Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2009, 13:12   #46
BANNED

AFAIK if the policy is older then 4 years, i.e. you have been paying the premium for >4 years Arthritis is covered. If not it is not. Check your policy statement for this.
Old 22nd October 2009, 13:13   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Another thing to note here is that Satyam does not pay the Insurance premium for the Employees dependent parents. My wife paid for it, since it was a group policy she got it at a lower rate.

Does it help to go with the IRDA-Ombudsmen way?

I know that 4k is not a huge amount. But still I can't sit down and take these things.
Matt, the way the policy works is similar in my case as well. The company doesnt pay for adding my parents as dependants, so its not your case alone.

I dont have much idea dealing with the IRDA-Ombudsman, so i'd rather not comment.

Personally, i would say its advisable to get this issue resolved at your company level itself.
Old 22nd October 2009, 13:22   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
AFAIK if the policy is older then 4 years, i.e. you have been paying the premium for >4 years Arthritis is covered. If not it is not. Check your policy statement for this.
Hmm, Looks like it's time to read the fine-printed policy statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Matt, the way the policy works is similar in my case as well. The company doesnt pay for adding my parents as dependants, so its not your case alone.

I dont have much idea dealing with the IRDA-Ombudsman, so i'd rather not comment.

Personally, i would say its advisable to get this issue resolved at your company level itself.
I was actually irritated by these, that's why I was thinking of that.
Anyway lets see if we can sort out with in company level.
Old 22nd October 2009, 13:37   #49
BANNED

The gusy who say arthritis does nto require hospitalisation have not heard of a certain Shri Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
Old 22nd October 2009, 15:27   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
The IT guy does not get the tax concessions like the doctor does.

IT guy here whose sister is a doctor.
IT guy gets his salary in cheque / EFT - and the entire amount needs to be accounted.

Doctors running private clinics / nursing homes get their fees in Cash - how much of it is accounted?
Old 22nd October 2009, 16:06   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuraliR View Post
Doctors running private clinics / nursing homes get their fees in Cash - how much of it is accounted?
Ah! But who looks at all that?!

A lot of people feel that is just return of investment, going by some of the responses.
Old 22nd October 2009, 16:26   #52
BANNED

There was a book in the US in the 1960's Insure and Die. Apparently the insurance industry saw to it that it was taken off the market, and (it is rumoured) destroyed all the unsold copies!
Old 24th October 2009, 13:02   #53
Senior - BHPian

There is a book called Vulture Culture. Bloomberg recently did a story on the unethical means insurance industry is adopting to block legitimate payments. Bloomberg was quite critical of Mckinsey and sort of blamed them for ushering in this new culture of how not to pay etc. Mckinsey of course declined to comment.
Old 24th October 2009, 13:57   #54
Senior - BHPian

talking about costly, My mothers treatment for cancer is just over, and calculated 11 lacs as the amount till date, and don't scold me, but no insurance.

This included 2 major surgeries and 9 chemotherapy cycles. Still 11 Lacs :(
Old 24th October 2009, 14:27   #55
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest you save up much more. No offence but cancer can bankrupt a family.

A cousin came down with blood cancer all at 21, then his mother had breast cancer the next year. Four years later he had a relapse. It has drained the finances of the whole extended family to a large extent, inspite of them having insurance and undergoing treatment at AIIMS!

The lesser said about charges at places like Rajiv Gandhi cancer instt, the lesser said the better!
Old 24th October 2009, 14:38   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I would suggest you save up much more. No offence but cancer can bankrupt a family.

A cousin came down with blood cancer all at 21, then his mother had breast cancer the next year. Four years later he had a relapse. It has drained the finances of the whole extended family to a large extent, inspite of them having insurance and undergoing treatment at AIIMS!

The lesser said about charges at places like Rajiv Gandhi cancer instt, the lesser said the better!
Yes sir, sadly I am aware of recurrence, which has highest chances in old ages, almost 100%
Old 24th October 2009, 14:38   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

If car insurers start to offer medical insurance will they start claiming, eg, heart does not last as long as rest of body, we only pay 50%; muscle parts 60%; bone parts 80%.

No wonder the world's insurers are keen to get into the Indian market: it can make up its own fiction to protect itself!

As for not insuring over 65 --- at 55 I was turned down because of an illness that was completely cured by surgery over ten years ago.
Old 24th October 2009, 23:53   #58
Senior - BHPian

A must read! it may save live and money of course :)

A must read..
Here is an incident, that i like to share.

Last year
my wife was pregnant with our first child. the whole time she was complaining about the pain in the stomach. We thought it was due to baby inside and the fact that we traveled a lot during that time and it might have complicated things.

January, Last week this year
The baby was delivered in Delhi, a normal delivery (without CS) considering the fact it was a complicated case and baby was quite large.

February, first week, this year
She still complained about the pains, we were all surprised. So we went for Ultrasound. And walla! stone was detected in Gal bladder, and to make the matter worst some of them passed on to CBD (common bile duct).

Fact
During the numerous US scan during pregnancy, radiologist just stuck her concentration to lower part and baby, despite the fact that wife was complaining to her doc and radiologist about the extreme pains she was encountering , and hence missed the stones completely.

The Solution:
I googled and asked few known for the best and nearby (important, as baby needed to be fed often due to his large size and huge diet ).
I short listed RG stone and kept Jaipur Golden as a no.2 option. Both were nearby.

The RG Stone
They charged 500 straight away for a nicely printed file and some papers without even meeting the doctor. As always, being DIY curious guy I started poking the doc with the problems in question, comprehensively. And he told me that the operations will be in two stage 36 hours apart.

Now this is the best part,
During the course of conversation, he became good friend with me, and he told me, (as i am good with getting deepest of info) the first part will be done in Jaipur Golden, as his (shinny hospital) is not equipped with the expensive machinery for the ERCP (or ERPC). and he will charge me for the ambulance service for taking my wife there some four blocks or so away.). in the process he also happened to tell me that Dr. Khurana is the only and best ERCP operator in whole of north delhi.
Asking for the total estimate, His accountant gave me a rough estimate of 1.10lac to 1.35 lac for 10-15 days stay at his glittering hospital

Solution:
As being fastest decision maker, i drove straight to Jaipur Golden, met Dr.Demla, a veteran. And found him to be a good family friend of some of my in-laws. he started the process right away with, whole lot of tests, At first i was skeptical, this dude ordering whole new sets of test, which i had paid three days back, somewhere else.
This was found to be a rightful decision from a veteran, as in the US scan the CBD had cleared itself of stones (probably due to medication), and only nominal fragment was there. He asked me about the ERCP, and i told him to go ahead anyway, just to be sure about future, 'kaun hospital bar-bar ayega'.
he did the first operation right away and the second the following day. 5th day we were home, this is very important as she needed to feed the 15 days old baby constantly and oftenly.
Total Bill: Rs.55,000 (everything included, med, tests, deluxe single patient room)

Conclusion/Lesson Learnt:
Always have second opinion. Glittery hospital always never means they are best with all the facilities.

Last edited by SirAlec : 24th October 2009 at 23:56.
Old 26th October 2009, 20:49   #59
BHPian

Now some news from US : Healthcare system wastes up to $800 billion a year | U.S. | Reuters
Old 26th October 2009, 22:23   #60
Senior - BHPian

^^ Wow! Now the beautiful bureaucrats of our nation will go all out to keep the health an "industry"!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks