Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2009, 18:07   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

I think he can forget about recovering costs through the proper channel. He would be better off reporting to the cops and asking them to impound the vehicle. Parking space is valuable today!

My mechanic has a Standard Herald that had come to him for minor work sometime in the 70s or 80s. It belonged to a Dutch lady who was teaching Sanskrit at Pune university. Rumour has it she went to jail in a drug peddling bust. Remains of the car still lie in his plot, hoping someday the owner will come back to collect the car. Now that is an honest and upright mechanic!

An honest mechanic (car lying unclaimed with him for over 5 yrs)-01.jpg
An honest mechanic (car lying unclaimed with him for over 5 yrs)-02.jpg

Today the heap is barely recognisable as a car, these pictures are a few years old.
Old 19th August 2009, 19:18   #17
BHPian

At least there are few honest people left in this country.

Old 19th August 2009, 23:08   #18
Senior - BHPian

FEW???? there are alot honest people in our country brother
Old 20th August 2009, 10:28   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If no one has come to claim the car in 5 years, chances are it won't ever happen. Ask your mechanic to go to the nearest cop station and ask them to tow the car away. That way, his liability is limited (in case the car was stolen, or used for any criminal activity).
Being familiar with the Manipal dynamics, and CrackeHead's response to another post I am pretty sure this fear is unfounded. Combining with what I surmise from his post (he was at Manipal for four years) and my own knowledge (my son is there since 1997) what must have happened is that this spoilt brat pranged the car, did poorly in academics, and was called back by the parents. They forgot the car OR maybe claimed that the car has been stolen in Delhi and managed to claim from the insurance. If the latter then it becomes a bit tricky.

Last edited by sgiitk : 20th August 2009 at 10:29.
Old 20th August 2009, 10:48   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Being familiar with the Manipal dynamics, and CrackeHead's response to another post I am pretty sure this fear is unfounded. Combining with what I surmise from his post (he was at Manipal for four years) and my own knowledge (my son is there since 1997) what must have happened is that this spoilt brat pranged the car, did poorly in academics, and was called back by the parents. They forgot the car OR maybe claimed that the car has been stolen in Delhi and managed to claim from the insurance. If the latter then it becomes a bit tricky.
That about sums it up perfectly. Perhaps the best thing would be to destroy the car (sell it for scrap).
Old 20th August 2009, 11:20   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys, with legal matters, you'd rather be safe than sorry. I'd file a report with the cops and have them tow the car away.

Quote:
Perhaps the best thing would be to destroy the car (sell it for scrap).
Not his property, even though it has been abandoned. Could lead to legal issues.
Old 21st August 2009, 11:07   #22
Senior - BHPian

I think exercising the mechanics lien is the best way forward. Send a legal notice to the last known address - and then scrap the car for value towards work done, etc. (attempting to sell it will be complicated for lack of original papers etc). Let his legal notice clearly state that it will be scrapped towards recovery of dues.

5 years is long enough (- A person missing for 7 years can be declared officially dead IIRC)
Old 21st August 2009, 11:26   #23
Senior - BHPian

most probably this car might be involved in some fatal accident and the owner being rich decided to dump it there.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks