Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2009, 11:33   #16
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
Hi,
My mother seems to have got early signs of arthritis in her knees and from the last 6 months her mobility has drastically reduced. Where she once used to walk 2-3 kms at a stretch she can now only do 0.5 kms before the pain in her knees becomes very painful which has naturally made her very upset and I am little worried. She is 57 now so it seems a little early for this.

I have taken her to the orthopedic regularly for checkups but he has prescribed some exercises and if the pain is severe some injections. She has been doing those leg exercises but the pain hasn't improved.
I recently read some advertisement in Readers Digest about Green Lipped mussel capsules for Arthritis and it searched on the net too and it seems to have some anti inflammatory qualities.

I would like to know if any here (Docs?) have seen it used anywhere effectively? They say over a period of several months of taking that the pain reduces and mobility comes back to normal but I am sceptical of these Ads.
1) There is a tablet called "Rejoint" - costs Rs. 100 for 10 tablets. It needs
to be taken twice a day - has good results with Knee pain - it will be a month or two before you see any improvement.
It contains Glucosamine & Chondroitin
These aren't medicines per se, but supplements.
Glucosamine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Chondroitin sulfate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This supplement causes a little stomach upset. Hence it's good to start with 1 tablet a day for a week
or so to figure out if the person adjusts to it.

2) Stop all Ayurvedic medicines immedietelly. It's utter rubbish to say
natural medicines have no side effects. The only difference between
Western & Natural medicines is that Western Medicines side effects are
known & documented.
My wife got Knee Pain by taking Ayurvedic medicines for other ailments.
I did a little googling on this & found out that a lot of Ayurvedic medicines contain Heavy Metals which can cause Knee Pain.

Her realization was actually accidental. We went for a vacation for a week & she forgot to carry her Ayurvedic Medicines - at the end of the week,
her knee pain had reduced considerably - we assumed it was because of
the vacation - but after week of coming back & restarting the Ayurvedic medicines, the pain came back. She's been off all Ayurvedic medicines for
a year now & her knee pain is almost fully gone.

Last edited by carboy : 20th September 2009 at 11:35.
carboy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks