Team-BHP - Something is wrong
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   Something is wrong (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/6522-something-wrong.html)

I have been driving my car with one of my friends seated in the front. Though I have not taken much/any assistance from them, I would like to have them seated for feel good factor.

Last week, I took the vehicle to Mayajal on my own ( without any of my friends). I parked the car, switched the engine off & removed the keys. I heard one strange beep sound, which I have never heard before. I was not able to locate what it was. I tried pulling down the hand brake to the max, checked all the windows were closed properly, restarted the engine & switched it off back to end up with the same problem. But I could sense that I was missing something. For a moment I thought to lock the doors to find out whether the beep sound exists. At last decided not to close the door unless I detect it.

It took me a while to struck my mind that I had put the headlights on when I took the right turn to Mayajal. I rolled down the stick & the beep sound stopped. RELAXED.

I was explaining this to one of my friend & he was telling me that battery would get exhausted within few hrs & need to recharge the battery to start the car back. Luckily I was not caught with this problem

oh you are lucky...had done the same thing earlier...left my headlights on and left the car running....luckily battery dint die out since it was running but i did melt my headlights and that is permanent damage!!!!
had 140 watt bulbs though.....gotta be more careful..

Forget the headlights. I know someone who forgot to turn off the map reading light and it remained on overnight and killed the batery.

Well for a change the Hyundai guys thought of something here... When you kill the engine in a Santro, the headlights go off automatically. Only the parking lights remain on. Helps preserve the battery teeny weeny bit longer in case you forget. The headlights can be switched on only in the Ignition positon and not in the ACC.

Ice, you mean you left your car running all night? Boy you must have been drunk!

Same thing in indica too. But mine had a different problem. The radiator fan got left on and drained the battery. Happened only once though!

It happened to me in Zen. Unknowingly I switched on headlights when going to office and left them like that. By lunch hour, the battery was dead.

Fortunately in Palio everything goes off when I switch off the ignition. If I have to switch on the parking lights, there is a small button next to key. Press it, turn the key to the left most and remove the key. I like this feature in Palio.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iceman91
oh you are lucky...had done the same thing earlier...left my headlights on and left the car running....luckily battery dint die out since it was running but i did melt my headlights and that is permanent damage!!!!
had 140 watt bulbs though.....gotta be more careful..

How come you didnt forget to get out of the car?????? :confused:

PS: Dyou also own a petrol pump or are you going out with the daughter of somebody who does?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeroid
How come you didnt forget to get out of the car?????? :confused:

PS: Dyou also own a petrol pump or are you going out with the daughter of somebody who does?

lol: good one...... rl:

Quote:

Same thing in indica too.
yup a nice feature
however i forgot to put off lights because of that couple of times.

astra has warning buzzer which is continious & loud enough to make you notice while in accord the lights go off after some time! even the fogs

It's only Marutis, I think, where all the lights don't need a key.

@tsk, doesn't the radiator fan work automatically? That probably means the cutoff switch is not functioning.

Ya man usually when u switch off the ignition the radiator fan goes off irespective of how hot the engine is... electricals might be wrong get em checked.....

Happened when we were abroad with a rental car.
A volvo.
We forgot to switch off lights the full night and we had to call the rental car guys to jump start the cars.

Nope, thats the way the electricals are, the fan is completely independent.

Its like this, you go on a long fast drive, then head home & cut off the car,all fine right-
Nope- Now the coolant pump has stopped, the engine is still bloody hot & there's nothing cooling it down, and you hv some heat stress built in the engine

But if the fan & pump run independently, you will find that you come hope, switch off the car, the fan keeps running, even tho the keys are in yr pocket & the car is locked, Thats cools the engine to normal levels & the fan cuts out- Result- longer engine life