Team-BHP - Do you raise the height of your laptop while working?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   Do you raise the height of your laptop while working? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/63705-do-you-raise-height-your-laptop-while-working.html)

Hi Guys,

I am buying a small computer desk and chair for keeping my
laptop while working.

Now here's my dilemma: ergonomically speaking, the arm-rest
of the chair should be more or less the same height as that of
the table to help keep the wrists in a neutral position; and your
feet should be flat on the ground (please correct me if I am
wrong here). With such an arrangement, it becomes impossible
to view the monitor of my laptop (its a 15" screen) without tilting
my neck down.I experience some stiffness in the neck region after
working for some time, so its high time I rectify my posture.

I've heard and seen some laptop raisers (I think i-ball makes one)
but would appreciate feedback/suggestions from those who have
used them or have devised any other arrangement.

Thanks!
Naresh

I think I have seen a raiser but don't remember exactly what it looked like.

Sorry if I am missing something here but there seems to be a simpler solution than getting a raiser (so simple that I think I am missing something:)). Wouldn't pushing the monitor panel further back on the hinge, so that it is at an angle of more than 90 degrees from the keyboard, let you view the screen without bending your neck as much?

Ergonomically you should be looking at eye level or a bit lower at the screen and never up. Increase the height of the chair instead.

Eye level to the screen means the uppermost panel of the screen needs to be at eye level.

Quote:

Originally Posted by straightdrive (Post 1436019)
Sorry if I am missing something here but there seems to be a simpler solution than getting a raiser (so simple that I think I am missing something:)). Wouldn't pushing the monitor panel further back on the hinge, so that it is at an angle of more than 90 degrees from the keyboard, let you view the screen without bending your neck as much?

I just tried it but it doesn't seem to help much. I still have to bend my neck after pushing the monitor panel further away.

Quote:

Originally Posted by beejay (Post 1436024)
Ergonomically you should be looking at eye level or a bit lower at the screen and never up. Increase the height of the chair instead.

Eye level to the screen means the uppermost panel of the screen needs to be at eye level.

Okay, now I am missing something :). If the height of the arm-rests of the chair is equal to height of the table and I still have to bend my neck to view the monitor, how would increasing the height of the chair help? (I am actually visualizing it, I don't have a table yet).

Try lowering the height of the chair instead. And keep your arms on the table, not the armrests.

I have not raised the height but yes I have kept, it on slanted cross shaped stand, which basically allows for more air inflow/outflow, that helps in keeping the laptop a bit cooled.
Otherwise the position depends on you table height, your height as well as the chair's height.Find the most comfortable position and stick to it.

Maybe you could try and get yourself one of these:

Do you raise the height of your laptop while working?-laptop20stand.jpg

and here is your ideal situation, i'm guessing :D

Name:  laptopstandontop.gif
Views: 6090
Size:  9.6 KB

Hi Naresh look out for Belkin, APC products. Belkin manufactures some good laptop stands + cooler.

Quote:

Originally Posted by amitoj (Post 1436078)
Try lowering the height of the chair instead. And keep your arms on the table, not the armrests.

+1 to this. This is the ideal situation that i have at office and is very comfortable. But the difficult part is to get a computer table chair combo which allows you to do this :Frustrati. After searching for quite a bit, i finally settled for a regular computer table wherein the laptop sits at the top (at eye level) and a regular keyboard and mouse at the keyboard tray which is at the same height of the armrest.

- Jag

my laptop has a HUGE butt. By that I mean it has a 12 cell battery, so the laptop raises itself on it's own, every time I rest it on the table. Works for me!

I would suggest Logitech Notebook Riser N110.

I use the Notebook Riser and connect a keyboard and mouse to the docking station. With this setup, i can work comfortably for more than 2 hours at a stretch on my Thinkpad.

-Pallavi

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pallavi (Post 1437184)
I would suggest Logitech Notebook Riser N110.

I use the Notebook Riser and connect a keyboard and mouse to the docking station. With this setup, i can work comfortably for more than 2 hours at a stretch on my Thinkpad.

-Pallavi

Looks great, Pallavi. I just checked it out at itdepot.com and it is priced at Rs.1275.

Also, with this setup, a separate keyboard and a mouse becomes inevitable?

I use a couple of coffee table books that are lying around to raise the laptop..

Two standard edition Webster's would also do the job..:D

I just raised my laptop with two 3kg dumb-bells. Now it sits a good 5 inches high with good air-circulation for cooling.

:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by gd1418 (Post 1437595)
I use a couple of coffee table books that are lying around to raise the laptop..

Two standard edition Webster's would also do the job..:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torqy (Post 1437634)
I just raised my laptop with two 3kg dumb-bells. Now it sits a good 5 inches high with good air-circulation for cooling.

:)

Guess only we Indians can come up with such jugaads :D