Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2009, 12:56   #31
BHPian

Like techno said, I cannot be too sympathetic to someone who ends his life for reasons like this...there are lots of more important things than fretting over your job!

I have been getting disillusioned with the IT field in general and such shenanigans by HR/management seem to be fairly common too.

HR busy actually working (or doing what they are supposed to do which is take care of the humans) ? something must be wrong or it must not be an IT firm!
Old 28th August 2009, 13:05   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
I am not sure if I have any Sympathy for the chap who couldn't handle the pressure. But I am surely hearing lots of mal practices in Wipro.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay View Post
Like techno said, I cannot be too sympathetic to someone who ends his life for reasons like this...there are lots of more important things than fretting over your job!

well friends it is not just job pressure there are many factors , not able to fulfill certain obligations due to financial troubles at times drive people to an edge. We see this in many other cases such as farmers suicide , suicide by people reeling under credit card / money lender's debt etc.

It is not just pressure I have seen many people who are so much attached to the work they do that even scrapping a project purely due to business reasons and reassignment to another product / project causes an emotional trauma that their hard work for many months never got used in real life.
Managers usually need to sit and explain and calm them do.

A loss of job means a lot to such people and proper counseling is required.
Put the two factors and you can draw a picture.

Sympathy is not required but at the same time it should not be reserved just for farmers in Vidarbha and AP.
Old 28th August 2009, 13:11   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay View Post
+1 to that. Jobs come and go but one has only one life and if not this company there are many others. May be one has to give away some of the luxuries, but I am sure some one with basic education should be able to tide through such difficult times.

Am hearing about this NASSCOM initiative for the first time, and I am not a big fan of NASSCOM. It is a conglomerate of IT mafias to bulldoze their views to policy makers. I will never ever rely on their certificate/card for the skills. As a company we do background checks, that is basically to see if the applicant has actually academically qualified wrt what is said in the resume and whether he said truths in the resume. Beyond that it is purely based on interview/tests that we conduct.

Nainar
Old 28th August 2009, 13:23   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Well, nobody forces you to enrol in the NSR. So why blame NASSCOM for trying to curb the menace of fake profiles?

And, I guess everybody relies on the interview procedure to select candidates. The NSR ITPIN is another check.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
In case you have not heard the employers themself force employees to register first and there after it becomes a beating stick.
+1 to what amitk26 has said, i myself have been asked by an Tier 1 IT company to get registered with the NSR and provide them with the PIN after i got through the interview
Old 28th August 2009, 13:25   #35
BHPian

Saddened by the loss of young life. The resource were bright stars or key in growth time, now are suddenly seen as burden to these public ltd companies.

The self proclaimed Telecom major software company has laid off 3000 people and almost half that number are on corporate bench and based on age analysis will be chucked off sooner. Why the hail they need to do, comes the reality of investment in buyout of #3 IT company and associated market debt coupled with near flat business.

Ok coming to layoff mechanism, identify the number at organisation/vertical/project level ,find person(s) on pseudo-parameters (low performance, inflexible, attitude ...) , give him option to sign resignation letter (with 2 months salary and clean exit as BONUS) or else threaten with suspension/disciplinary action. These guys keep the person on payroll for 2months, but the resource can't enter office/system.

The companies are using the market situation and fear factor to make people slog for 14-15 hours all 7 days at junior/middle level.

Whom are these PCMM crown holders fooling ? It is high time NASSCOM and governement audit the people processes, bring the real face out.
Old 28th August 2009, 13:31   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
What a waste of human life -- all he needed was:
1. Rs 29,000 for a decent PC (at home)
2. Rs 1,000 for a good programming books
+ time which he had.

Just learn, practice, practice & clear the interview in some other company.

what if he had loans mate ??
Old 28th August 2009, 13:35   #37
BANNED

Quote:
In case you have not heard the employers themself force employees to register first and there after it becomes a beating stick.
How does it become a beating stick? How different is this from registering your passport details or PAN details?

Quote:
Yes but the difference in how the interview process is materialized for example in 2 well known big Indian IT companies and at least on big MNC IT service outfit the process relies on Question banks and answer given there.
The Interview questions are basically on the past projects done and not very technical so emphasis is more on the past ( technical capability part is anyway client's headache ) and full reliance is on the background verification.

For a robust interview process the panel sitting need to have certain level of competency on the subject rather then a generalists doing man-month tracking using MS project or excel sheets.
My point was and is: The interview / discussion remains the method to select. What's wrong in having another check?

And I still fail to understand why NASSCOM is being blamed in this thread.

Last edited by hrag : 28th August 2009 at 13:36.
Old 28th August 2009, 14:30   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanstorm View Post

The self proclaimed Telecom major software company has laid off 3000 people and almost half that number are on corporate bench and based on age analysis will be chucked off sooner. Why the hail they need to do, comes the reality of investment in buyout of #3 IT company and associated market debt coupled with near flat business.
age analysis: What do you mean?
Old 28th August 2009, 14:54   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How does it become a beating stick? How different is this from registering your passport details or PAN details?
Are you really so naive ? The whole blacklisting thing in the Skills registry is nothing but a blackmail tool .

For a moment lets assume that even if a person does not perform optimally in my organisation or have misrepresented few facts to me does this give me some sort of right to threaten him that i can kill his chances of better employment elsewhere for the life.

If an organisation is so concerned about misrepresentation of facts the right way is to terminate services of person in question and file a civil case as is done in any other industry not to form a cartel and give threats that you will never find employment forever in your life if we give some negative comments.

What right do NASSACOM members have to share the employemnt data ?

NASSACOM is at fault by hosting such service and making it's member agree not to recruit based on this list. NASSACOM is an industry body not a civil dispute resolution ot law enforcement agency.

Quote:

My point was and is: The interview / discussion remains the method to select. What's wrong in having another check?

And I still fail to understand why NASSCOM is being blamed in this thread.
See the reason above.
Old 28th August 2009, 15:00   #40
BANNED

Where exactly did you read the term blacklisting dear sir?
Old 28th August 2009, 15:30   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anainar View Post
and I am not a big fan of NASSCOM. It is a conglomerate of IT mafias to bulldoze their views to policy makers.
Well said!

As the abbreviation of NASSCOM, it is the national association of IT & BPO cos. in India.
It is a pro-industry body, promoting & safe-guarding the interests of its member IT Cos!
However, it cares a damn for the employees of the IT Cos!

When the mass layoffs were happening this year in most of the Top IT Cos, what did they do?
Just NOTHING!

It is unfortunate that we don't have a pro-employee body to counter the malpractices of the IT Cos!
Old 28th August 2009, 15:38   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
It is unfortunate that we don't have a pro-employee body to counter the malpractices of the IT Cos!
Such bodies are called unions. And they haven't exactly covered themselves in glory in India either, which is why they are slowly getting marginalized in India.
And that is also why, to an approach some of them had made to IT employees a few years ago, they were not welcome. That was of course also when the IT community thought it to be immune from business cycles, and thought the growth story would never have any hiccups, and this helped them dismiss the offer of the unions to enrol them.
Old 28th August 2009, 15:56   #43
Senior - BHPian

So the time may be ripe now for the unions to make the attempt again!
Old 28th August 2009, 16:13   #44
Team-BHP Support

The first thing Union will demand is equality in pay, based on seniority rather than merit. This is because the former can be easily quantified unlike the latter.

How many IT people can stomach that?

Last edited by Samurai : 28th August 2009 at 16:14.
Old 28th August 2009, 16:21   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The first thing Union will demand is equality in pay, based on seniority rather than merit. This is because the former can be easily quantified unlike the latter.

How many IT people can stomach that?
Then they will have to grin and bear the exploitation, that is all. There will be a sacrifice to be made if they want security.

If the IT/BPO companies can form a representative body to represent themselves and to lobby with the government, but deny the same right to their employees, it amounts to denial of natural justice.

I predict that the IT/BPO workers will organize themselves in some manner sooner rather than later.

Last edited by Gansan : 28th August 2009 at 16:29.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks