Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2009, 13:12   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Demand Draft Fraud: Warning

A friend and neighbour of mine was unwittingly involved recently in a colossal fraud amounting to over seven lakh rupees.

His cousin contracted to sell some goods (pneumatic valves of some sort) from Maharashtra, to a buyer in Delhi, over the internet.

The cousin asked my friend to close the deal by handing over the goods to the buyer, which were freighted to his (the friend's) address. My friend was to receive the demand draft as payment for the goods, and courier it to his cousin, which he did.

This was a DD issued from a Chandigarh bank, payable at Mumbai, for over Rs.7,13,000. On depositing the draft at his bank, the cousin received a call from the bank to discover that the draft was forged. It appears that the original DD was issued from the same bank against cash, for an amount of Rs.500, payable at Kolkata.

The demand draft was subsequently doctored by some means, the payee and amount details were changed while retaining the original paper and signature, and given to my friend.

The buyer is untraceable. His addresses and phone numbers turned out to be fake, the goods have disappeared. The cops are inclined to believe my friend may have a hand in this! The friend is mortified and doesn't know what to do.

Members please be warned, do not trust demand drafts until they are encashed!
Old 22nd August 2009, 13:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

Ohh man thats the worst nightmare scenario with dealing in lakhs in business,but in any business which goes in lakhs they have certain advance amount to ensure the capabilities of a buyer and some paperwork is involved but obvious is the person is unknown.
Old 22nd August 2009, 14:04   #3
BHPian

As per my knowledge now a days Banks put some sticker on the DD where the name and amount is written. And if they try to remove the sticker and re type the amount the paper will tear. So is that might be fault of the Bank to if they does not use the sticker.
Old 22nd August 2009, 14:15   #4
BHPian

Now a days the paper in which a DD is printed has microprinting on it - so that erasing the printed value is impossible. Also, they print the exact amount in one place (such as Rs. 7,00,000) and a slightly incremented value in another place (e.g not over Rs. 7,00,001) and also put a sticker over the printed amount. So, it's got a fair amount of protection against fraud.

In this case it seems that someone from the bank itself is involved - who made a fraud DD with all the normal precautions that we see in a DD. In that case it is impossible to detect a fraud unless it is rejected by bank.

So, play safe and don't trust unknown buyer.
Old 22nd August 2009, 14:25   #5
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for sharing this Doc, will be doubly careful from now on while accepting demand drafts from unknown contacts !
Old 22nd August 2009, 15:37   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
do not trust demand drafts until they are encashed
+1 to that. One of the biggest used car dealers in Mumbai was similarly swindled. Customer gives a DD valued @ 8.xx lakhs and drives away in a nearly new Tata Safari. Upon depositing the draft, the dealer got to know that it was fake. Obviously, neither the buyer nor the Safari have been located.
Old 22nd August 2009, 16:19   #7
Senior - BHPian

Ohho. Its been around since childhood - am surprised its not stopped by technology!

I've read about it in crime magazines since college times!
Old 22nd August 2009, 17:35   #8
BHPian

But I fail to understand why one one should trust somebody who is known though internet only and not personally, at least for high value deals.
Old 22nd August 2009, 18:15   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitha View Post
But I fail to understand why one one should trust somebody who is known though internet only and not personally, at least for high value deals.
Well, I guess most of us tend to trust a demand draft to be as good as cash. It's come to that point where you can't trust a bunch of currency notes because they might be fake, and now you can't trust a DD because that might be fake too!
Old 22nd August 2009, 18:34   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Well, I guess most of us tend to trust a demand draft to be as good as cash. It's come to that point where you can't trust a bunch of currency notes because they might be fake, and now you can't trust a DD because that might be fake too!
Yes, very true. Recently when I had to receive 10L in connection with a transaction, I had them get the DD from bank in my presence though they were known to me. Actually they wanted me to receive cash which is illegal too. I paid the DD commission.
Old 22nd August 2009, 21:01   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
Now a days the paper in which a DD is printed has microprinting on it - so that erasing the printed value is impossible. Also, they print the exact amount in one place (such as Rs. 7,00,000) and a slightly incremented value in another place (e.g not over Rs. 7,00,001) and also put a sticker over the printed amount. So, it's got a fair amount of protection against fraud.
I don't think the above protection measures are followed universally by all
banks. For example, as far as I remember, Citibank DDs are not very different
from regular checks. Of course, there protection measure is also good, with
carbon imprint of the front-side writings on the back.
Old 22nd August 2009, 21:05   #12
BANNED

Fake DD? AFAIK, the payee (the guy who gets the DD) can sue the issuing bank for the DD amount.
Old 22nd August 2009, 21:37   #13
Senior - BHPian

SS, this reminded me of a huge marketing fraud in a PSU steel industry in the mid-90s. I was in the Personnel Department and had access to sensitive information.

This also involves a fake DD at Calcutta for 3 crores INR. The Branch Manager took the DD and released the steel to the party.The biggest mistake he made was not giving the DD to the Finance representative in his branch for encashment for 3 months! Finally when he did it, it was found to be fake!!

Since it was a PSU, CBI got roped in, the guy was suspened, put in jail pending inquiry and also dismissed from service after 3 years. AFAIK, he was in jail when I left that PSU in 2002. An officer of the rank of General Manager was also implicated for not having his team follow procedures to avoid such lapses.

I feel sorry for the victim in your case.
Old 23rd August 2009, 01:36   #14
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for letting us know. I thought DD was safe. I will be careful while accepting DD from unknown contacts.

I think the safest option now is online transfter. Get money transferred and then release the goods.
Old 23rd August 2009, 10:15   #15
Senior - BHPian

With so many Internet frauds happening, people are wary of online transfers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
Thanks for letting us know. I thought DD was safe. I will be careful while accepting DD from unknown contacts.

I think the safest option now is online transfter. Get money transferred and then release the goods.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks