Senior - BHPian

Re: A guide : Eating out in Kerala

Kottayam goes finger lickin' good from 30th Dec @ Kanjikuzhy
Old 4th January 2013, 09:12   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post
Any one tried Villamaya @ West fort Trivandrum ?
Villa Maya is simply outstanding . Excellent ambience - trust Muthoot Group with that ! The menu is ala-carte serving kerala, middle eastern and continental cusine. Pricing is just about right. Not too premium - to give a rough idea, a soup would cost 150/- and a meal (eg: steak) would be around 450/-. The presentation is simply great. Been there about 3 times now in a span of 2 months.

Recently stopped for dinner at the Kuttanad restarant about mid way at the Allepey - Changanassery bypass. It was awesome. Pearl spot, prawns, and their "Special Parotta" would make you drive till there any time you take the MC Road or the NH.

Last edited by kutts : 4th January 2013 at 09:20.
Old 5th January 2013, 09:07   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutts View Post
Recently stopped for dinner at the Kuttanad restarant about mid way at the Allepey - Changanassery bypass. It was awesome. Pearl spot, prawns, and their "Special Parotta" would make you drive till there any time you take the MC Road or the NH.
Are you talking about the Perunna-Allepey road while coming from MC road? If so, can you name the exact location of this hotel? And is it on the road side or do we need to take a diversion from it? I'm familiar till "Ramankary" while coming from Perunna side. Also is the ambience good enough for a family dine-in?
Old 6th January 2013, 00:48   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
Are you talking about the Perunna-Allepey road while coming from MC road? If so, can you name the exact location of this hotel? And is it on the road side or do we need to take a diversion from it? I'm familiar till "Ramankary" while coming from Perunna side. Also is the ambience good enough for a family dine-in?
Yes, it is. Precisely 9° 26' 4" N, 76° 25' 29" E if you have GPS. It is on the right side when you are driving from Perunna to Allepey on the main road itself. About 2-3 km after the Contour Resort. There are two Kuttanad restaurants, both side by side. The first one you see while coming from Perunna is a toddy shop cum restaurant. It is the next one beside it that I have recommended. I went with family and no problems observed by wifey or in-laws . Non A/C , standard restaurant with basic amenities.
Old 7th January 2013, 13:15   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutts View Post
Precisely 9° 26' 4" N, 76° 25' 29" E if you have GPS.
Thanks for the pointers Kutts. The name of the location is "Mankombu". It has already been tried. Couple of my friends were travelling from Tvm to Aluva yesterday and since they were taking this route, I suggested them this hotel and they really liked the food there. They had meals, prawns roast, Karimeen pollichathu, and some knick knacks like water, ice-cream etc., and they bill came to 390/-. Pretty value for money and tasty, according to them. Should try this next time I am in Kerala and visiting my mom's native place, which is close by.
Old 7th January 2013, 19:16   #171
BHPian

Had recently been to this place called "Go Parathas" in Kochi. It is located on A M Thomas road, near Pallimukku Junction. This is the perhaps the first of its kind, here in Kochi. The menu has many delicious varieties (I counted around 40) of parathas at very reasonable rates. So if you are in the mood for some authentic North Indian food or just tired of the regular places, I'd highly recommend this one.
Old 7th January 2013, 20:05   #172
BHPian

A couple of decades back, I used to frequent the Ceylon Bake House opposite Woodlands at Ernakulam. I am aware of the new one after Jos Junction and also the branch at Broadway after Paico, but is the original one opposite Woodlands still around??? Also is the food still good there? .

And has Mcdonald opened finally at Kochi???

By the way another long time favourite was Sapphire at Jos Junction next to Ensign agencies. A couple of years back revisited the place after more than a decade and the food is still good. Now they have an Air Conditioned family section upstairs.

Last edited by TKMCE : 7th January 2013 at 20:06.
Old 7th January 2013, 23:20   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKMCE View Post
There's one in the Lulu mall which will be open sometime in the next 2 months.
Old 10th January 2013, 15:38   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Speaking of Trivandrum, there used to be "Kalavara" on the governemnt press road after Statue, next to PAICO. Is this place still running?? Good to see Trivandrum Hotel restarting although now apparently as an upmarket option.
The Kalavara next to Paico has been closed for a while now, it was later taken over by Azad, I guess, but I never went there since.

Kalavara still operates at Kowdiar, it's behind TTC, near Fabindia.
Quote:
Also miss the "chilly parottas" at Arul Jyothi at Statue. Dont know whether they serve the stuff anymore.
Yes, they do! Had it last week even
Old 11th January 2013, 08:27   #175
Senior - BHPian

joints in and around technopark,TVM

Any one tried any mexican dishes from Cactus the so called Mexican cusine joint @ Thejaswini building technopark ?

Also the Dosa plaza is now open at Leela building (12th floor) Technopark,TVM.

http://www.dosaplaza.com/
Old 11th January 2013, 09:15   #176
Team-BHP Support

During my recent visit to Kerala, visited a couple of restaurants in Kochi.

1) Gokul Oottupura, Edapally (Breakfast)
Accidently saw this place while driving to my mother-in-law’s place, and remembered seeing the name in the NDTV show. Visited the place next day morning; service was excellent, food was decent but not as much as I expected (probably high expectations due to the praises from the NDTV show hosts).

2) Tandoor (Dinner)
Wifey’s friends recommended this place. Except for the copper cutleries, nothing fancy about the place. Food was an overload of spices, and extremely pricey. The service was decent, and parking was easy as well. The place was really packed though, probably due to the celebrity connection (owned by small-time actor Krishna)
Old 11th January 2013, 10:04   #177
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
There's one in the Lulu mall which will be open sometime in the next 2 months.
There's one at Lulu which will open in a month and another outlet opposite Wills lifestyle showroom MG road.
Old 12th January 2013, 19:52   #178
BHPian

Went to "Chak De" at Kochi, adjacent to Oberon Mall at Edapally. Food is good, Chicken Biriyani at 130 Rs had 3 decent pieces and adequate rice and was not overly spicy and served with a bowl of raita and 2 papads. Steamed Rice at 80 Rs was welll steamd rice but again quantity was good as was Chicekn Tikka Masala at 195 Rs which was easily enough for two with solid pieces. For the ambience and service it is worth the money. Asked for a cold bottled water and they served a one litre bottle really cold... Meal for two came to 450 Rs and my kiddo - with a giant appetite ended the meal very contented.. normally he insists on freaking out at KFC but this time I wanted a change of scene and it worked.!!! Apparently the restaurant has a good value north Indian Non Veg Thali for around 130 Rs but it is on weekdays. Also one of the restaurants inside Oberon is offering a buffet for 200 Rs per person for lunch and 250 for dinner.. will try that out next time.
Old 12th January 2013, 22:38   #179
Senior - BHPian

130, 450 and 200!!! Today I had renewed my nostalgia. 3 cup rice, 2 aloo paratha, 1 bindi pyaz, 1 dal fry and 1 sweet lassi all for just Rs 120/-. All mouthwatering stuff.

I've had so called 'asli' Punjabi from an overpriced restaurant at Mount Road, Chennai. But, I rate the Punjabi Dhaba at Broadway, Cochin, to be better. If lucky, you get to meet some Punjabi kudis too! The price has not changed from the past few years. The quantity may not be extravagant, but just enough to fill your stomach and tickle your Punjabi taste buds. We were two. And beware, it is a small joint. Space is at a premium. And parking on the street too. Best to park your vehicle in the GCDA parking slots. The name 'broadway' is literally contrasting.

Bottom line : don't go if you hate Punjabi food or you are looking for a Maharaja experience. Otherwise, highly recommended. (I'm a fan of most Punjabi..kudi's including) Don't stone me for the lack of space in and around though. I don't care about space, considering the food they serve at that cost.
Old 13th January 2013, 19:40   #180
BHPian

Kerala is gtting expensive by the day for eating out The day before I went to Chak De, I took out a very oridinary Chicken Biriyani parcel from a hotel next to KIMS hospital (near Reliance Fresh/ Megamart) after Kalamassery. If I had to pay 90 Rs for that stuff,, then 130 at Chak De is a huge bargain.........

Most Viewed