Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2009, 08:27   #1
Senior - BHPian

Phone Left In The Office Cab... Lost? What Can I do?

Guys,

I left my phone in the office cab yesterday while coming back. I realized it after I was home for around 45-50 minutes and then tried to call back but my worst fears came alive when it said "out of coverage area". This happens if someone takes the battery out to switch off the phone.
I called my office's transport, told them everything and took the driver's number. Called up the driver and asked about the phone to which he refused saying that he picked up a few passengers along the way and they might have taken the phone away with them.

Its not just the phone but the data in it which is very very important for me, all my contacts, multimedia content and even some personal data.

I will speak to the transport people at my office today and also thinking of registering an FIR with the Police?

My question is will the police register my FIR keeping in mind I left my phone in the cab?
Can the FIR be filed as a mobile theft?
If the police refuse to file the FIR, what are other the other possible options that I can look at?
I am not too sure if the driver has the mobile or not, so not too sure if I should name him if I register the FIR?

I still can't get over the fact that I have lost my phone. It had been everything to me, from my music player to my GPS device. I also had some delightful memories in the form of my pictures and video's in it... some priceless. Please suggest me a way.

Thanks
Old 27th August 2009, 08:39   #2
BHPian

ET,

I suggest you call up your operator (Airtel/Vodafone or whoever) and block the SIM first (may be you have already done that). Next, if you have the IMEI number of the phone, give them that - they might be able to trace the phone (and the user) if the phone is again used in the same network (with a different SIM)
Old 27th August 2009, 08:43   #3
Senior - BHPian

Seriously doubt if you will be able to recover it. Your transport office can try speaking to the driver but he already has an alibi.

The police will go all out not to register an FIR for such a trivial issue. To them, everything is trivial - murder, robbery, molestation, accidents. But they will be the first ones to rush a wipe a politician's behind. You see, that is not a trivial issue. No personal offense meant to anyone.
Old 27th August 2009, 09:07   #4
Senior - BHPian

@pmbabu.... I havent yet blocked the sim in the hope that I may just be able to make a contact... somehow :(

Will do it soon. I have the IMEI number and the bill with me. If the police is willing and the case is registered as theft then they can ask each mobile operator to track the IMEI.

@discoverwild... Yes this is the harsh truth. Believing cops to do something would be hoping against hope. I wish I could get the data somehow and all my contacts.

I still believe the phone is with the driver but I feel terrible when faced with the reality that I cant really do anything.

Last edited by Technocrat : 27th August 2009 at 11:45.
Old 27th August 2009, 09:35   #5
Senior - BHPian

BLOCK YOUR SIM RIGHT NOW

I would suggest to block the sim at priority so as atleast you can gulp bill amount. Also more importantly as you are somehow not able to register the incident to police, if anytime thief decides to do a nasty call to someone then you might be caught as culprit.
Old 27th August 2009, 09:41   #6
Senior - BHPian

The only things you can do (now that the phone is most probably gone) is intimate your cell operator so that nobody misuses your SIM. You will also need a new phone. You should back up all your data in your future phone periodically to your PC.

Can try FIR but 0% chance of anything happening as a result.
Old 27th August 2009, 09:48   #7
Senior - BHPian

@ash... I have called up my service provider to block my sim. I now have to visit police station to lodge a complaint or FIR so that I can get a new SIM.
Old 27th August 2009, 09:53   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
The only things you can do (now that the phone is most probably gone) is intimate your cell operator so that nobody misuses your SIM. You will also need a new phone. You should back up all your data in your future phone periodically to your PC.

Can try FIR but 0% chance of anything happening as a result.
Isn't it obvious that he would need to get a new phone?
The cops will surely file an FIR, however this is not going to help you in any ways.
Block your sim card as soon as possible.
Old 27th August 2009, 09:53   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
@ash... I have called up my service provider to block my sim. I now have to visit police station to lodge a complaint or FIR so that I can get a new SIM.
Anyone can lodge an FIR and this should take not less than 10 mins. Just keep your expectations at getting a new SIM and not recovering your phone. I have gone through this experience once, as I am sure many people with a mobile phone would have.

If you need to get the SIM ASAP, You can go to the nearest police station instead of the police station of the area where you lost. This is somewhat inappropriate, but works. The cell operator is looking for paper work to give you a new SIM and for that they require an FIR. Alternately, you can visit the police station in the area where you lost your phone.
Old 27th August 2009, 09:55   #10
Senior - BHPian

Lavkesh, you do not require an FIR to get a new SIM - new SIMs are given across the counter (Airtel) or sent to your registered address (Vodafone) based on your request to your operator helpline.

Get the FIR only if you want to make sure that the phone is blocked & can never be used by anyone - they normally do not block the phone instrument without an FIR, though the SIM is blocked as soon as you inform the service provider.
Old 27th August 2009, 09:59   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You do not need to lodge a FIR for getting new sim, just go through their helpdesk and new sim will be handed over with a minimal charge. Though activation might take some time according to company's procedure.

P.s. : You beat me Suman
Old 27th August 2009, 10:00   #12
Senior - BHPian

If I tell the cops that I lost my phone in the cab they would ask me to go to the police station in the area to which the cab belong.

In anycase, its such a terrible feeling to know that I cant get my phone back. I am cursing myself for not backing the data up.
On seconds thoughts, I am disappointed and at the same time angered by the fact that inspite of IMEI number tracking facility which doesn't sounds too difficult, I can still not track my phone because the authorities arent willing. The phone is worth lot more to me than what the guy having it is going to get.

Had a word with my service provider and they said that I need to get an FIR lodged if my phone is stolen and I need a new sim. I will visit the service center and ask them for a new sim without mentioning the stolen part.

Last edited by Technocrat : 27th August 2009 at 11:44.
Old 27th August 2009, 10:13   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will visit the service center and ask them for a new sim without mentioning the stolen part.
Just tell them you lost the SIM. Get the new SIM & then do the FIR for the phone so that you can get the phone blocked as well. And teach the crooks a lesson when the phone stops working.

EDIT: LOL Ashish, aaj toh kaafi cross posting chul raha hain

Last edited by suman : 27th August 2009 at 10:15.
Old 27th August 2009, 10:13   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Had a word with my service provider and they said that I need to get an FIR lodged if my phone is stolen and I need a new sim. I will visit the service center and ask them for a new sim without mentioning the stolen part.
Yup tell them sim is "lost" rather than "stolen".
Old 27th August 2009, 10:19   #15
Senior - BHPian

That is, tell a story how you lost/dropped your phone (not the SIM since losing phone means losing your SIM too in most cases) in the nearest area to that police station. This is anyway an academic exercise.

Most Viewed