Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2010, 20:09   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NK@Hyd View Post
Hi Guys,

I've heard and seen some laptop raisers (I think i-ball makes one)
but would appreciate feedback/suggestions from those who have
used them or have devised any other arrangement.

Thanks!
Naresh
Hi Naresh

I use a Logitech Alto stand (black one below). This model has now been discontinued as nobody bought these when they were launched a couple of years back priced at 5.5K approx. This one came bundled with a wireless keyboard and two additional USB ports. Along with my Dell BT mouse this is a fantastic combination.

However a more economical version is now available and the rest of my colleagues in the office use the same. It is called the Logitech N110 (white) and costs only Rupees 1100/- Does the same job and you can get one of the Logitech(or another) wireless or BT keyboard and mouse bundles. Prices for the Logitech bundles start at 3.5K for the wireless bundle with the Nano receiver.

The incline is adjustable at different angles and this works like a charm to rid you of all of your neck, shoulder and wrist issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi550m View Post
Guys, I went through this thread and wanted some advice on a laptop cooler which would cool my 15.6" laptop and also provide a nice angle for typing which is more ergonomic and less tiring.

Is the overhang of a couple of centimeters on either side a problem, or is it normal. That is the only thing that is stopping me from going in for the Cooler Master U2.
@avi550m,

In the photos below see the Logitech cooling pad N100. I use this at home and this will be the correct size for the 15" laptop as I have a bit of clear pad on both sides of my 14" Latitude. I have used Belkin prior to this but this is far superior and readily available at any half decent IT supplies shop. Cost is Rs. 1,400/- Important to note is the fact that there is hardly any drop in battery back up times with this pad, with the Belkin there was a good 20% drop in the battery's performance.

Stands
Attached Thumbnails
Do you raise the height of your laptop while working?-logitech-alto-.jpg  

Do you raise the height of your laptop while working?-alto_cordless_2.jpg  

Do you raise the height of your laptop while working?-12401.jpg  

Do you raise the height of your laptop while working?-logitech-12256.jpg  

Last edited by khoj : 14th November 2010 at 20:17.
Old 14th November 2010, 20:21   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
The device looks nice. Where did you buy it for 20 USD?

Do you use an external mouse and an external keyboard?
It is avaliable in any dedicated electronic stores here. The one I got is made of plastic and serves the purpose. It allows me to sink inside my seat and work. But I have to admit it gives you sore wrists if used for a prolonged time. I generally use it at lazy after lunch afternoons to sit back and relax.

I used to have an external mouse (usb driven 16$) but I lost it and using the laptop pad for cursor navigation. I also tried the apple wireless keyboard but I did not feel comfortable using it in office. It is best to use those at home with private laptops synced with wide angle TVs or display devices which give you real luxury.

Tell you what I'll post both pictures tomorrow.
Old 14th November 2010, 21:00   #33
BANNED

Guys

I was gifted an iBall laptop stand by a colleague years back. Using it to my full satisfaction. It cot only around 450 to 500 rupees and height is adjustable and it is very very non-intrusive and compact. Meant for table use.

Cheers
Old 16th November 2010, 03:35   #34
Senior - BHPian

Pictures of the el cheapo one I got for my laptop. Takes a little time to get used to but it works fine for an hour while I sink in my seat and type, like I am doing right now. Then I go back to the recommended position.
Attached Thumbnails
Do you raise the height of your laptop while working?-photo.jpg  

Do you raise the height of your laptop while working?-photo2.jpg  

Do you raise the height of your laptop while working?-photo4.jpg  

Do you raise the height of your laptop while working?-photo3.jpg  

Last edited by prince_pervez : 16th November 2010 at 03:37.
Old 16th November 2010, 14:59   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
It is avaliable in any dedicated electronic stores here. The one I got is made of plastic and serves the purpose. It allows me to sink inside my seat and work. But I have to admit it gives you sore wrists if used for a prolonged time. I generally use it at lazy after lunch afternoons to sit back and relax.

Tell you what I'll post both pictures tomorrow.
Thanks for sharing the pics and the info. I will get one when I visit next, unless I get one in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Guys

I was gifted an iBall laptop stand by a colleague years back. Using it to my full satisfaction. It cot only around 450 to 500 rupees and height is adjustable and it is very very non-intrusive and compact. Meant for table use.

Cheers
Can you please let me know where your colleagues got it from?
Old 16th November 2010, 16:48   #36
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Thanks for sharing the pics and the info. I will get one when I visit next, unless I get one in India.

Can you please let me know where your colleagues got it from?
The local computer bazaar. This one came from S.P road in Bangalore.

Try any store that stocks iBall(s)

Cheers
Old 11th April 2013, 17:20   #37
BANNED

Re: Do you raise the height of your laptop while working?

I am looking for something to use for a person who has been bedridden for quite sometime. The person uses a laptop either fully sleeping with laptop on stomach or reclining on a bed. What kind of lapstop stand would be good?
Old 11th April 2013, 18:17   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I am looking for something to use for a person who has been bedridden for quite sometime. The person uses a laptop either fully sleeping with laptop on stomach or reclining on a bed. What kind of lapstop stand would be good?
look for something like this

http://www.officemax.com/office-furn...31-117653035-2
Old 11th April 2013, 18:33   #39
BHPian

I have come close to getting carpal tunnel on one hand and cervical spondylosis because of bad placement of laptop and desktops.

My final solution.

The chair's height is raised sufficiently that the elbows can be placed on the desk when they are bent at a right angle. Ideally the elbows should be as close to the body as possible so that the shoulders don't haunch.

I use a Chroma USB mouse, which is very long and comfortable for the palm to rest on (and it folds neatly). A usb mouse is necessary, because invariably the wire of a wired mouse gets tangled somewhere, and instead of untangling it, we just go ahead and extend our arms to keep using the mouse. More importantly, I started using my left hand for the mouse - to more evenly distribute the workload between the right and left hands, as I realised that I am very reliant/overextend my right hand for typing - especially when I use backspace, and the arrow keys.

Do you raise the height of your laptop while working?-201303123046.jpg

I use a microsoft egonomic keyboard. It works for me, as the natural inward curve of the keyboard doesn't stress my wrists at all (available on flipkart).

And I use 4 law reporters (equivalent to dictionaries) to raise the laptop/desktop monitor to slightly below my eye level - so that with my glasses slipping off my nose, I am at a perfectly natural position with my head to read.

I take a lot of care because wrist problems are just too painful. I have not been able to a single push up for 2 years because of that minor wrist problem - had to wear a splint for 3 months, went on a trek where I was always worried that if I lost my balance, I could put the weight only on one hand. And basically after the realisation that computers are gonna be part of my life over the longer term - I just have to come up with sustainable solutions.
Old 11th April 2013, 19:15   #40
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
Where would I get something like this? Also the leg of the thing should be smooth enough so that it doesn't damage the sheets or a couch upholstery.
Old 11th April 2013, 19:59   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Where would I get something like this? Also the leg of the thing should be smooth enough so that it doesn't damage the sheets or a couch upholstery.
isn't there a way to get stuff from amazon to India?

I found the model that I have been using for almost 4 years and still going strong. and yes, the bottom is smooth plastic.

http://www.amazon.com/My-Place-Mypla...ds=laptop+tray

EDIT: search for "laptop tray" and many different models will come up.

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 11th April 2013 at 20:00.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks