Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2013, 13:08   #181
Senior - BHPian

Re: A guide : Eating out in Kerala

@thoma, you should try mirch masala. it has a different style, even though it is punjabi and veg restaurant. The lassi may not be as good as broadway's but most of their curries and patrathas are excellent.
Old 14th January 2013, 13:24   #182
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKMCE View Post
Kerala is gtting expensive by the day for eating out The day before I went to Chak De, I took out a very oridinary Chicken Biriyani parcel from a hotel next to KIMS hospital (near Reliance Fresh/ Megamart) after Kalamassery. If I had to pay 90 Rs for that stuff,, then 130 at Chak De is a huge bargain.........
80-90 is the standard rate now here in Cochin. Chak De is pretty reasonable since I find it very tasty. This is the preferred spot for me during weekends as they have a stall at Gold Souk food court. I usually have the same combo every week. And now since I'm a regular customer every Sunday, they manage to add that 'extra' spice and good pieces of Kababs.

Stopped Modjo few months back as it's not worth spending 150 for that small burger.
Old 14th January 2013, 13:39   #183
Senior - BHPian

Any one tried Indian Wok, Thrissur ?
Old 14th January 2013, 14:02   #184
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post
Any one tried Indian Wok, Thrissur ?
I went there once, but did not really try the food. Couple of weeks back, went there for dinner after a visit to the Fab India next door. The place looked nice and promising from the outside, but I was not really impressed with the Menu and the overall ambience. Looked like they wanted to make the place a fine dining place, but not quite there.

My mom and wife were still keen to go in, and we got seated in a corner room, and then noticed a few mosquitoes around. When I mentioned this, the waiter said there should not be any mosquitoes. Thanked them, left the place and went to the restaurant in Lulu Convention Centre.
Old 14th January 2013, 14:51   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I went there once, but did not really try the food. Couple of weeks back, went there for dinner after a visit to the Fab India next door. The place looked nice and promising from the outside, but I was not really impressed with the Menu and the overall ambience. Looked like they wanted to make the place a fine dining place, but not quite there.

My mom and wife were still keen to go in, and we got seated in a corner room, and then noticed a few mosquitoes around. When I mentioned this, the waiter said there should not be any mosquitoes. Thanked them, left the place and went to the restaurant in Lulu Convention Centre.
I love the buffet @ Lulu , I rate it as best at Thrissur. really awsome.

Indian Wok, i am yet to try.

The coffe shop above Attica which is now named Tonnico is not doing all that great as before. Its high time to rennovate.
Old 14th January 2013, 15:04   #186
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I love the buffet @ Lulu , I rate it as best at Thrissur. really awsome.
Indeed! And to add on, there is ample parking, friendly staff, options to keep the kids entertained, and a bit of local celebrity spotting

This time there was no buffet though. For the service and quality, I found the prices very reasonable.
Old 14th January 2013, 15:23   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Indeed! And to add on, there is ample parking, friendly staff, options to keep the kids entertained, and a bit of local celebrity spotting

This time there was no buffet though. For the service and quality, I found the prices very reasonable.
You said it , To add on I especially love the nights at Lulu. Hospitality is top Notch and the crowd is less.
Old 14th January 2013, 17:24   #188
BHPian

Quote:

Indian Wok, i am yet to try.
I have been to Indian wok a few months back, after a visit to fabmart. The food was Ok, but didn't like their service standards. The waiters are armed with tablets etc to collect your order, but somehow overall give you the impression that you are unwelcome at the place.

It indeed looks like they are trying to convert it to a fine dining place, but have a long way to go, and hope they do.
Old 20th January 2013, 12:28   #189
Senior - BHPian

Biriyani chaai @ Buhari (Trivandrum) is a must try.
Old 20th January 2013, 20:52   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Biriyani chaai @ Buhari (Trivandrum) is a must try.
Never had it. Will try it out and let you know. Had Milk Sarbath from Buhari ?
Old 20th January 2013, 21:04   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil_rpmlover View Post
Never had it. Will try it out and let you know. Had Milk Sarbath from Buhari ?
I tried it in the wee hours of last night, what I understood is pista/vanilla flavored sugared milk topped up with sugarless strong tea and I liked it. It is served in normal cahaai glass
Old 20th January 2013, 21:11   #192
BHPian

Quote:
I tried it in the wee hours of last night, what I understood is pista/vanilla flavored sugared milk topped up with sugarless strong tea and I liked it. It is served in normal cahaai glass
Btw, Which one are you talking about? The biriyani one right ? Then, why the name Biriyani ?

Last edited by akhil_rpmlover : 20th January 2013 at 21:17.
Old 20th January 2013, 21:16   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
I've had so called 'asli' Punjabi from an overpriced restaurant at Mount Road, Chennai. But, I rate the Punjabi Dhaba at Broadway, Cochin, to be better.

Bottom line : don't go if you hate Punjabi food or you are looking for a Maharaja experience.

Otherwise, highly recommended. I don't care about space, considering the food they serve at that cost.
True. Been going there since the late 80's. I like their roti and dal fry ( with a pat of butter)
Old 20th January 2013, 21:29   #194
BHPian

A place I've been to, three times in the last year and a half, is an evening eatery in Alleppy.
I do not know how to describe the exact location.... You come onto the highway from the Changancherry- Alappuzha road and turn right for the town. There is the first turn left for the heavy vehicles to bypass the town. A short length, maybe 50 or 70 mtrs, ahead and almost opposite to the Toddy Tappers union office ( which is on the left side), there is a small place that serves dosas, porotta and fried chicken, plus. Chutney, beef etc. I'd vouch for the chicken. They claim to marinate it in the late afternoon. Pricy at 40 bucks odd for a piece, but tasty. I've had these things on the road at various places, including varieties at what one may call snob joints. I mention this place because they marinate it well ahead, and it shows.
Old 20th January 2013, 21:29   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil_rpmlover View Post
Btw, Which one are you talking about? The biriyani one right ? Then, why the name Biriyani ?
Sorry for the confusion, the assortment of flavored milk topped up with tea is called biriyani chaai

Most Viewed