Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2009, 07:01   #16
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

the old silver parker which was made in the 1930's-1940's is a fine one.
i inherited one too. just keep it as a keep sake and use it once in a way.
certainly it is a valuable pen - after all it is made of silver - more than the silver, it is an antique or will become an antique shortly. lovely pens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Pen is mightier than sword; now public forums are?

I want to get a Mount Blanc one day. For now I do with a Parker; more into keyboard use and hence handwriting getting worse day by day.

I have couple of Sheaffer , Parkers, some from grand mom. I should have two Parker, once fountain and another a ball point, made of silver; maybe I will find it (should be up somewhere in my house) and post it. Would it be of any value?
Old 1st October 2009, 12:59   #17
BHPian

I currently use a Parker Frontier fountain pen.

I dont remember who gave it to me - I am sure I didnt buy that! My guess is that I got it as a gift from the phone co. or the bank, or possibly from my own company.

It suddenly surfaced one day when my wife was rearranging the cupboard - it was in the small locker in the cupboard among other small items like keys, etc. She handed it over to me and I had no cue how long its been lying there.

Anyway, I had to go out and buy ink ( I have not used a fountain pen for a good 15 years or so - I have been mostly into cheap ( real cheap ) ball pens, losing them regularly and replacing them.

Well, I realized that it was not that easy to get ink. Most smaller shops didnt have ink as there was no one to buy it. Eventually I got a bottle of Parker Quink black ink for 30 Rs or so. Filled the pen, and started using it. This was around two weeks back.

I have to admit that I have really rediscovered the joy of writing. Wow, what have I been missing! I suddenly started taking more notes in meetings, with colleagues looking over onto my pad and commenting "nice font!"

Back in school and college, Hero pens used to be the norm. And there were also some local makes in Kerala - two brands called Jubilee and Bismi. And of course Camlin too.

Chelpark ink and Bril ink, with a cloth to wipe out the leakages those local pens were famous for.

And the smell of ink when you put the nib close to your nose...

Last edited by Bigzero : 1st October 2009 at 13:02.
Old 1st October 2009, 14:22   #18
BHPian

I have using pelikan ink for my fountain pens and the flow quality and ink sticking to paper is excellent.
I suggest for pens like Parker,Sheaffer, Pelikan,Cross and all high end luxury pens for regular/dialy use u can go for pelikan,parker or sheaffer inks.As the ink is of high quality it wouldnt effect the mechanism,nib region of the pen.

Bhpians to make this thread more interesting plz post pictures of ur writing instruments , this act would keep up the spirits of writing instruments collectors or admirers.

Last edited by Rehaan : 1st October 2009 at 21:27. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the EDIT button to add to an existing post within 20 minutes instead of posting another consecutive post.
Old 22nd October 2009, 16:28   #19
BHPian

Hi all,
Last week i came across the Shop in Grey market in Bangalore where the owner was selling used second hand writing instruments.He had Sheaffers,Parker ,Waterman ,MountBlanc and many more...
How safe is it to buy from such people ? To my surprise he was giving the original gaurantee cards ,boxes and other accessories with the instruments.
Old 22nd October 2009, 16:54   #20
BANNED

I am an old lover of fountain pens. At present I have both Waterman & Schaeffer (classic). I look forward to the day when I get a Meisterstuck. I have used high end fountain pens since 1969 -Parkers (21, 51, 61, 75), Shaeffers (classics with the smooth integrate nib) and quite afew others.

One thing - get a gold nib and not a stainless nib. Also, go for medium point rather than fine point - writes far smoother.

Some time back I was at William Penn and saw a Japanese pen with a divine nib, but only cartridge filling. Do not remember its name.
Old 22nd October 2009, 17:14   #21
Team-BHP Support

This is what I've been using for last 15 years. Solid aluminium, bold nib, Rotring 600.

The Writing instruments thread-rotring.jpg
Old 22nd October 2009, 17:17   #22
Team-BHP Support

I had a fascination for "ink Cartridge" pens. When the cartridges used to run out, I used to fill them up with syringe.
I forgot the company name. My handwriting(which was no great shakes to begin with) has gone worse now. I have trouble signing checks now, its that bad!

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 22nd October 2009 at 17:19. Reason: spelling
Old 2nd December 2009, 18:46   #23
Senior - BHPian

Ahhh ...

I write only with fountain pens and pencils. These are the fountain pens I use:

1 black Sheaffer Prelude
1 silver Sheaffer Prelude
1 black Lamy Safari
1 blue Sheaffer Agio
1 blue Pelikan - cheap pen good for starting out
1 silver Sheaffer Triumph Imperial

Gunning for a Sailor ....
Old 2nd December 2009, 18:57   #24
BHPian

I was probably a school going boy when my grandfather gifted me 2 of his Sheaffer Fountain Pens which he had got from England in the 60's or the 70's. I distinctly remember one of the pens having a Golden nib.

Being a school going boy then, I didn't realise their value and used them in school. They leaked once or twice and decided to leave them at home in my cupboard and forgot about them. Several years later I understood what a Sheaffer was and frantically started to look for them.

As luck should have it, I haven't found them yet.

Truly didn't deserve them.

However on the bright side - My grandad was an automobile engineer and had a set of Rotring pens which he used for his drawings. Since I was grown up by the time I laid my hands on them, they are still preserved.

I miss the Sheaffers though!!
Old 18th December 2009, 10:42   #25
BHPian

Hi all,
Planning to upgrade from Parker Ballpoint to either Retro 51 or Lamy
I need advice on RETRO 51 ballpoint pens and LAMY Al Star Graphite RollerBall pen ,usage is going to be Daily.

Thanks
MSVG
Old 21st January 2010, 17:11   #26
BHPian

In my workplace ,to be specific in my department ,i was given a SENATOR BALL POINT Pen today as a New year Gift
Old 21st January 2010, 18:29   #27
BHPian

My favourite is the Uniball eye fine. But I keep losing it so dont have any emotional attachements yet.

I also use a Mont Blanc Fountain Pen - Meisterstuck when I go for a meeting and end up not using it at all !!! I prefer the Mont Blanc watch to their pen.

I also love those Rs.2 STIC ball pens you get from any shops by the roadside.I used to annoy my classmate with the tic-tac-tic-tac sound.

Seems one of our supplier offered Mont Blanc Star Walker to our purchasing manager as a New Year gift and poor soul could not take it citing company policy

Last edited by artofzen : 21st January 2010 at 18:34.
Old 22nd January 2010, 10:00   #28
Senior - BHPian

Current:Using a CROSS Medalist since 2005
Old 22nd January 2010, 10:15   #29
Senior - BHPian

I lose so many pens that inspite of a strong wish, I do not buy expensive pens. However, I have not used ball pens for so many years. I use Uniball/Pilot 1.0 point (thicker) as they suit me writing style better. If you like thicker points, try Uniball Gell Impact 1.0.

PS: I used to be complimented on my writing and its neatness, and these days, one writes a lot less (unless one is a student or in a government office).
Old 22nd January 2010, 10:39   #30
Senior - BHPian

I've ben carrying around a black parker for a long time (read 3 years) but now i've been bit by the upgrade bug.

However, given my tendency to lose things - I want to buy a pen but within a budget of Rs 500-700! What's the smartest one I can buy?

and something for which if I need to replace the refill - I dont have to drive around 20km, or pay more than 100 odd bucks

/or am I just asking too much.
//vasudeva ji, I am jealous! I'm a scribbler - used to be neat in school, now just quick n dirty

Most Viewed