Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2009, 14:04   #121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
I'm only questioning hearsay
sorry for OT !

Aren't forums for hearsays AND opinions AND sarcasms AND yes surely THE facts.

I would prefer reading a news/company website or even journals for FACTS.

Lets welcome opinions and build on it. Isnt it OK ?

IT company in which i work reduced my salary.
Old 1st September 2009, 14:09   #122
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
No, but some of us are.
WHOA!!! You mean to say the screening process of a new hire involves finding his pseudo name online and then nailing him because he typed something bad about the company somewhere?

Man!!! you folks are paranoid.

PS: You are in HR?
Old 1st September 2009, 14:10   #123
BHPian

Only if Indian IT companies, lays off people giving severance packages these situations may not arise. People may find is easier to digest the fact they don't have a job, but they use the severance package to help themselves find another job. Just my opinion.

One of my friend was asked to resign, when he refused. He was told if he doesn't his career would be over, he may not be eligible to sit in any interview.

Within a span of few days he resigned, but luckily he had family and friends to fall back upon.

Wouldn't it be fair, on the part of the company to simply give the pink slip and adequate severance package. He might support himself for few days without putting himself under any financial burden and continue with his job search.

No prizes for guessing which company he once worked for.

In this hour, when every one is holding onto their respective jobs, 23K people left an organization, to me it sounds fishy.

Last edited by thebagchi : 1st September 2009 at 14:12. Reason: correcting spelling mistakes
Old 1st September 2009, 14:15   #124
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebagchi View Post
No prizes for guessing which company he once worked for.
Can we have multiple choice so we can try and give an answer? We don't want a prize anyway.

Battered, bruised and still don't want to divulge names? WHY?
Old 1st September 2009, 14:17   #125
BHPian

Someone quoted Motorola. I remember EDS having a 2 month per working year severance packages as well. And that is perhaps not restricted to 8 years. So go figure, how much money these "Driven by Values" and "Experience Certainty" and others saving by not planning for it.

For all those who want to know what are the terms and conditions of National Skills Registry, here they are.

Source https://nationalskillsregistry.com/n...dCondition.jsp

Quote:
4. I am aware of the following and agree that:-

a) That NSR will record the information as provided by me and I shall endeavor to ensure to update my personal particulars previously provided by me so as to make available to the viewers authorised by me my current personal particulars (Profile).

b) My employer or any user authorised by me may arrange to verify my Profile either through a Background Checker Empanelled (EBC) by NDML or through its own source at its cost. If I request for verification of my Profile, an EBC randomly selected by NDML may verify my Profile for which I shall bear the costs. The EBC may record its findings against my profile.My employer company can update on NSR the details of the background check report available with it against my details entered by me on NSR.

c) I can specify the users who may view my Profile on NSR. However, my current employer may access my verified profile, with the comments appended by the EBC, if any, at any time, during my employment.

d) Any user, other than my current employer, authorised by me may view my verified profile along with the comments appended by the EBC, if any, during the period specified by me.

e) Any user, other than my current employer, user authorised by me may view my verified profile along with the comments appended by the EBC, if any, for a period of sixty (60) calendar days from the date of authorisation in the event I do not specify the viewing period.

f) My employer company, as recorded by me on NSR database, can verify the employment details as entered by me and can confirm the correctness of this information and record the same on NSR.

g) My employer company can also update my relieving date from such company on NSR.

h) I shall have the authority to access, enter, modify or update my profile on NSR.

i) NDML and/or its officials shall not be responsible for usage of my personal particulars by my employer / users authorised by me. .
Sentences quoted in bold can be used against a person by HR if he doesn't agree to their T&C.

Anyway, I wouldn't like to register for it, given its scope of misuse. And for those who are talking about individuals dressing up or fudging data & resumes, companies do that more often than individuals, especially IT services companies, like shadowing telephonic interviews, manipulating scores & surveys, asking employees to moonlight without pay, etc.

Last but not the least, I pity the poor soul who couldn't take it all and beyond books and people. May his folks have the strength to go through the phase.
Old 1st September 2009, 14:19   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
WHOA!!! You mean to say the screening process of a new hire involves finding his pseudo name online and then nailing him because he typed something bad about the company somewhere?

Well not quite impossible until some one is never logging in from Office / Company provided laptop using that screen name.

There are security products like D Agent which monitor each and every activity on the laptop/ desktops and sync the logs / screen shots with a company server. Analyse the Terrabytes of data and create reports based on certain predefine profile of activities such as Source code / docuemnt upload to external sites , job search , Personal e-mails on G-Mail , Yahoo , etc with job offers etc.

Once your screen name is in the DB watch list your activities online can easily be tracked.

This is how project managers get alert from Security team once a team member is browsing N A U K A R I . C 0 M or receive that e-mail on personal account with offer letter in PDF attachment.

PS : Well lets not blame HR and annoy HR guys further it is mostly corporate security / data security department
Old 1st September 2009, 14:31   #127
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Once your screen name is in the DB watch list your activities online can easily be tracked.

This is how project managers get alert from Security team once a team member is browsing N A U K A R I . C 0 M or receive that e-mail on personal account with offer letter in PDF attachment.
That's unethical right there. Snooping low life freaks, that's what such project managers are. I have seen this happen and i know it stinks. But that doesn't make it right.

Being a manager i know when an employee is not satisfied and when he would be looking for a different job. i don't need to snoop his personal email ids. That's just downright cheap. I don't understand what ethics such people have.

I am not sure whether you support it or not, but if a PM is doing that he is not good enough. No doubts as to why the employee is looking for a new job.

Last edited by Spitfire : 1st September 2009 at 14:32.
Old 1st September 2009, 14:46   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Hello?!! When did I adopt a "holier than thou" stance? I'm only questioning hearsay and I have never maintained that the IT industry is completely ethical. But to link somebody's suicide to NASSCOM maintaining a skills registry is a little too rich isn't it Srikanth?
Hrishi I have already mentioned that in this instance you may right to question Nascom being blamed for the suicide, but what I was trying to convey was that it is not fair to ignore the number of cases where the IT industry has not behaved ethically hearsay or otherwise. I actually wanted to convey that its not fair on IT industry to adopt a "Holier than thou" attitude, sorry if it came across as me pointing that as your attitude.
Old 1st September 2009, 14:47   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

nope, A close friend of mine got rejected from an interview of a medium scale hardware co because he had been blogging about his interview experiences (nothing specific, like questions etc, and nothing negative) . At his final interview , he was told to delete all the blog posts because the interview process was confidential, if he wished to get selected. Apparently his blog had a higher google page rank than the company, and when people searched for the company name, his blog came up first, and their management was not very happy ! Of the 9 people who attended the final interview, everyone except him got selected. He was more than qualified than the rest of them, and didn't have any other issues during the final interview.

This particular company may or may not have been justified in its course of actions - I'm not blaming them, but such an incident was enough to make our circle of friends sufficiently cautious.

I am not in HR, but after interactions with our HR, I'm pretty sure they are capable of acting as cluelessly/malevolently as the others are claimed to act.

Last edited by greenhorn : 1st September 2009 at 14:56.
Old 1st September 2009, 14:48   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Can we have multiple choice so we can try and give an answer? We don't want a prize anyway.

Battered, bruised and still don't want to divulge names? WHY?
some times "Applying Thought" helps.
need i say anymore
Old 1st September 2009, 14:59   #131
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
At his final interview , he was told to delete all the blog posts because the interview process was confidential, if he wished to get selected.
LOL. Sorry for saying this but your friend well....err.... needs to be a bit more smarter then blogging about his interview even before being selected or for that matter after that. Its confidential. Imagine after joining he starts blogging about the product he is working on. Commonsense?? No wonder he got rejected.

And his blog has a higher google rank...that should make him not do it at all.

Quote:
This particular company may or may not have been justified in its course of actions - I'm not blaming them, but such an incident was enough to make our circle of friends sufficiently cautious.
We need to be careful about what we reflect on our social networking online profiles - better still don't have one. But if you have one, be smart about it.

Quote:
need i say anymore
Well... there was a bit of sarcasm on there. Sorry.

Last edited by Spitfire : 1st September 2009 at 15:01.
Old 1st September 2009, 15:09   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's unethical right there. Snooping low life freaks, that's what such project managers are. I have seen this happen and i know it stinks. But that doesn't make it right.
PMs are generally not responsible for this, or asks for this kind of data in my organization it is more to do with corporate security and to prevent leaking of IP / trade secrets

Well it depends how the things are seen and how tool is used, Employees are explained fully that company resources including servers and bandwidth are for official use and thus company has rights to monitor them and if they want to do any personal work either they should be aware.

In my organization no one cares about personal mails as long as you do not upload any document watermarked "Confidential and propriety ". Similarly design and source upload is strict no-no and there is a defined process to contribute back to the open source.

It is not just about people satisfaction but more to prevent industrial espionage but yes IT service companies use the tool in different manner.

Last edited by amitk26 : 1st September 2009 at 15:11.
Old 1st September 2009, 15:09   #133
Senior - BHPian

My previous company offered severance pay of 3 months salary for every completed year, maximum five years and minimum severance pay as 3 months sal (for people on board less than an year).
Besides, no one was given termination, rather they were asked to resign. Google "The world's premier measurement company".
Old 1st September 2009, 15:16   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
need i say anymore
Quote:
Well... there was a bit of sarcasm on there. Sorry.
What thebagchi means is crystal clear to me. I don't see any sarcasm.
Old 1st September 2009, 15:18   #135
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
What thebagchi means is crystal clear to me. I don't see any sarcasm.
Oh well... not in thebagchi's post but in my post to which he replied. sorry for the confusion.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks