Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2009, 11:18   #16
BANNED

What a waste of human life -- all he needed was:
1. Rs 29,000 for a decent PC (at home)
2. Rs 1,000 for a good programming books
+ time which he had.

Just learn, practice, practice & clear the interview in some other company.
Old 28th August 2009, 11:19   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superleggera View Post
Vishal Vadav, who was working for Wipro Technologies jumped to death from multi storied Wipro building in Electronics city.

He was on LOP for 3 months and looks like a clear case of forced resignation. Its high time that some Govt. agencies screened all the IT companies induction and resignation/layoff policies. I heard from many of my friends that if thet are on bench for a certain period of time,they have been asked to sign couple of blank papers and if we don’t do that the HR will threaten that his name will be black marked in NASCOMM and he will not get a job ever.

I work with Wipro, and i am ashamed by the moral and attitude of the senior managers and HRs in this company.

May his soul rest in peace.

News: Techie jumps to death

Related article:Sacked Wipro employee alleges harassment - SiliconIndia
Good to know a Wipro employess, has the guts to highlight it's bad HR policies.
Old 28th August 2009, 11:28   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Can't someone complain to NASSCOM about this misuse. In my company, if someone is to be terminated and asked to resign, it is based on fact and evidence. If there are counter evidence, it will be considered
Please read my last post , NASSACOM is the root cause of problem not solution.
Old 28th August 2009, 11:41   #19
BANNED

Wow - so many comments against NASSCOM based on hearsay - the thread initiator heard many friends talk about blasklisting

Sounds a lot like hearsay regarding Mahindra launching the new MM whatever - helps people increase post counts.
Old 28th August 2009, 11:42   #20
BHPian

Wipro is becoming a real can of worms.

On one side, there has been major scams in recruitment (someones in the resourcing team made a few crores over the years) and on the other side, massive lay-off's are done in a Proper Mafia fashion by threatening and terrorizing employees.

The amount of employees thrown out by Wipro between Sep08-Aug09 is above 23,000!!! Media is well aware of these situations and are playing it down for obvious reasons.

Take my word. This is one company which is guaranteed to see massive resignations and go down when the industry picks up after recession. Even people who are currently "safe" inside Wipro are just playing a wait game.

I'm sure there are more skeletons inside the closet.
Old 28th August 2009, 11:51   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Wow - so many comments against NASSCOM based on hearsay - the thread initiator heard many friends talk about blasklisting

Sounds a lot like hearsay regarding Mahindra launching the new MM whatever - helps people increase post counts.
What is hearsay here , hear from the horses mouth.
In USA for instance any industry body can not gather guts to take such steps. If there is this kind of private record keeping it is bound to be misused by employers and will be used as threat tool.

National Skills Registry for IT/ITES Professional (NSR-ITP)

Some snippet's
"The National Skills Registry is an industry initiative to ensure that individuals employed by organizations have their background and antecedents verified, thereby preventing, if not eliminating, the menace of fake resumes."

"
Biometrics viz., Photograph and Finger Prints. Finger Prints are used only to ensure that the record created is unique i.e., an individual cannot create a duplicate record for him / her self.
The information uploaded by the individual is checked for accuracy by a Background Checking Company (EBC) which has been empanelled (after suitable due diligence exercise is carried out) for purposes of National Skills Registry."

In my company and at least in the interview panels I sit we rely on the interview questions and giving some problems to the candidate rather then depending on some verifying body and skill level on engineers are pleasantly higher then any of the Nassacom card bearers.
Old 28th August 2009, 11:57   #22
BANNED

Well, you might be surprised at the number of fake profiles - why, even fake people - that are encountered on a daily basis. If the NSR helps curb such a menace, then why not?

Why is the USA dragged into so many posts here? Does it set the benchmark for anything?
Old 28th August 2009, 12:03   #23
Senior - BHPian

That guy who committed suicide is happens to be classmate, roomate of one of my team member. He was off yesterday taking care of his body until his parents arrived from Gwalior.

He was not assigned to any project and it seems he was forced to resign. I heard something inside out from my team member but not confirmed. If It is case of suicide matter should be investigated properly.
Old 28th August 2009, 12:06   #24
BHPian

How reliable is this NASSCOM verification procedure?
In India, when anything from Driver's License to Voter's ID card can be "Purchased", I would not put even a dime's worth of confidence in this NSR
Old 28th August 2009, 12:13   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, you might be surprised at the number of fake profiles - why, even fake people - that are encountered on a daily basis. If the NSR helps curb such a menace, then why not?
No surprises for me I have been interviewing people for last many years and can assure 95% resumes are dressed up ( will detest from saying fake).

My process for filtering is relying on interview / written test / programming assignment rather then relying on NASSACOM.
Personally I simply don't trust NASSACOM because their member companies themselves indulge in malpractices while sending resumes to clients.

How do you expect me to trust the people ( read NASSACOM members) who send dressed up resume of their employees to the clients for outsource projects. ( yours truly in this case) , Though I am not taking names but they all are tier 1 IT vendors.
Quote:
Why is the USA dragged into so many posts here? Does it set the benchmark for anything?
yes USA is benchmark at least for personal liberty , privacy of data and ensuring individual rights. It is no coincidence that most innovative companies are found in the land which enshrine these values and Indian IT vendors fail to come up with any decent products or innovation.

Last edited by amitk26 : 28th August 2009 at 12:15.
Old 28th August 2009, 12:32   #26
BANNED

Well, nobody forces you to enrol in the NSR. So why blame NASSCOM for trying to curb the menace of fake profiles?

And, I guess everybody relies on the interview procedure to select candidates. The NSR ITPIN is another check.

No comment on the USA value system.
Old 28th August 2009, 12:35   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superleggera View Post
I heard from many of my friends that if thet are on bench for a certain period of time,they have been asked to sign couple of blank papers and if we don’t do that the HR will threaten that his name will be black marked in NASCOMM and he will not get a job ever.
Being in IT field myelf, this is the first time i am hearing such a news, am not sure on the authenticity of the news as well.

Sad that the guy chose to end his life, do not know what his situation was but neverthless ending his life is not the solution. one thing is for sure, too much money in IT field has spoiled this generation and they are not able to accept failures/pressures and not adaptalble to situations without money.

coming to the layoff point, as far as i have seen people who are not into projects for a long time or poor performers only are being laid off / asked to resign. We still do not have mass layoffs happening unlike in usa, yet.
Old 28th August 2009, 12:42   #28
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure if I have any Sympathy for the chap who couldn't handle the pressure. But I am surely hearing lots of mal practices in Wipro.

The latest that I have heard is that people who are on Bench for more than a week receive only half pay & even if they get billable they will have to be billable for 3 months or so to get back to the original pay (The amount will be reimbursed prorated for the billable not paid period).

If this is indeed true then its ridiculous.
Old 28th August 2009, 12:49   #29
Senior - BHPian

Is this the price we pay for throwing out labour laws through the window in the name of SEZs and Tech Parks? If too much of regulation and Unionism is one extreme, this kind of exploitation is the other extreme. Workers need to be organised to some extent to prevent this. It is essential the way salt is for a meal. Too much of it can spoil the meal, though.

Last edited by Gansan : 28th August 2009 at 12:50.
Old 28th August 2009, 12:54   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, nobody forces you to enrol in the NSR. So why blame NASSCOM for trying to curb the menace of fake profiles?
In case you have not heard the employers themself force employees to register first and there after it becomes a beating stick.

Quote:
And, I guess everybody relies on the interview procedure to select candidates. The NSR ITPIN is another check.
Yes but the difference in how the interview process is materialized for example in 2 well known big Indian IT companies and at least on big MNC IT service outfit the process relies on Question banks and answer given there.
The Interview questions are basically on the past projects done and not very technical so emphasis is more on the past ( technical capability part is anyway client's headache ) and full reliance is on the background verification.

For a robust interview process the panel sitting need to have certain level of competency on the subject rather then a generalists doing man-month tracking using MS project or excel sheets.

Most Viewed