Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2009, 22:45   #1
BANNED

Remedy for Arthritis

Hi,
My mother seems to have got early signs of arthritis in her knees and from the last 6 months her mobility has drastically reduced. Where she once used to walk 2-3 kms at a stretch she can now only do 0.5 kms before the pain in her knees becomes very painful which has naturally made her very upset and I am little worried. She is 57 now so it seems a little early for this.

I have taken her to the orthopedic regularly for checkups but he has prescribed some exercises and if the pain is severe some injections. She has been doing those leg exercises but the pain hasn't improved.
I recently read some advertisement in Readers Digest about Green Lipped mussel capsules for Arthritis and it searched on the net too and it seems to have some anti inflammatory qualities.

I would like to know if any here (Docs?) have seen it used anywhere effectively? They say over a period of several months of taking that the pain reduces and mobility comes back to normal but I am sceptical of these Ads.
Old 15th September 2009, 23:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

My friend's mother almost cries each and every time she has to sit or get up. She underwent two operations for replacement of knee. One operation per knee, but still she is suffering from pain. My maternal grand mother is also facing the same problem, but there is no hope for solutoin.
I read somewhere that applying some wild seed of some plant is useful but yet to figure out what. ( Its mostly wild seen of "EmLi", emli from that song "Emli khatte methe bear" )

I am also eagerly looking at some solution to this problem.
Old 15th September 2009, 23:33   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Imli is nothing but tamarind.

Zaks, Arthritis at 57 is not early for a woman. My mom has mild arthritis. Especially in her fingers.

What she does is to keep herself warm and go swimming regularly.

The above sentence sounds like a paradox but I've seen results. Since my mom started swimming, she has been much more comfortable with the pain. Also, at other times, if she is warm and well covered, the pain is much lesser.

If oyu stay near Jayanagar, then P M swimming centre has a Ladies only special batch from 6:45 - 7:45 in the evenings. They also have a learn to swim course for ladies. If your mom doesnt know how to swim, it's never too late to start.

My mom used to go to the gym regularly for close to 4 years but soon the joint pains got so bad it was a waste. She couldnt lift even basic weights, she couldnt cycle for long, walk for long, nothing. That is when the doc suggested swimming and *touch wood* it has worked to some extent.

BTW, my mom isnt even 50.
Old 16th September 2009, 01:29   #4
BHPian

zaks,

I know people who were actually put on penicillin for 15 yrs but what cured them was homoeopathy within 6 months. They take no medicines now and seem to be fully cured.
Old 16th September 2009, 01:53   #5
Senior - BHPian

My mom is also suffering from same problem and she is in her early 50's. She is perfectly fine goes for a walk and is pretty active. We consulted the doctor and he said its early sign of Arthritis in her knees. Doctor prescribed some medicines which include some tablets, vitamins and calcium pills too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentos View Post
zaks,

I know people who were actually put on penicillin for 15 yrs but what cured them was homoeopathy within 6 months. They take no medicines now and seem to be fully cured.
Can you tell us the Homeopathy medicine name ?
Old 17th September 2009, 11:46   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Imli is nothing but tamarind.

Zaks, Arthritis at 57 is not early for a woman. My mom has mild arthritis. Especially in her fingers.

What she does is to keep herself warm and go swimming regularly.

The above sentence sounds like a paradox but I've seen results. Since my mom started swimming, she has been much more comfortable with the pain. Also, at other times, if she is warm and well covered, the pain is much lesser.

If oyu stay near Jayanagar, then P M swimming centre has a Ladies only special batch from 6:45 - 7:45 in the evenings. They also have a learn to swim course for ladies. If your mom doesnt know how to swim, it's never too late to start.

My mom used to go to the gym regularly for close to 4 years but soon the joint pains got so bad it was a waste. She couldnt lift even basic weights, she couldnt cycle for long, walk for long, nothing. That is when the doc suggested swimming and *touch wood* it has worked to some extent.

BTW, my mom isnt even 50.
I do stay near Jayanagar but no, she knows no swimming and at this age I am not sure but will talk to her. She is taking some prescribed tablets but they are not helping.

Quote:
zaks,

Mostly these are not predictable so it might work for some and not for others, more of try and see kind.

Well, then I will get a dose of those Green lipped mussel caps and find out how it works, or wont work.
Old 17th September 2009, 13:37   #7
BANNED

My mom has been suffering for the last 15 years. She is now 60+ and last year she had to undergo a knee replacement surgery.

Now the other leg is paining and she is on medication again. She is consulting a ayurvedic doctor in Mumbai for now.

It was such an awesome site to see her walking without a walking stick after years of using one.

She even has mild osteoporosis and has been asked to take a Calcium injection every day. The name of the medicine to be injected starts with a "B" i have it written down somewhere but can't seem to find it now. It's by ranbaxy and she needs to take it for the next 6 months. :( This was told to me yesterday evening. I will be consulting a couple of doctors before we set her on this medication.

Is it alright to mention the doctor's name on here who prescribed the above treatment?
Old 17th September 2009, 13:43   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

@zaks --- My mom didnt know swimming until a year ago. She was also very hesitant to try it, but the pain was so much, she was ready to try anything.
Old 17th September 2009, 14:16   #9
BHPian

Also, I am sure that Bangalore has a Kottakal Arya Vaidya Sala. You could Google search for the nearest location.

This place essentially is an Ayurveda based pharmacy which like Homeopathy always has an in-house Practitioner who would prescribe medicines depending on the severity of the problem.

The normal prescription would be oils for massaging and Tonics (lehyams) for internal consumption.

Why don't you talk to them and see if they would be able to help in this scenario?
Old 17th September 2009, 15:39   #10
BHPian

Your Mom seems to be affected with Osteoarthritis of the knees. It is a degenarative disease. You can not not cure a disease like OA but you can keep it in control by the following:
i) Try weight reduction (if overweight)
ii) Do regular exercise as suggested by physician or physiotherapist

iii) Never bend the knees at an angle of less than 90 degree
iv) Also avoid undue stressing the injured knee

v) Use hot pack, pain relief gels, and Paracetamol tabs for pain. In extreme pain only try NSAID (after recommendation of your doctor)
vi) Your doctor can also prescribe Glucosamine+Chondroitin capsules. This may help to regenerate the damaged cartilage. Also, Sodium Hyaluronate injection given between the joints sometimes helps. However, the results with these vary. Some people get good result where as some none.
vi) Penicillin and Steroids work for Rheumatoid Arthritis not in OA.
vii) You can try any form of treatment for pain relief as long as you follow the first two points (most important).
viii) If nothing helps - total knee replacement is the last resort.

See this link for more details:
Osteoarthritis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by archat68 : 17th September 2009 at 15:41.
Old 17th September 2009, 20:30   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
My mother seems to have got early signs of arthritis in her knees and from the last 6 months her mobility has drastically reduced. Where she once used to walk 2-3 kms at a stretch she can now only do 0.5 kms before the pain in her knees becomes very painful which has naturally made her very upset and I am little worried. She is 57 now so it seems a little early for this.

I have taken her to the orthopedic regularly for checkups but he has prescribed some exercises and if the pain is severe some injections. She has been doing those leg exercises but the pain hasn't improved.
I recently read some advertisement in Readers Digest about Green Lipped mussel capsules for Arthritis and it searched on the net too and it seems to have some anti inflammatory qualities.
At 57 your mom isn't suffering from "early" arthritis, if anything in today's day and age it's rather late (No offense).

Arthritis is simply inflammation of the joints. Commonly affects the knee, elbows, wrist and back. It's more common in post-menopausal women.

The form of arthritis your mom seems to have is Osteoarthritis for which one of the major causes is age. Your doc however will elicit the exact cause etc.

Her doctor will confirm treatment, but it will resemble the following:
  1. Non Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs) - The common one is paracetamol (Crocin) but treating physician will use his discretion.
  2. Exercise - Many patients find things like yoga to be helpful. In cases of osteoarthritis the joint hurts the more it's used/abused. Hence exercising in the morning is important, as one will experience less pain.
  3. Supplements - Vitamins, glucosamine, chondrotin etc. again depending on the doc.
  4. Other drugs - depending on severity and cause steroids etc may be prescribed.
The only advice I can give you is that it's something she will have to live with, but it is manageable, and she will feel better with treatment.

Quote:
??? Please tell me for which type of arthritis was penicillin given for 15 years?

If it was an infection as penicillin would suggest, the arthritis would disappear post treatment.
Old 17th September 2009, 23:03   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
@zaks --- My mom didnt know swimming until a year ago. She was also very hesitant to try it, but the pain was so much, she was ready to try anything.
aqua aerobics. It helps because people can do all kinds of exercises while staying in water hence the weight on the knee is almost nil. increased mobility without strain on knee is also a psychological booster.

Aqua Aerobics - Water Aerobics Exercises
in addition to medication, doing something like this will definitely help.
Old 17th September 2009, 23:45   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post
??? Please tell me for which type of arthritis was penicillin given for 15 years?

If it was an infection as penicillin would suggest, the arthritis would disappear post treatment.
Penicillin was administered only for a few months but had been advised for 15 years. The brand was longacillin or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
Can you tell us the Homeopathy medicine name ?
Will ask and let you know

Last edited by Rehaan : 18th September 2009 at 15:53. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the MULTIQUOTE button instead of making multiple consecutive posts in the same thread. Thanks.
Old 18th September 2009, 20:58   #14
BHPian

[quote=DocG;1488387]
Non Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs) - The common one is paracetamol (Crocin) but treating physician will use his discretion.

Paracetamol is not an NSAID - in fact Paracetamol has almost no anti-inflammatory property. However it is the drug to be used as first choice in OA as it is comparatively safer than NSAIDS. Also, in OA the inflammation part is not that significant.
  1. Exercise - Many patients find things like yoga to be helpful. In cases of osteoarthritis the joint hurts the more it's used/abused. Hence exercising in the morning is important, as one will experience less pain.
The patient needs to do exercises regularly to keep the joints mobile and also to strengthen the muscles supporting the joints. Also in OA the pain is usually more marked in the morning and after any long period of inactivity. So early morning exercises may not be helpful to patients with acute OA. However, any exercise must be prescribed and supervised by the Physiotherapist or the doctor as any unsuitable exercise or wrongly performed exercise will do more harm to the joint.
  1. Other drugs - depending on severity and cause steroids etc may be prescribed.
Steroids are almost never prescribed in OA as there is very little inflammation in OA.

In Rhematoid arthritis Penicillin is sometimes given by rhematologists for long duration (sometimes for 3-4 years). But RA is different from OA as OA is a degenerative disease whereas RA is an autoimmune disorder.
/quote]

My clarifications are given in bold.
Old 18th September 2009, 22:17   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suren181 View Post
Also, I am sure that Bangalore has a Kottakal Arya Vaidya Sala. You could Google search for the nearest location.

This place essentially is an Ayurveda based pharmacy which like Homeopathy always has an in-house Practitioner who would prescribe medicines depending on the severity of the problem.

The normal prescription would be oils for massaging and Tonics (lehyams) for internal consumption.

Why don't you talk to them and see if they would be able to help in this scenario?
Bangalore indeed has Kottakal Arya Vaidya Sala. I know of 3 branches in Malleswaram, Indiranagar and Shivajinagar (near Bowring Hospital). But you should be ready for slow cure as that is the way Ayurveda works , but it works for most people. No side effects also. You can PM me for address and I can find out and let you know.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks