Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2008, 17:14   #16
BHPian

Firstly I suppose the last date of filing is 31st of july and not 30th. Secondly for e-filing i used this new site from taxsmile. It is pretty simple and well constructed site. For e-filing the charge is 140 Rs on the otherhand if did a filing thru a consultant then they charge anywhere between 250 to 300 Rs. The charge of 140 Rs can be paid thru credit or debit card, security i guess is taken care since this is a site recomended by my company. Simple steps

1. Fill in all your details as mentioned in form 16 and submit entries.
2. You will get the ITR1 or ITR2 document thru mail in 2 working days.
3. Hand it over in the taxsmile helpdesk or drop box and they will take care of the rest.

check out Online Tax filing | E-file taxes with complete guidance | Taxsmile.com (I) Pvt. Ltd.. Better to call up their customer care once and check out the entire procedure to be on the safer side
Old 30th July 2008, 17:41   #17
Senior - BHPian

Taxsmile is a rip-off if you dont have any other sources of income other than salary

1. You can download the excel sheet utility provided by I-T department https://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in...ividual_huf.do and then fill in the details from the form 16.

2. This excel sheet utility can generate the xml document, which is then uploaded onto the I-T department website (https://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/portal/login.do) using the "submit return" option.

3. Once submitted, You will get an acknowledgement form (in pdf format) - take 2 print outs, sign them both, Submit one copy and get the other copy stamped at the nearest I-T office.

4. DONE. Its that simple!!,

and I dont see why we need to pay Rs 140 for all this. Probably for the transporting your acknowledgement form to the nearest I-T office and getting it stamped !!

PS: I used Taxsmile last year and they didnt even bother to pick up my acknowledgement form to get it stamped. So this year, I was a bit wiser.

Last edited by spadival : 30th July 2008 at 17:51.
Old 30th July 2008, 17:44   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Shucks, I filed my return using their website last Saturday, but I did not know that I needed to take a printout and get their signature within 15 days.
What happens if I don't go to get their signature?
I think I read somewhere that the tax filing is not complete unless we submit the ITR-V at the local IT office and it should be submitted within 15 days. Else we need to e-file again and submit the new ITR-V that is sent to our email id.
Old 30th July 2008, 18:38   #19
Senior - BHPian

Rotor, this year I tried e-filing through Taxsmile.com, a very user-friendly website, but they charged me Rs.250/- for efiling the Returns, I guess you got a discount coz your Company had tied-up with Taxsmile.

Did you receive your ITR-V form?
If so, how do you plan to get it stamped by IT office?

As per Taxsmile, we can sign & send 2 copies of ITR-V to their Helpdesk, they will get it stamped at IT office & send you the same by normal post.
And for this, Tax Smile again charge Rs.150/-.

But, as Spadival's experience last year, there is no guarantee Tas smile will do that & we may have to run around tracing our ITR-V forms.

Hence, I am planning to visit the IT office and get the ITR-V form stamped.
Let me know your thoughts.

Last edited by finneyp : 30th July 2008 at 18:39.
Old 30th July 2008, 20:08   #20
BHPian

For employed professionals e-filing is not so tough. I goofed up and again resubmitted the ITR-2 for myself. The whole thing took around 30 mins. ITR-1 is still more easier ( I completed it for my better half in 10 mins ).

Now got to take this to the IT-Office at HMT Building near Mekhri Circle. Last year it was there where I submitted. Guys , do you know of any offices ?.
Old 31st July 2008, 10:14   #21
Team-BHP Support

I filed my returns using e-Filing this year. Was a very simple process, and along with a couple of friends, persuaded and helped a lot of fellow colleagues to submit their returns electronically.

Once the return has been filed, one gets an acknowledgement in the email id provided. This needs to be printed (2 copies). To get the final stamping done on the acknowledgement (ITR-V) it is not necessary that one has to personally go and get the stamping done. One person can collect all the ITR-V for a group, and go and get the stamping done. There is no verfication of any sort for the stamping.

If not as mentioned above, one can also hand over the ITR-V copies to some agents (eg. Les Concergies in my company)who would get the stamping done for Rs.100/-.
Old 31st July 2008, 10:45   #22
Senior - BHPian

Well if one has to goto the IT office for the final stamping, whats wrong in carrying the ITR form with the acknowledgement and submitting physically.

You get the stamped acknowledgement. I dont understand how the e-filing helps here.
Old 31st July 2008, 10:47   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Rotor, this year I tried e-filing through Taxsmile.com, a very user-friendly website, but they charged me Rs.250/- for efiling the Returns, I guess you got a discount coz your Company had tied-up with Taxsmile.

Did you receive your ITR-V form?
If so, how do you plan to get it stamped by IT office?

As per Taxsmile, we can sign & send 2 copies of ITR-V to their Helpdesk, they will get it stamped at IT office & send you the same by normal post.
And for this, Tax Smile again charge Rs.150/-.

But, as Spadival's experience last year, there is no guarantee Tas smile will do that & we may have to run around tracing our ITR-V forms.

Hence, I am planning to visit the IT office and get the ITR-V form stamped.
Let me know your thoughts.
Hi finneyp, like spadi said looks these guys are ripping off people filing taxes individually. I guess I got it cheaper because of corporate tie up. The executive told me that we need to submit the ITR-V at their helpdesk and they will take care of the rest and they didnt mention anything about charging 150 more for getting it stamped from the IT office. Kindly do speak to an executive there to clarify on this coz if you had to do it thru a CA , he'd probably charge you only around 300 bucks for the whole thing.

I was supposed to get my ITR-V by mail yesterday but havent recieved it yet. I m trying to get in touch with an assigned contact person, but her phone seems to be busy all the time, (may be all those filed thru taxsmile are calling her up for some issue or the other). Looking at all this , i suppose once you recieve your ITR kindly take it personally to the IT office and get it stamped. Somehow this taxsmile thing doesnt seem appealing anymore. I'd probably do the same.
Old 31st July 2008, 11:54   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I filed my returns using e-Filing this year. Was a very simple process, and along with a couple of friends, persuaded and helped a lot of fellow colleagues to submit their returns electronically.

Once the return has been filed, one gets an acknowledgement in the email id provided. This needs to be printed (2 copies). To get the final stamping done on the acknowledgement (ITR-V) it is not necessary that one has to personally go and get the stamping done. One person can collect all the ITR-V for a group, and go and get the stamping done. There is no verfication of any sort for the stamping.

If not as mentioned above, one can also hand over the ITR-V copies to some agents (eg. Les Concergies in my company)who would get the stamping done for Rs.100/-.
Benny, even I filed my return electronically last Friday. But nowhere did I see a mention that I'd need to take a print of the pdf form attached to the email, and get it signed at the Income Tax office. Even the paper ad in TOI yesterday does not mention of this. Where did you guys get this info from?

Edit: Sorry, my mistake. I just read the email I got with the ack pdf form, and it does say "Please submit the signed form to the nearest IT center and receive an acknowledgement form".
What did I gain in the process? I might as well could have submitted the ITR-V in physical form! Perhaps the queue will be less for eFiling acknowldgments. God Knows!

Last edited by vnabhi : 31st July 2008 at 11:58.
Old 31st July 2008, 12:18   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Well if one has to goto the IT office for the final stamping, whats wrong in carrying the ITR form with the acknowledgement and submitting physically.

You get the stamped acknowledgement. I dont understand how the e-filing helps here.
Right! Even I felt this e-filing is a joke!
I thought by eFiling we file all our IT Returns online & the IT dept will send the Acknowldgement by mail.
Now, we file our Returns online, they mail us the ITR-V form, we have to then take a print, sign it & take it to the IT office for stamping!
The whole purpose of Efiling is lost!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
Looking at all this , i suppose once you recieve your ITR kindly take it personally to the IT office and get it stamped. Somehow this taxsmile thing doesnt seem appealing anymore. I'd probably do the same.
Yes, that will be the Best bet!
Taxsmile believes in 'make hay when the sun shines'!

This was the first time I eFiled my Returns & this will be last time too unless they revise the procedure for stamping the ITR-V form at IT office.

Last edited by finneyp : 31st July 2008 at 12:19.
Old 31st July 2008, 12:31   #26
BHPian

I have e-filed my returns and got my ITR-V which is kind of acknowledgment (?). Can I have it acknowledged after July, since I have anyway filed my returns ?? ;-). .
Old 31st July 2008, 13:33   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by santhosh_kumard View Post
I have e-filed my returns and got my ITR-V which is kind of acknowledgment (?). Can I have it acknowledged after July, since I have anyway filed my returns ?? ;-).
From the date when you have filed ypur return online, you have 15 days from then to get the acknowledgement stamped. Also, you neednt go and get it done in person. Even your office boy can get that done for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Edit: Sorry, my mistake. I just read the email I got with the ack pdf form, and it does say "Please submit the signed form to the nearest IT center and receive an acknowledgement form".
What did I gain in the process? I might as well could have submitted the ITR-V in physical form! Perhaps the queue will be less for eFiling acknowldgments. God Knows!
Abhi, there used to be seperate queues last year is what i heard, but this time atleast in Bangalore it was a common queue. Go early and reach there about 9:30 AM or so and there wouldnt be much rush. Simply get it stamped, and return. No further verifications.
Old 31st July 2008, 14:18   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santhosh_kumard View Post
I have e-filed my returns and got my ITR-V which is kind of acknowledgment (?). Can I have it acknowledged after July, since I have anyway filed my returns ?? ;-). .
You will have 15 days more after reciept of ITR-V to get it stamped
Old 31st July 2008, 15:22   #29
BHPian

Efiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Right! Even I felt this e-filing is a joke!
I thought by eFiling we file all our IT Returns online & the IT dept will send the Acknowldgement by mail.
Now, we file our Returns online, they mail us the ITR-V form, we have to then take a print, sign it & take it to the IT office for stamping!
The whole purpose of Efiling is lost!
When you file your returns one of the key points is that it requires your signature authenticating the document.

Now if you want to do an eFiling in totality then you need a digital signature. If you have a digital signature then there is no need to go to the IT office once again for stamping.

However the IT department has allowed eFiling even for those who do not have a digital signature just for convenience sake. This document is not complete due to the lack of your signature, hence you need to get the e-file signed manually and stamped by the local IT office.

Perhaps from next year they may allow eFiling only for those who have digital signatures. cheers:
Old 5th August 2008, 14:23   #30
Senior - BHPian

I just got this as a forward (no source mentioned):

Quote "
Tax returns: Some don't need to panic
30 Jul 2008, 2334 hrs IST,
Debojyoti Ghosh,TNN
BANGALORE: If you have deposited all your tax, or your due taxes have been deducted by your employer or you are not claiming a major amount as refund, you need not rush to the income tax office.
In fact, if you have no losses to be carried forward too, you need not worry about meeting the July 31 deadline.
You have the option to file your returns by March 31, 2009, without any penalty. Many aren't aware of this. Software engineer Sidharth Masaldaan's company had already deducted his taxes, but he didn't know he could file his returns by March 31, 2009.
"It was only a day before I filed my returns that I saw a blog posting that talks about this. I feel our companies should create more awareness about filing returns," says Masaldaan. "They just distribute our Form 16 and sometimes, hold a session with a financial consultant. But one can't always make the time."
However, if the return is filed by July 31, 2008, then the assessee can revise the return by March 31, 2010. "Such revision is not possible if you file after July 31," says Sanjay Dhariwal, director of tax firm DNS Consulting.
Divya Chatterjee (26), a media professional, had to cough up nearly Rs 40,000 besides the normal tax deduction from her salary.
"I joined a new company mid year and the new company did not take into account my income for the first six months. Companies should realise that when employees join them in the middle of the year, they have to show income from other sources in the Form 16," says Chatterjee.
" Unquote.

And I have one of my collegues, who had posted the acknowledgement slip to the IT department here in Bangalore, receiving it back, by post, stamped. Have not seen the document, but he said that they sent back the stamped document to his residence address. Now, I would say that is good service.

He also mentioned that the address was hand written - wonder how many man hours are wasted by writting the address on each and every return!!!

Had anyone else, who had mailed the document, recieved it back?

Most Viewed