Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2009, 10:29   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by codemarauder View Post
why ISRO needed TCS, Wipro, Mahindra Satyam and CTS (as per Wikipedia) just to prepare this half baked tool? Does that mean India's top IT companies collaboratively can not compete with Google's Earth?

My two bits.
Who told you they are IT software companies? They are rent a coder companies Now if google tried to compete with them in services, then they will show google who is the boss
Old 14th August 2009, 10:49   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMM340 View Post
You know there are some good aspects of Sarkari endevours. Arunachal will be labeled as Indian territory instead of China, Kashmir labeled as an Indian State instead of "disputed" but part of Pakistan, etc.

Along with the nice clarity and detail of google/wiki/yahoo India looses big chunks of her territory.
Yes. That is one of the main intentions of this website. So that we don't slowly start to believe that the maps in Google and Yahoo are the real ones.

Other than protesting to Google and Yahoo, Indian government cannot do anything to get them "correct" the mistakes. So they started another one on similar lines. Already I see a message saying that the site is overloaded and may not perform properly. That much for managing expectations.
Old 14th August 2009, 10:53   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by codemarauder View Post
Why is government wasting taxpayers' money in such vendor locked-in, proprietary software endeavours?

In order to use Bhuvan I need to buy a licensed copy of Windogs from Microsux? What the heck?
They targeted the most widley used browser in the world. You wanted them to spend even more money to support it under every browser? Looking at the lousy resolution, I wish they hadn't spent any money on this.

BTW, what is Windogs, even google is not helping me there.
Old 14th August 2009, 11:03   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
BTW, what is Windogs, even google is not helping me there.
I think it shows the respect he has on Windows & Microsoft
Old 14th August 2009, 11:59   #20
Senior - BHPian

well, I'm dissapointed. Leave houses and stuff - I couldn't make out road from water! On a quick comparison to wikimapia, the clarity in wikimapia is unmatched by bhuvan.

... :(

lol @ microsux and windogs
Old 16th August 2009, 12:38   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
They targeted the most widley used browser in the world. You wanted them to spend even more money to support it under every browser? Looking at the lousy resolution, I wish they hadn't spent any money on this..
Since when did people design websites for browsers.
We have something called standards like HTML/CSS/XHTML.... the list goes on and on.
Sites working on just one browser are not due to "cannot support other browsers", but due to lack of will to maintain standards.
And its not if all the sites in the world went bankrupt trying to meet standards
Old 16th August 2009, 21:17   #22
BHPian

I am using Windows 7 RC and it works well. But when I installed the Plug-in for Bhuvan and Bhuvan software, something went wrong and system was unable to connect to net. I tried all browsers and tried to solve the problem, but in vain. Finally had to reinstall windows. Now I am afraid to try installing.
Old 17th August 2009, 06:13   #23
BHPian

Unless they intentionally blurred the images, the resolution is pretty crappy compared to google earth. Maybe they'll get better in the future.
Old 20th August 2009, 08:09   #24
BHPian

Bhuvan

I downgraded system to XP and tried Bhuvan. It works well, but the quality is not good as Wikimapia / Google Earth. I can almost see my home in my village in Kerala in Google talk, whereas I can not see anything at all in Bhuvan. They give some statistical data of every village, thats all. It may improving in the future !!
Old 20th August 2009, 21:11   #25
Senior - BHPian

I downloaded it and installed it a few days back, and discovered it sucks big time---it has only 50% of the resolution provided by Google Earth.
While on this, has someone noticed that none of these applications provide imagery of Shamsabad airport at Hyderabad? I can see 'secret' airbases like Charbhatia near Cuttack even in Bhuvan, but not Shamsabad.

Most Viewed