Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2009, 16:42   #16
Senior - BHPian

Not to add insult to injury, but The easiest way to prevent this is to not clean your car and leave it dirty, and maybe a few scratches here and there .I dont mean neglect the car, but sometimes the best approach is to remove the root cause
Works for me

This is of course , assuming that your car's good looks are at fault here. If this is a neighbour with a score to settle for unrelated reasons, then yes, you better need security or something similar.

I too would say get an impact sensor. the type which goes off randomly and screams bloody murder every time. And if someone complains, tell them why it is there, that you are helpless against this and that this is the only way you can protect yourself, and make your problem everyone's problem. Once enough people get annoyed, somebody will decide do something about it (hopefully not break into the car and disarm the alarm )

Last edited by greenhorn : 18th August 2009 at 16:48.
Old 18th August 2009, 16:42   #17
Senior - BHPian

Many of us have suffered this, and share the agony. End of the day, one realizes that this is the price to pay to live in a community. There are upsides and downsides, and thinking of the upsides helps one cope with the downsides. I also found that not fixing the scratches, except to ensure that there is no exposed metal, helps. But I agree that it is frustrating - at one stage in my life I had seriously considered sleeping the car to catch someone redhanded!
I now live in a good gated complex, where this does not happen. But I still lose valve caps. And the damn things are not sold for a price by most tyre shops, else I would buy a hundred of the plastic ones that are functionally good enough, and not bother about this either!
Look at this as a learning to help you realize what truly matters in life, and what it is not worth losing your sense of balance over. At least that would be one positive from this, and I know it is easier said than done.
Old 18th August 2009, 16:46   #18
srinivas9446

hey fast elegance,

are you friends with all the kids in the apartment? simple ...make them aware what they are upto.

Old 18th August 2009, 16:47   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_elegance View Post
@ Spitfire : It has already been notified that the kids are not supposed to be playing in the parking area. But kids are kids , They just dont care to listen. Stops for a day or two and then its the same again.
Make the watchman responsible and report the kids to their parents. Its harsh i know but each car in the parking lot is a prized possession of every owner and everyone would agree to that.

It is difficult initially to enforce but after some of the kids get an earful from their parents they will slowly abandon the parking area and find some other area to play.

Quote:
I would like to know whether its a good idea to claim the insurance for this and what are the steps that i need to take to claim insurance?
If the cost is less then the No Claim Bonus amount then pay through your pocket. If it is more then utilize the insurance.

How to get insurance? There are some insurance experts on here who would guide you better. But to get an estimate take it to the Service Center get their quote and forward to Insurance firm.
Old 18th August 2009, 16:50   #20
Team-BHP Support

Get a voodoo doll.
Slash it with all kinds of blades and paint red blood.
Make it look extreme bizarre and ritualistic.

Around your parking area affix this with a warning in English and some freaky characters.

Since you cannot touch them physically, blow their peace mentally.
Old 18th August 2009, 17:08   #21
Senior - BHPian

As you said, people are jealous of how you maintain the condition of your vehicles. Its not possible to kill jealousy in people. So you have 2 options. Put a full grill around your parking in the apartment so no one can get close to your vehicles. OR . Dont keep your vehicles so clean that people get jealous. Both solutions are achievable though you will have to spend quite a bit to put a grill around your parking space.
Old 18th August 2009, 17:13   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Put a full grill around your parking in the apartment so no one can get close to your vehicles. Both solutions are achievable though you will have to spend quite a bit to put a grill around your parking space.
Are you serious? Have you seen this done anywhere? Is it even legal?! Be nice to see a picture if anyone has done this. Of course, some one can still poke a stick through the bars, if they really have it in for you! Which they will, once they see the grill. The grill will save you from accidental damage, but not the kind with intent.
Old 18th August 2009, 17:15   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_elegance View Post
@rkbharat : Even i thought of the impact sensor but i have seen these sensors act weirdly and scream senselessly even when there is no real impact.
Sir its still better than having scratched car. and then you can enable or disable the impact sensor based on situation. And also set the sensitivity level accordingly.
Old 18th August 2009, 18:16   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by debugged View Post
Sorry to hear that. There are always a sadist in most apartment blocks and its big headache.

I liked the using webcam + laptop idea. Here is an article explaining one way to put this to work. How to Use a Webcam to Spy on People: 5 steps - wikiHow.
@debugged : These sadist always get on the nerves. Thank you for the link. I will try implementing this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Not to add insult to injury, but The easiest way to prevent this is to not clean your car and leave it dirty, and maybe a few scratches here and there .
@greenhorn : Now i feel the same. I should really not clean the car when its attracting so much envy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
at one stage in my life I had seriously considered sleeping the car to catch someone redhanded!
@Sawyer : Same here now. I had a sleepless night y-day and thought i should go down and sleep in my car just to catch the culprit red handed and .

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinivas9446 View Post
hey fast elegance,
are you friends with all the kids in the apartment? simple ...make them aware what they are upto.
@srinivas : I have never interveened with these kids for them to be angry with me. But i think now i need to get more friendly with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
If the cost is less then the No Claim Bonus amount then pay through your pocket. If it is more then utilize the insurance.
How to get insurance? There are some insurance experts on here who would guide you better. But to get an estimate take it to the Service Center get their quote and forward to Insurance firm.
@Spitfire : The pictures have already gone to the studio for developing. Will be on the notice board soon. I will be taking an estimate of the repair and will present it on the meeting for the association to know the loss I incurred so they become more strict on this aspect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Get a voodoo doll.
@bblost : . Thats a nice idea. Will take their mental peace and sleep off. I had a sleepless night y-day. Let them also have a few sleepless nights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Put a full grill around your parking in the apartment so no one can get close to your vehicles. OR . Dont keep your vehicles so clean that people get jealous.
@jaysmokesleaves : 2nd option is better i guess. Will be light on my pockets.

[quote=Sawyer;1438079]Are you serious? Have you seen this done anywhere? Is it even legal?! Be nice to see a picture if anyone has done this. /quote]

Even i would like to see a picture if anyone did this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
Sir its still better than having scratched car. and then you can enable or disable the impact sensor based on situation. And also set the sensitivity level accordingly.
@rkbharat : Thats true. It is better than having a scratched car. I will look on this option as well.
Old 18th August 2009, 19:31   #25
Senior - BHPian

bribe couple of kids (of course not yours) with toys/ chocolates and ask them to find out the real culprit.

you might end up kniwing who it is ?
Old 18th August 2009, 23:29   #26
Senior - BHPian

i suggest in your meeting to request the addition of security camera's in the parking premises so that you can nab the culprits in action.
Old 19th August 2009, 14:39   #27
BHPian

Guys, here is an update. My dad had a meeting with the association yesterday. My dad showed them the estimate of the repair which is 8000 rupees as per the service centre. They agreed that this damage was caused due to the security lapse and ignorant parents of the kids.

The following decisions were taken after the meeting ( I am Happy):
- They have decided to employ additional security just to have a look on the cars.
- Kids will not be allowed to play in the parking area and can use the designated playing area.
- Kids should be accompanied by parents all the time they come down to play. If kids are found playing on their own fine will be posed to the parents.

Association will not be paying the repair charges . My bike is already in the garage to be painted and will cost 1000 rupees. I have showed my car to one of the car care fellows who is my dad's friend and he advised not to go for painting as the surface will not have the same original finish. He said that they could polish the surface and make the scratches almost invisible. They will be charging 1750 rupees for the same. I enquired about the impact sensor and he informed that the sensor cannot be added to the current remote locking system (I have xenos remote locking). I will have to change the entire assembly and that is going to be costly again. He also advised to have a car cover which he said is available in 2 qualities one which costs 800 and the other 1500.

I have a few questions to my fellow BHPians :
1) The lines on the cars appears pretty deep, however car care guy is assuring that the lines will almost be invisible. Is it ok to go for polishing and rubbing on the car rather than painting?
2) Is it true that I have to change the entire remote locking assembly to include a impact sensor?
3) What will be the cost of an impact sensor if it is available separately? Any place where I can find this in Bangalore?
4) Is it advisable to go for a car cover considering the sand granules and dust that will be accumulated on the car before putting on the cover? What are the different qualities that is available and how much do they cost? Where can i find good quality car cover here in bangalore?
Old 19th August 2009, 15:51   #28
BHPian

Wow, the association in your building seems to be quite a receptive one. That such strong measures got approved seems to be a great achievement. Cannot imagine such a thing being possible in my Society, where we have "Gandhis" living, who say - chalta hai, bacche hain naaa !! Or else few always would support the watchmen because they act as their door mats !!
Old 19th August 2009, 18:15   #29
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear about the scratching incident.

I can totally understand how you feel. The same thing happened to me last week.

I generally park my car on the road outside my rented house. It is a reasonable safe locality. But because of the road construction happening near my house, I decided to park my car at a friend's place who lives in National Games Village, Koramangala.

After a few days, when I went to collect my car, I was in for a rude shock. Some moron had scribbled his name on the hatch door using a pointed object. The worst part is that it is almost impossible to find out who did it.

I generally keep the car dirty on the outside just for this reason. If the car is dirty, the miscreants generally get satisfied by drawing/writing something using their finger. But if the car looks sparkling clean, it becomes irresistible for these miscreants, and they end up causing more damage.

My car was dirty when I parked it there, but the rains must have washed off the dirt.

The wax polish which I got done last month also doesn't help. The car really stands out because of its shine (especially after wash/rain) and ends up becoming the preferred canvas for these graffiti artists.

Rohan,
Bangalore
Old 19th August 2009, 18:29   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Sorry to hear about the scratching incident.

The wax polish which I got done last month also doesn't help. The car really stands out because of its shine (especially after wash/rain) and ends up becoming the preferred canvas for these graffiti artists.

Rohan,
I do not know about other cities. Road side parking is generally an invitation to the so addressed "Graffiti Artists".

I had a similar experience with my Wagon-R at Bansankari 2nd stage/Bangalore.
That too my car was tattooed with a stone on the bonnet and as a surprise package I was offered removal of the "S" sign on the boot door!

All this within a month of purchasing the car.
Man! God help us.

Most Viewed