, continental was doing their duty/job.
Point here is that when protocol officer says that the passenger is ex president of India then also continental insist the frisking. That means they are not bothered about the protocol.
Do continental airlines frisk ex US President if he is returning from India to US?

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 21st July 2009 at 15:10.
Old 21st July 2009, 15:06   #14
Senior - BHPian

The objection officially is that this breached protocol. praful Patel himself said that this is a breach of protocol.
If this is an international/national protocol then the frisking was unwarranted.
I'm sure Adbul kalam took it in his stride though, but the news channels now have a new story!
Old 21st July 2009, 15:14   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think some people are missing the point. I'm not against frisking, it is needed process. The point is there is already an official protocol in place that exempts certain dignitaries from frisking.

Now unless Continental Airlines thought that Dr. Kalam looked like a dangerous passenger, it does not justify their insistence to frisk him.

Well, going by the other posts, looks like I'm just over-reacting on this incident. Sorry guys, my respect for Dr. Kalam was hurt by reading this. End of issue.
No, you are not the only one to feel that way. Make it +1.

This is simply unacceptable and I strongly disagree that Continental was doing its job. Dr. Kalam is a great guy no doubt, but even if it was ex rubber stamp President of India, I would have felt as much strongly. It's about dignity of the post and not any individual.

Looks like Continental folks need to be taught protocol before doing business in India (or any country). They better apologize or get kicked out of India.

No sovereign country would accept such nonsense under the guise of security. There was protocol officer with Dr. Kalam, so none should even plead ignorance.

If he was not supposed to be frisked as per the protocol, he should NOT have been. Period!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks