Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2009, 14:33   #61
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitsecond View Post
COMMUNICATION LINK
What then is a TRANSMISSION LINK that broke down which we are talking about?
Old 4th September 2009, 14:54   #62
BHPian

Quote:
please relax and try to understand that once gps tracking device is locked with satellite its COMMUNICATION LINK never fails no matter how bad the weather is. The link only fails only when unit is completely destroyed or its in bottom of river.
SplitSecond buddy...Please read about GPS Tracking basics for a split-second and then we will discuss . You are totally mistaken on GPS, GPS Tracking and Radio links.

F.Y.I: As part of my work, I was previously involved with commercial GPS Tracking solutions for Ships and Road fleets. Also I have a home-brew GPS tracker on my car for close to 4 years now in various iterations and since I designed it for my use, I should know what I'm talking.

Last edited by Digital Vampire : 4th September 2009 at 15:03.
Old 4th September 2009, 15:00   #63
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Agree some are corrupt & inefficient, but there are some like YSR (as I have heard) who worked hard for the upliftment of poor & downtrodden segment of our society esp in the rural areas!
YSR might have done his part for a section of poor & downtrodden. But he had his share of controversies. Any Google search will lead there.
Old 4th September 2009, 15:45   #64
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
What then is a TRANSMISSION LINK that broke down which we are talking about?
The failed transmission link that authorities are talking about is becon's which failed to trigger(start radio communication) in that impact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post
SplitSecond buddy...Please read about GPS Tracking basics for a split-second and then we will discuss . You are totally mistaken on GPS, GPS Tracking and Radio links.
Please be more specific, i think you are totally confused with my reply to others post.The chopper didn't have any real time gps tracking system, that's what i said earlier, you and others got confused it for beacon's(communication link) which only connects to the satellite(through radio link) when its triggered in impact.
Old 4th September 2009, 16:26   #65
BHPian

Broadly speaking, there are basically two main blocks inside a GPS tracking unit fitted onto an object/asset that need to be tracked (Ex. Car, Truck, ship, aircraft...).

1) A GPS Receiver which receives the positional coordinates from GPS satellites. Its a one way system which can only receive the satellite transmission and calculate the position based on the satellite lock.
2) A wireless link which transmits the calculated position information back to the monitoring agency/website. This should not be confused with the GPS satellite.

Quote:
once gps tracking device is locked with satellite its COMMUNICATION LINK never fails no matter how bad the weather is.
Wrong: GPS signals are susceptible to thick tree cover, proximity of multiple tall buildings (as in huge cities), huge metal structures...GPS receiver performance degrades when there is no clear view of the sky but there are sensitive GPS receivers which overcomes this to a certain extend, but not completely.

Quote:
The link only fails only when unit is completely destroyed or its in bottom of river.
Wrong again: The communication link is generally through GSM/CDMA mobile network in commercial land based solutions but use communication satellite uplinks in case of ships and even in some land based fleet management solutions where GSM/CDMA signals are not reliable. There could be solutions which may use dedicated radio links for position upload other than above for example defense forces.

And above all, if the power source/battery fails, everything becomes useless.

We may be seriously OT here. PM me if you need to know more on GPS tracking.
Old 4th September 2009, 16:44   #66
BHPian

In this whole episode, Media should be credited for creating a national hero !!
YSR is catapulted at a national level in death !! He was a wily politician with a big share of controversies to boot too. Hope the next Bharat Ratna is given to him posthumously.

Somehow accidents and morbid episodes capture the imagination of a whole nation and the media are out to milk it. Wondering where did all other stories of burglaries, rapes, kids fallng into deep pits etc. disappear for 48 hours.
I suppose the major victim of the last 24 hours was poor Ganesha who was elbowed out of the national channels on his Visarjan day.
Old 4th September 2009, 16:58   #67
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay456 View Post
Hope the next Bharat Ratna is given to him posthumously.
Crocodile tears on National TV

Quote:
I suppose the major victim of the last 24 hours was poor Ganesha who was elbowed out of the national channels on his Visarjan day.
Poor Ganesha his moment of glory taken away. At least he will return next year. Not so with YSR.
Old 4th September 2009, 18:49   #68
BANNED

Quote:
Wrong: GPS signals are susceptible to thick tree cover, proximity of multiple tall buildings (as in huge cities), huge metal structures...GPS receiver performance degrades when there is no clear view of the sky but there are sensitive GPS receivers which overcomes this to a certain extend, but not completely.
wrong you can say these in the case of weak gps units,but gps units used by defense system can overcome most proximity problems like tree cover and tall buildings.For example even a puny gps receiver in bt-359 can get a lock from inside a building.So we don't need to talk about power of gps units that are used by defense system.

Quote:
Wrong again: The communication link is generally through GSM/CDMA mobile network in commercial land based solutions but use communication satellite uplinks in case of ships and even in some land based fleet management solutions where GSM/CDMA signals are not reliable. There could be solutions which may use dedicated radio links for position upload other than above for example defense forces.
Wrong,People like YSR who are under high security would never use commercial land based solutions.

Quote:
PM me if you need to know more on GPS tracking.
No sir,you are already confused reading my reply that actually meant to other member and quoted me wrongly, i don't want to confuse you more.

Quote:
We may be seriously OT here.
lets stop here
Old 7th September 2009, 19:49   #69
BHPian

Quote:
No,with gps device installed in a vehicle it allows other people to track exact location of that particular vehicle. Many private hospitals here in kerala uses gps tracking device in their Ambulance. For example you can install this tracking device in your car and if someone steels it you can still find the car in real time in a map.Its not that costly, mapmyindia sells this in india
Store Locator, Track Online, Map Store, Mobile Services, Vehicle Tracking, GPS Vehicle Tracking

Gps tracking
GPS tracking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
O.K. now this is getting interesting. Splitsecond, if you kindly read the Wiki link you provided, you will see that the trackers that are being talked about locate themselves using GPS. That part is correct. Thereafter, these devices transmit this position to a central server using other means i.e. a mobile network, any independent wireless network e.t.c.. Hence, a GPS in itself does not transmit it's own position, but there are devices which use GPS to locate their own position and thereafter transmit this information for other purposes. Hence, it will be wrong to say that if the ill fated chopper was carrying a GPS, it could have been easily located. On the contrary, all civil carriers are equipped with ELTs and, the latest ones have incorporated a GPS reciever into themselves, and these transmit the lat/long of the downed vehicle via satellite to the recieving station while also transmitting distress signals at the international distress frequencies i.e. 121.5 KHz and 243 MHz.

And about your contention about GPS units being used in the forces, well, I am in the forces and I have been using GPS for the last 9 years in military applications. Ad yes!! We do have lock breaks!! Trust me!!

Last edited by neel385 : 7th September 2009 at 19:56. Reason: Addititional info

Most Viewed