Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2012, 15:40   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: A guide : Eating out in Kerala

Had a chit chat with a local person from Trivandrum who has serverd as watch man in All spice Restaurant/Bakery.

He loves that place because the All spice people will not carry forward previous days food to ensure that the customers get really fresh food thus the excess food will be shared by the EOD.

I have been to there many times and I really love that place. Only problem is with the parking and the seat availiability.

The food stuff is excellent smoothies are my favorite. hey accept Sodexo coupons too .
Old 26th June 2012, 17:26   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
You may try the ethnic menu at Trivandrum Hotel at Statue or the buffet menu at Windsor Rajadhani as mentioned in few posts above. Not much more idea on fish.
Thanks a lot thoma.

I have visited Trivandrum and Buhari during my last visit as i stay near Statue.

I will visit Zam Zam for sure as i have been hearing good reviews.

Waseem.
Old 26th June 2012, 20:24   #123
Senior - BHPian

Try 'Flavors' near Womens College at Trivandrum.
Old 26th June 2012, 23:26   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Thanks a lot thoma.

I have visited Trivandrum and Buhari during my last visit as i stay near Statue.

I will visit Zam Zam for sure as i have been hearing good reviews.

Waseem.
Hey Waseem,

Here are few suggestions.

1) Sagara Restaurant (Location: Vazhuthacaud, Ground floor of the building just near the BP petrol pump in the junction). Ambiance=3/10
2) Try out "Neymeen Pollichathu" (Seer fish baked/stemed in plaintain leaf) from Kerala Hotel, tucked in the lane leading to General Hospital Junction from Statue junction. Ambiance=4/10
3) Varnam restaurant near RBI Regional branch, Bakery Junction. They have a whole lot of fish on their menu, pretty decent. Ambiance=4/10
4) If you have not tried yet, do try the Kethal's Chicken (Rahmaniya Hotel). The restaurant is tucked in one of the busiest market in tvm, I would recommend you buy parcel from their parcel counter open at Attakkulangara junction. Their speciality is Chapathi and Kethal's chicken (fried small tender chicken pieces)
5) You should try Appam + Chicken stew combination at Flavors, Vazhuthacaud. It's one of my favourite. Ambiance=6.5/10. Their Burgers are also pretty decent. Ambrosia Bakery is no more what it used to be, we avoid it as much as we can nowadays.
6) Mubarak hotel inside Chala market, I've not tried it yet but have heard rave reviews about their Prawns fry. Ambiance should be around 2/10
7) If you want to try some non-veg dosa variety, I would suggest "Kothu Kozhi dosa" or "Chilly chicken Dosa" from Azad AC restaurant in Vazhuthacaud, it's bang opposite to the Sagara hotel mentioned in 1). Ambiance is 6/10. Please note that I am talking about the AC one, there is a non-AC one 2 buildings away.

Will add more if I get reminded of more, Enjoy your stay.

Cheers,
Jay
Old 28th June 2012, 13:13   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
Hey Waseem,

2) Try out "Neymeen Pollichathu" (Seer fish baked/stemed in plaintain leaf) from Kerala Hotel, tucked in the lane leading to General Hospital Junction from Statue junction. Ambiance=4/10
Thanks .

I had Neymeen Pollichathu during my last visit couple of months back, i stay at Mayura Rajdhani and this place is just a stones throw away.

I had been to New Mubarak, near statue and old mubarak, challa market on Tuesday evening for dinner and found them closed.I was told that they do business only during day time.

I will visit Varnam restaurant for dinner tonight.
Old 28th June 2012, 16:40   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Heard from some one which I don't remember that its owned by a fellow bhpian. is that true ?
Old 29th June 2012, 09:34   #127
BHPian

For cakes, chocolates & homemade snacks, i would suggest Square One Homemade Treats, near Ariya Jyothi, Pattom.

Their cakes are my favourite.
Old 29th June 2012, 12:34   #128
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Please let me know the best place in Trivandum to buy Banana & Jackfruit Chips.

Waseem.
Old 29th June 2012, 13:43   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

Waseem.
If you are going by Auto, get down before East Fort bus stand, you should as for Pazhavangadi Ganapathy Temple. Go inside the lane just adjacent to the temple and about 100 mtrs into the lane, you will see a 'Maha Chips' store. You will get all kind of chips inside. They are pretty good. Alternative options
1) Numerous shops on sides of the road leading to the Padmanabha Swamy temple from East Fort
2) Handful of shops on the sides of the road leading to Passport office from Kaithamukku.

Also try the sweet banana chips, will be good. And whenever you get time, please put up a review of the hotels you tried out this time around and how they fared. Would like to read how they are now.
Old 17th July 2012, 13:18   #130
Senior - BHPian

A very sad news

Kerala Local News | Thiruvananthapuram | Local News=@@@

Hotel Management Graduate died due to Food poisoning and around 10 people hospitalised due to same reason.

Govt. officials closes down the hotel (Salwa dine - Sasthamangalam,Trivandrum)
Old 17th July 2012, 14:51   #131
Senior - BHPian

Re: A very sad news

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post
Hotel Management Graduate died due to Food poisoning and around 10 people hospitalised due to same reason.

Govt. officials closes down the hotel (Salwa dine - Sasthamangalam,Trivandrum)
Foby, it isn't Salwa Dine, Sasthamangalam. Its Salwa Cafe, Vazhuthacaud. Yes, they closed down all the restos under their management.

Actor Thilakan's son Shobi Thilakan and family is also hospitalized for food poisoning after having Shawarma from the same hotel.

Gives me shivers as it was my regular evening diner. Thank god I was spared.
Old 17th July 2012, 15:02   #132
Senior - BHPian

Death due to food poisoning from a hotel in the city? My God! I know food poisoning could kill and that there were incidents of minor food poisoning from different restaurants, but this news, of a death, is shocking and alarming. I have taken friends and family to their vazhuthacadu outlet many a times and had enjoyed their food then! Even the shawarma, which is made outside, was poisoned? So I guess it was the meat?
Old 17th July 2012, 15:19   #133
Senior - BHPian

Re: A very sad news

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorcher View Post
Foby, it isn't Salwa Dine, Sasthamangalam. Its Salwa Cafe, Vazhuthacaud. Yes, they closed down all the restos under their management.

Actor Thilakan's son Shobi Thilakan and family is also hospitalized for food poisoning after having Shawarma from the same hotel.

Gives me shivers as it was my regular evening diner. Thank god I was spared.
Yeah the both are under same management. any more idea about the culprit ? was that the chicken/meat in side the shawarma ?
Old 17th July 2012, 15:22   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

Waseem.
If you want to try out chips with unique taste, go to Aryasala junction ( near thambanoor ), take the small road ( cross cut ) to chalai from there. After around 100 meters, you will find a small shop named Ayyapan's sweet stall. Banana chips from there is of unique taste. You will just fall addicted to it. ( The difference in taste is due to a special variety of banana, the timing at which it is chosen to be fried and the oil ( it's not coconut oil ) used ) . These chips have conquered my taste buds when I was 4 years old. Even now, at the age of 30, it still continues to be my favourite banana chips.
Old 23rd July 2012, 01:40   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

Waseem.
Go near secretriate in the afternoon(to avoid getting caught in clash between pilice and strikers).From the north gate go near the anex building.In the corner you can find a cartwalah making banana, tapioca & jackfruit chips in coconut oil.Other option is "Maha chips" near pazavangadi near Kizkekota.From Ganapathi temple side go inside the lane and cross "ramachandran textiles" ,you will find it on the left side.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks