Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2009, 00:15   #1
BHPian

Is it Advertisements Vs Cricket ? poor quality coverage

I quit watching Ind Vs Pak cricket match, as the ESPN / STAR decided to push in Advertisements just when a catch is taken , or the stumps are broken.

So furious, I decide to write on the FEED BACK link on ESPN STAR. But I guess we guys must take it seriously, voice our feelings at a larger level. SET MAX, ESPN STAR and our own DD, the first ball of most overs are never shown live.

An example,

Manjurekar was explaining how Afridi's appeal for LBW againt Dhoni was turned down, as Dhoni got out that delivery.

Dhoni looks up after being given, the replay starts on TV and its cut off for an advertisement.

Nehra breaks the timbers for Yusuf, and bang an advertisement.
Old 27th September 2009, 01:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

Star used to be good. But probably after seeing what Setmax and DD were getting away with, Star also decided to start doing this. Frankly, the coverage is complete trash, with crap pre/post-match "discussions", cricket-illiterate women trying to converse with "gurus", astronomers trying to predict game outcomes (seriously, what the hell?) 5-ball overs, hyperactive or sleepy commentators and not to forget, the actual quality of the sport itself.

I've completely stopped watching TV for the last 3-4 years now, except for F1 races. Download a couple of TV shows whenever the eps are out, and everything else is ignored. I love my life!
Old 27th September 2009, 14:54   #3
BHPian

Good that you brought that up. I never expected such a low quality experience from ESPN-Star stable. They used to give us the best in class cricket viewing experience 3-4 years back. Oh yeah, Did'nt you hear that we renamed Star as "Starving" sports ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post

I've completely stopped watching TV for the last 3-4 years now, except for F1 races. Download a couple of TV shows whenever the eps are out, and everything else is ignored. I love my life!
I wish I could do that :(.
Old 28th September 2009, 11:56   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Don't you guys know that Star Sports has been rechristened to StarVED Sports? I am not much of a cricket guy, yet can make a solid judgement based on their shoddy F1 coverage (too many ad breaks + lousy commentary).

A Britisher friend of mine was down & we'd gone to a public F1 race screening. Before even the first round of pitstops came about, he had lost his cool. "HOW the hell do you guys even enjoy the race with so many breaks? This would be against the law in the UK."

He went on to give the example of Spain (IIRC, or some other European country) where the broadcaster cannot take an absolute ad break. Translated : Even at the time of an ad break (every 10 - 12 laps), the race is shown in a smaller window on the top left of the screen (like picture in picture).

In last evening's Singapore GP, I missed Barri's pitstop thanks to a commercial break. Been watching Star's coverage since a decade and I can confidently say that it is falling year by year. I'm willing to bet that they take atleast 25 commercial breaks from 1630 - 1930.
Old 28th September 2009, 12:00   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Don't you guys know that Star Sports has been rechristened to StarVED Sports? I am not much of a cricket guy, yet can make a solid judgement based on their shoddy F1 coverage (too many ad breaks + lousy commentary).

A Britisher friend of mine was down & we'd gone to a public F1 race screening. Before even the first round of pitstops came about, he had lost his cool. "HOW the hell do you guys even enjoy the race with so many breaks? This would be against the law in the UK."

He went on to give the example of Spain (IIRC, or some other European country) where the broadcaster cannot take an absolute ad break. Translated : Even at the time of an ad break (every 10 - 12 laps), the race is shown in a smaller window on the top left of the screen (like picture in picture).

In last evening's Singapore GP, I missed Barri's pitstop thanks to a commercial break. Been watching Star's coverage since a decade and I can confidently say that it is falling year by year. I'm willing to bet that they take atleast 25 commercial breaks from 1630 - 1930.

Well Said. My love of F1 is what keeps me glued to the horrible coverage and seriously substandard commentary.
Old 28th September 2009, 13:55   #6
Senior - BHPian

I have lost interest in most live telecasts except football because of the literal ad bombarding. You don't see more than 4 or 5 laps at a stretch for most races not to forget the 5 ball overs as part of the new live telecast rules. I am part of media and sell space myself but this is beyond any logic. Partially its because of the illogical bids which the channels have paid for the rights defying any business sense. Thank god I can watch 45 minutes of football peacefully with some decent commentary in most cases but for how long I don't know.
Old 28th September 2009, 14:30   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
.. astronomers trying to predict game outcomes
astrologers

The last match i watched on TV was when India beat Pakistan in T20 finale. Too bad, i don't get to watch F1 too, these days.
Old 28th September 2009, 14:50   #8
Senior - BHPian

LOL, my bad.

The only thing that makes me turn on the TV these days is F1 coverage. The moment I get a faster internet connection, I won't have a reason to ever turn it on. And to top off the horrible coverage of F1 races, we have to go through 2 hours of commentary by Steve Slater. The man makes elementary mistakes, speculates absolute bull-excreta, notices things about 30 seconds after they've happened, doesn't shut up when pit-to-car radio is being broadcasted, and says KERS energy reclamation system which irks me no end.
Old 28th September 2009, 14:59   #9
BHPian

+1 to that. It's time STAR replaced Steve Slater. He's pathetic.
Old 28th September 2009, 15:23   #10
BHPian

Any popular sports coverage in our country is pathetic. In fact the info-tech media as a whole is very bad. Broadcasting has to adhere to certain standards such as best standards employed by developed nations if not for newer innovations. Another example of poor coverage is the recent Mumbai terrorist attacks. I strongly feel mandatory Standards have to be employed by none other than Information Ministry which has too be adhered to by all media houses, but as we all know, no such drastic measures would be taken in the nearest future.
Old 28th September 2009, 15:52   #11
BHPian

The coverage of champions trophy is pathetic in terms of having higher numbers of advertisements in between overs. Star is now competent in cricket coverage only in the area of their commentators wing. I love to see cricket when commentatory is given by Harsha, Sunil Gavaskar, Ravi Shastry, Akram, etc.
Old 28th February 2010, 13:27   #12
BHPian

Split screen ads, during F1 races would be fantastic.

However, they would take that in Cricket to a new level. The entire match will be on a split screen. Between balls of the same over, you have a split screen ad on the bottom and left frame.

Bright colours , animated smyleys ! Mr. Modi and BCCI you guys are pushing broadcasters to limit.

Guess both are to blame. BCCI sells the rights at such high prices the broadcasters are forced to throw in so much adds to improve their profitability. They also understand BCCI needs money as long as they pay that they arent going to question them on the quality of broadcasts.
Old 1st March 2010, 15:41   #13
BANNED

The NEO cricket coverage during the recent Ind-SA ODI series was not upto the standard. Many fans had given their feedback on this to NEO on facebook. Hopefully they should improve. But it's really irritating when they cut a ball. I get the feeling of watching cricket in between ads. Hopefully we should not have this issue for IPL-3 coverage.
Old 1st March 2010, 16:20   #14
Senior - BHPian

Only in India do we have to pay to watch advertisements.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks