Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2016, 14:02   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: All about Bathroom fittings and plumbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Anyone has any idea about how to stop showers from getting salt/impurity clogs?
I have a brilliant offer for a full cubicle singing dancing showering system, but in my apartment complex, the water supply is pretty bad, in that, all my showers clog up in about 2-3 months.
Sorry, but did not want to create a new thread, and this seemed like the closest match for a query.
If its a detachable shower head then you can remove it and soak it in a vinegar and water solution ( 60:40). Let it sit there for an hour or 2 and then wash it with running water.

I do this religiously once every 2 months with our rain showers. The most stubborn calcium deposits also give away when its "acetic vinegar". Spray the same vinegar concoction to all the faucets/shower mixers/taps and let it sit for an hour or so. Wash it off with running water and you will be surprised with the way vinegar cleans off all calcium/hard water deposits.

I use the same mixture with a bit of lime juice to clean the shower cubicles at home. A good alternative to Lime juice is Vim Liquid in a very small proportion.

Be advised that you might not like the odor of the vinegar so its best to leave the windows or bathroom doors open when cleaning. Doesn't cause any harm in case you end up inhaling it.

I have stopped using all the fancy brands from the market and use this el-cheapo method. At 40 bucks a bottle , Acetic Vinegar is dirt cheap and does a stupendous job.
Old 21st January 2016, 14:07   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
If its a detachable shower head then you can remove it and soak it in a vinegar and water solution ( 60:40). Let it sit there for an hour or 2 and then wash it with running water.
I do that to clean it.
however, the new unit I am looking to put in has about 10 heads, all around. Cleaning that will be an issue. So I am looking around to see if there is some sort of filter that can be attached between the outlet and the shower to stop that from getting clogged.
Old 21st January 2016, 14:16   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I do that to clean it.
however, the new unit I am looking to put in has about 10 heads, all around. Cleaning that will be an issue. So I am looking around to see if there is some sort of filter that can be attached between the outlet and the shower to stop that from getting clogged.
Havent heard of something on those lines wherein you can attach a filter to the inlet of the shower panels. I could be wrong though, try checking with a few dealers they should be able to shed some light on it.

I have one of those shower panels from Jaguar and its easy cleaning, I simply remove the face plate and use vinegar to clean it.
Old 21st January 2016, 14:23   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Jus to know, any idea how much such a booster costs? Works on electricity, obviously?
A few thousands for local brands, more expensive for the established ones (CG, Grundfos etc.).

Quote:
15 I reckon should be okay for a 'usable' shower? One important issue is number of bends in the pipe, which reduce pressure. Trust plumbers to not bother about such trivialities. Possibly that was the case at your place?
Usable it is, nice it ain't.

We redid most of our plumbing with PVC piping as the metal stuff done during initial construction 15 years ago was giving up due to poor water quality. The connection to the first-floor shower is pretty straight with minimal bends - except a transverse stretch as the shower head is a few feet away from the main line - which we suspect is causing the low pressure. Wider diameter pipes have improved the situation to acceptable levels, any further improvement will need a booster.
Old 26th April 2016, 11:40   #50
BHPian

Friends,

I have a Jaquar flush valve (dual flow) installed in my house. However, its springs are not functioning correctly, so it is not shutting off on its own anymore. I contacted my usual plumber guy, but he is not able to find the internal spare parts - two springs and valve. I have the 40mm size.

Does anyone know where I can find the Jaquar spare parts in Pune? Appreciate your help...
Old 26th April 2016, 12:55   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschivate View Post
Friends,

I have a Jaquar flush valve (dual flow) installed in my house. However, its springs are not functioning correctly,...

Does anyone know where I can find the Jaquar spare parts in Pune? Appreciate your help...

Rathsons after Congress Bhavan on the way to the Shivaji nagar bus stand stocks Jaquar spares.
Phone 020-25533414.
Old 26th April 2016, 19:10   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happysmiles View Post
Rathsons after Congress Bhavan on the way to the Shivaji nagar bus stand stocks Jaquar spares.
Phone 020-25533414.
Appreciated, will check.
Old 18th May 2016, 13:14   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happysmiles View Post
Phone 020-25533414.
@Happysmiles Thanks a ton for the tip. I went to Rathsons over the weekend. They had the spares I was looking for, but the owner also shared a toll-free number for Jaquar Helpline. I called them up on Monday, they sent a technician on Tuesday, and he solved the problem in 10 minutes flat!
Old 16th February 2017, 17:05   #54
BANNED

Planning to upgrade some sanitary stuff on my 35 year old house.

Bought a top-end Cera Single piece closet 4 years ago and its cistern went kaput after 3 years of usage. So not sure about the brand's reliability.

Among the following which one is more VFM:

1. Cera
2. Hindware
3. Jaquar

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 16th February 2017 at 23:20. Reason: Typo.
Old 16th February 2017, 22:51   #55
Senior - BHPian

Just ordered a replacement Toilet seat cover for my Roca - Giralda. Price is Rs 3900 ! :O First went to the place I originally got the pot from and he quoted Rs 4500 ! and as he mentioned which was confirmed by other shops and my plumber, you cant get an 'aftermarket' seat cover for Roca toilets because all were 99% sure no other cover fits with their hinge/locking system. I just hope this seat cover last for 5+ years because 3.5k+ is a LOT for a toilet cover and since this one is a few years old already who knows if I will even get a spare cover a few years down the line.
Old 17th February 2017, 10:07   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Among the following which one is more VFM:

1. Cera
2. Hindware
3. Jaquar

Thanks in advance.
Go for Hindware. Cera has reliability issues, it seems. Jaquar faucets and fittings are great but as far as sanitaryware is concerned they don't have the reputation of Hindware, at least not yet.

Parryware is also good. If you are on a tight budget, the brand ESS ESS can also be considered in place of Jaquar faucets.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 17th February 2017 at 10:12.
Old 15th March 2017, 12:42   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Difference between high end and low end brands

What is the difference in quality between a entry brand like Hindware/Cera to a High end one like Kolher/Duravit/Jaguar when it comes to ceramics?

Need to purchase a few Wash basins for my home and while i do not mind going for the top end ones i want to know what actual difference/improvement do they offer ? Currently have a hindware wash basin and i observe that it picks up stains pretty easily and builds up slimy stuff around the drain hole in a week of moderate usage . So, in comparison, do the Kolher/Duravit offer better resistance to stains and dirt spots?
Old 15th March 2017, 19:08   #58
BHPian

Is there any solution for treating hard water in apartments? I am looking for something that can fit between the water geyser and the inlet pipe. Since I stay in an apartment, I need to get something just for my place. Getting a water softener for the entire building will not work since other residents will not pitch in. What should I do to get a water softener just for my house?

I searched online and came across some 3M products, it does look compact and costs around 13K. The reviews were not very positive.
Old 15th March 2017, 19:52   #59
BHPian

I am using this for the past couple of months. It's from Kent and is a mini water softener, based on ion exchange. Uses salt brine for regeneration. It's a mini one, and needs regeneration every week /200 litres. I can't fo for the one that connects to the main line as that is not accessible easily. This goes to the feed line of the geyser. So the line from geyser has soft water. Cold water is available from the drain line
Attached Thumbnails
All about Bathroom fittings and plumbing-1489587550295.jpg  

Old 16th March 2017, 13:03   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
I am using this for the past couple of months.
Thanks a lot for the information. How much did this cost? Does the company do the installation ? What about warranty ? How do you know when to change the brine ? How difficult is this thing to maintain? Sorry to bombard you with questions.

Last edited by girimajiananth : 16th March 2017 at 13:05.

Most Viewed