Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2009, 01:53   #1
BHPian

Credit Card Points, what do you redeem them for

I've been using a HDFC MC Silvercard for years now, and the Reward Points have accumulated to a large number now.

I've 40,000 points now.

as per bank site, there's no option to convert silver card earned points to Air Miles, sob sob sob
only few non-exciting stuff being offered for silver card .

anybody with idea that can be bought through these points.

has anyone converted them to air miles by negotiation etc.
Old 11th September 2009, 09:56   #2
Senior - BHPian

I have the HDFC Platinum Plus card and it allows me to convert into King Miles. Try negotiating them and threaten that you'd cancel the card blah blah.
Old 11th September 2009, 09:59   #3
BHPian

I have a Deutsche Bank Platinum card, I recently redeemed 1/3rd of my points for a Blr-Del-Blr flight.
The bank had comeout with the offer so I got lucky!!

Cheers
Shrey
Old 11th September 2009, 10:02   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post

I've 40,000 points now.

as per bank site, there's no option to convert silver card earned points to Air Miles, sob sob sob
only few non-exciting stuff being offered for silver card .

anybody with idea that can be bought through these points.
Call customer support number and request them innocuously to swap your card in to an IOC petro card. After the swap takes place, request for petrol coupons. Save up your petrol money and buy the air tickets. Enjoy!

Last edited by Gansan : 11th September 2009 at 10:03.
Old 11th September 2009, 10:05   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Call customer support number and request them innocuously to swap your card in to an IOC petro card. After the swap takes place, request for petrol coupons. Save up your petrol money and buy the air tickets. Enjoy!
Which card is this boss ? Couldn't find anything on their site.
Old 11th September 2009, 10:24   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
Which card is this boss ? Couldn't find anything on their site.
Mine is a Citibank card. I did the swap after I accumulated points and found the rewards list not to my liking. Thereafter I was getting petrol coupons for Rs 1500 every year, till one day they called me and asked if I wanted an upgrade to a Platinum card which I accepted. After receiving the upgraded card only I came to know it is not a petro card, and they don't have one for platinum cards. Now I have to wait a while and request a switch back to petro card.

Since Citi and ICICI have petro cards, I thought HDFC will also have one. Sorry if it is not available.
Old 11th September 2009, 11:24   #7
Senior - BHPian

I am wondering why and how HDFC did not upgrade you to Gold or Platinum card yet. It happened with me with all major card companies viz. Citibank, HSBC and HDFC. Based on my spending pattern and usage, I was regularly pampered with either free for life upgrade to the next level or increase in credit limit. Of course, the basic premise is that you always pay your outstanding in full and on time.

And btw, I never could accumulate so many reward points at one go in my last 6 years of usage. Maybe because I constantly kept redeeming them for sundry things like airmiles, magazine subscriptions, stupid daily use things etc.

Ask them to upgrade you to Platinum right away. But do check beforehand that your reward points should not lapse due to the upgrade.

Last edited by nishantgandhi : 11th September 2009 at 11:28.
Old 11th September 2009, 11:56   #8
BHPian

I don't use my Credit Card much but this time I had about 1000 points which I redeemed with a Planet M voucher.
Old 11th September 2009, 14:08   #9
BHPian

hey guys,

You should see if your bank offers rewards through the I-mint program. I redeemed my points for a Sony Ps3 with Blueray! I'm now accumulating points to get a new A/c or a Canon digital SLR.
Old 11th September 2009, 14:24   #10
Senior - BHPian

I have a Goldfish CC in England and have redeemed my points for John Lewis vouchers. I have about £330 in vouchers so far and my intention was to save enough over the years to cover the cost of a new television (when our current CRT set packed up). The CRT is however still going strong and will last a while, by that time I should have enough vouchers to buy a 42" LCD.
Old 11th September 2009, 14:43   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
hey guys,

You should see if your bank offers rewards through the I-mint program. I redeemed my points for a Sony Ps3 with Blueray! I'm now accumulating points to get a new A/c or a Canon digital SLR.
WolfHeart,

How many points did it take?

Can't wait to reach home to check!
Old 11th September 2009, 15:11   #12
Senior - BHPian

In your case one thing is pretty funny, As you said you are using this silver car for years now and the you have 40000 rewards points that means you must have purchased stuff worth Rs.8000000/- (eighty lac's) (1 rewards per 200/- spent) and still bank has not upgraded your card this is one thing i can't digest.

I too use a HDFC BANK Card recently they upgraded my car to Platinum Plus card with enhanced limit (almost 3 times of my previous car titanium), Check with your local HDFC Credit Card department why haven't they did this with you.
Old 11th September 2009, 15:13   #13
BANNED

Call them up, and ask for the redemption table. Remember you get more stuff if you have a higher rated card. The valuations change. If they allow air miles nothing like it. With 40,000 points you may be able to get to London & back!
Old 11th September 2009, 15:40   #14
BHPian

If nothing else is an option, ask for a card upgrade (your points are carried forward to the new card) and then redeem for the goodies available with the upgraded card.
Old 11th September 2009, 18:51   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
WolfHeart,

How many points did it take?

Can't wait to reach home to check!
There's some pretty good stuff for grabs in the I-mint reward catalogues. have a look at their website...........i think it's imintpoints.com!
cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks