Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2009, 10:56   #16
Senior - BHPian

for Kathiawadi food there's Gopi Dining Hall. It is owned by the people who also own and run the Balaram palace.
Old 8th September 2009, 11:22   #17
BHPian

I observe that "Vishala" does not seem to perk up Amdavadis any more. No one seems to be raving or ranting about it.

Is it just one more venue for food now?

I visited Ahmedabad in early nineties and "Vishala" used to be the ultimate destination with every one wanting to take me out there for dinner.
Old 8th September 2009, 15:44   #18
Senior - BHPian

It's just that Vishala Stopped Innnovating and many other food places came up with a better ambience and food. Vishala still has many takers though.
Old 10th September 2009, 00:53   #19
BHPian

well. how can i miss this thread ? food-junkie here.
Pani-Puri(GolGappe) - Nr LalDarwaja. Opp. Sidi Saiyad ni Jali. not a big fan of pani puri though. but mom and sis. go there regularly.
Cooking Culture - SG highway. multi cuisine restaurant. Good ambiance. Just went there last week.
ButterMilk(Chaas) - Jalaram. Nr. Swastik Cross Road.
Rest are covered by Devarshi and Pushkar.
There is one more Faraki in Maninagar. Nr.Rambaug.

We amdavadis are quite a foodholic.
Old 10th September 2009, 02:55   #20
BHPian

This thread is a god send for a student like me. The mess on campus is boring (I'm being polite here) and the canteen is uninteresting ( being very polite again).

I mostly visit Moti Mahal , Paramount, Upper Crust, Curries (all of which have been mentioned above ).

However, I didn't see anyone mentioning
- Four Foods - Near Thaltej Char rasta (excellent Pomphret Fry & Kerala style stews and Appams)
- Max's Kitchen - Opposite Iskon Mall (small place but good Indian food & ambience)

Cheers
Old 7th June 2010, 11:34   #21
Senior - BHPian

Simran restaurent in khanpur near lal darwaza bus stop.One more branch near airport. I have visited this place few times in 2006-07 and found it awesome. Kheema biriyani, simran special chicken and the best rumali roti i have ever had in my life.Just melts in your mouth.
Old 7th June 2010, 11:37   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Well Quality of most of the Restaurant in AHm has gone down in recent times.
as i am a pure non-veg. I always go across the bridge to Simran. Small restaurant but great food. I visit there so often that the owner is a very good friend now.

ANd for chai you cannot miss the guy in front of IIM. He is a kind of celebrity there.
You are talking about chickoo bhai.? He is a great guy. He is often sighted at the khanpur branch.This restaurent use to serve great food, have been there in 2006-07 plenty of times.
Old 7th June 2010, 11:50   #23
BHPian

Some of the famous name to add in the list.

Karnavati Dabeli --Maninagar
Jalaram Khaman --Maninagar
R K Eggs --(NID vala and few other branches across Ahmedabad)
Old 7th June 2010, 15:53   #24
BHPian

There is one more place there called Topaz. It is near Polytecnic (If I am not wrong). I just love their food. Whenever I go to Ahmedabad, I make sure, I go their atleast once for lunch.
Old 7th June 2010, 18:05   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Simran restaurent in khanpur near lal darwaza bus stop.One more branch near airport. I have visited this place few times in 2006-07 and found it awesome. Kheema biriyani, simran special chicken and the best rumali roti i have ever had in my life.Just melts in your mouth.
>>> You have given me a very sound reason to stop in Ahmedabad.
Never knew that a traditional Mughlai/Awadhi (if its either of these) cuisine could be got, south of the Vindhyas.

Remember having good chaat in Bhagwati, Punjabi cuisine in a restaurant on CG Road ( same side as Lal Bungalow) where one had to climb onto the first floor, good fish'n'chips in Cama's Hotel, and there used to be a Parsi owned restaurant on the SG Highway on the LHS if you are going toward Sarkhej, which served a few good Parsi non-vegetarian dishes.

Ahmedabad is a city which makes me nostalgic.

Regards
Old 7th June 2010, 23:53   #26
BHPian

Ahmedabad guys, Kemcho, did a whistle stop trip across your city, and the one place I missed is, Jalaram. Still exists?
I did eat somewhere on the Sarder Patel Ring Road, ok food, I mean @ 2 am, anything thats available, one should be grateful
Old 31st August 2010, 22:18   #27
BHPian

Last weekend my family had food at Hijackk, a Double Decker mobile bus restaurant. I believe almost all Ahmedabadis have seen that bus
  • Food: Veg Only
  • Quality: Good
  • Ride: Bus goes at the speed of 10km, a lil shaky on the top, but sitting on upper deck is the best experience!

Route:

Currently only in Ahmedabad, planning for Mumbai and other major cities

Old 31st August 2010, 23:36   #28
BHPian

Guys, please suggest some restaurants that sell good steaks (beef, pork chops etc). I am stuck here for 2 years and I am finding it very difficult to source any restaurant that isn't vegetarian. At most, people serve chicken (occasionally some lamb).
Old 3rd September 2010, 18:49   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1t1bet View Post
Guys, please suggest some restaurants that sell good steaks (beef, pork chops etc). I am stuck here for 2 years and I am finding it very difficult to source any restaurant that isn't vegetarian. At most, people serve chicken (occasionally some lamb).
Hahahahaha! Welcome to the non-vegetarians' hell, something I thought of Ahd in the first few months that I was there

Actually, its nothing of that sort. Cross the river and go over into old city. You'll discover it to be a non-vegetarian's haunt:

1. Go over to Bera Samosa in Bhadra area. They serve the most awesome mutton/beef samosas and pakoras you'll find in that area. 2 friends, adha kilo samosa/pakora mix with pavs - bliss!

2. Very close to Bera is the ZK restaurant. This is in fact within a narrow alleyway, bordered with shops that serve as live meat shops in the day and restaurants at night. The meat is spicy, richly cooked, but awesome taste. Try out the Mutton chaap at ZK (best I've tasted) and the Gurda Kaleja. If you find the surroundings offensive, just pack some and take it home.

3. Just behind Syed Siddiqui Jali is another very good AC restaurant (name escapes me). Decent enough mutton and fish dishes.

4. As for pork, you'll not find cooked pork anywhere in the city. Only Upper Crust restaurant has a cold storage attached who will order you frozen pork meat. Luckily my flatmate was an expert in cooking Bamboo Shoot Pork (a NE Indian specialty.) Find someone to cook that pork for you.

5. Just opposite to Adlabs mall is a small shop called Sardar's Kebabs. Very good stuff, but opens early and sells out fast.

Now now. I've disgusted Aapnu Amdavadi tbhpians enough, so time to get outta here. Happy munching!
Old 25th September 2010, 01:21   #30
BHPian

ZK is definitely the place to go.

On this side of river, I had good experience at Chavla's, Curries and BBQ Nation.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks