Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2005, 18:23   #1
BHPian

IT Returns - e-filing in Bangalore?

Folks

I understand that the last date for filing the IT returns for those option for 'e-filing' is 30 August.

Where in Bangalore can you e-file the returns. Had been to ICICI bank next to bangalore central. Was informed that they dont accept e-filings. so who, where and how do you use this service?

Thanks
Haque
Old 29th July 2008, 09:00   #2
BHPian

IT returns - refund

Hello all,

This time I have paid some excess tax and would like to get the refund. Please let me know if the procedure below is correct. (This is not for e-filing)

1. Attach Form 16 from employer (which does not consider some of my savings)
2. Fill up ITR2 (in my case)
3. ITR2 should have the actual tax saving (not the one in Form 16, as there is a difference)
4. Specify the excess tax amount to be refunded and bank account number.
5. Attach all supporting documents (including documents whose savings has been already considered)

Is that all? Is there a need of any computation sheet for the new tax to be attached?

Thanks

Nirmal
Old 29th July 2008, 09:40   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmalts View Post
Hello all,

This time I have paid some excess tax and would like to get the refund. Please let me know if the procedure below is correct. (This is not for e-filing)

3. ITR2 should have the actual tax saving (not the one in Form 16, as there is a difference)
5. Attach all supporting documents (including documents whose savings has been already considered)

Is that all? Is there a need of any computation sheet for the new tax to be attached?
You do not need to attach any supporting document with ITR2 (including Form16). I am yet to get the refund (80G donations) for the past 3 years, so do not expect to get it soon
Old 29th July 2008, 09:42   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haque View Post
Folks

I understand that the last date for filing the IT returns for those option for 'e-filing' is 30 August.

Where in Bangalore can you e-file the returns. Had been to ICICI bank next to bangalore central. Was informed that they dont accept e-filings. so who, where and how do you use this service?
The due date is 31st July. You can do e-filing online from the Income Tax website. they will give a form (ack) which you can get stamped from the local IT office within 15 days of filing online (before Aug 15 if you file on 31st)
Old 29th July 2008, 09:44   #5
Senior - BHPian

https://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/portal/index.jsp

You can download the ITR2 form (in excel format) and fill it. Then you can use the functions in the downloaded form to create a XML file and then upload it to the income tax office through internet. Then you will be getting a mail from the IT with a attachment which you need to sign and submit it physically in 2 copies.
If you have got the digital signature, then you do not need to sign and Physically handover the hard copy.
Old 29th July 2008, 09:48   #6
Senior - BHPian

For refunds, you just need to mention the amount (in the refund column) and make sure you have mentioned the bank details. And I have been waiting for 2 years for a refund and still no sign of it. Not even on the website which is supposed to have the details of the PAN holders for whom refund will be done! So guess thats a gonner!
Old 29th July 2008, 09:59   #7
BHPian

Correct me if I am wrong. Last date is 31 JULY.

You can e-file after registering and logging into the website of it department.

Only drawback is that you need to get the acknowledgement signed / stamped by them after you file it online. Take the printout and then make your way to meckhri circle to stamping.

In effect, we are doing the backend job of IT dept.

Yes, if you have digital signature, there's no need to get your acknowledgement stamped. But getting a digital sign costs you a bomb, thats what I heard.

Hope this information helps.

I did it the old fashioned way. Got it filed with a person arranged by our company
Old 29th July 2008, 10:05   #8
Senior - BHPian

Yes, Digital signature costs a lot. If you are getting it through TCS, its around 4K for 1 year validity (comes along with the USB key).

Also, i agree that we are doing the backend work of IT dept by putting the info into their database. It also makes it easy for them to query and apply some rules to catch people if doing mischiefs or showing wrong records in IT fillings.
Old 29th July 2008, 10:07   #9
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

dont forget to include the MICR Code of the Bank if you are opting for ECS credit of your return/ refund!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmalts View Post
Hello all,

Thanks

Nirmal
Old 29th July 2008, 10:21   #10
BHPian

Thanks for all the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
For refunds, you just need to mention the amount (in the refund column)
If you need to mention the refund, you need to change the information on savings and total tax also right. For example, if Form-16 says, under section 80C I have 80,000 as my savings, where as actual for me is 90,000, I need to mention 90,000 under 80C in ITR2 right? They dont need any proof for the additional 10,000 I am claiming?

Nirmal
Old 29th July 2008, 17:52   #11
Senior - BHPian

If you have made any addition tax saving investment which were not declared or taken into consideration while calculating tax by your company, then the proof has to be submitted. This is just for the govt to know that you made the investment that you say you have.

And yes, Shankar, for ECS you need the MICR code.

OT: Today one of my team member knew his PAN number but was not sure on what was the exact name given when applying. What I had him do is click on https://onlineservices.tin.nsdl.com/.../tdsnontds.jsp (which is used to make online tax payment), select ITS 280, then fill out the form that comes with the right PAN number. The rest of the information can be junk. On clicking the 'Next' button, you are presented with a page which say - 'As per IT dept the name is XXXXXXX for the given PAN'. Voila, you have it!

And I know its kind of dead late, but I am sharing a mail that I created of online tax payment that I circulate to my team. Can be used for reference next year (I guess).

Quote:

"List of banks authorized to accept e-payment of tax: https://onlineservices.tin.nsdl.com/etaxnew/Index.html
Payment Challan selection (this is from where the payment process starts): https://onlineservices.tin.nsdl.com/.../tdsnontds.jsp

Process to make e-payment:

1. click the link https://onlineservices.tin.nsdl.com/.../tdsnontds.jsp

2. select the appropriate challan form from 280,281,282,283

Note:
Q.13. I am an individual and have to pay self assessment tax (income tax) before filing my return of income. Which Challan should I use?
Ans. You should use Challan ITNS No. 280 and tick the box [a] 0021 Income-tax. As you are paying self assessment tax, you should further tick the [a] Self Assessment Tax (300) under Type of Payment
From https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/oltas/oltas-faqs.html

3. fill the selected form and select the bank from which you want to transfer funds

4. click Submit

Note:
A message will appear "For the TAN/pan given by you above, the name as per Income Tax Department database is '................................................. ..........................................'.

If the name is right, then click on "Submit to the bank"

5. If your name is matched with income tax data base than click the ‘Submit to Bank’ button otherwise check your PAN/TAN or correct the name filled by you

6. You will lead to your net banking site ,login your self and confirm the payment .

7. A e-receipt will be generated, save it for future use.

8. Your e-payment process is complete now.

9. The e-receipt will be CIN (challan identification number) consist of
- Date of deposit (DD/MM/YY).
- Bank BSR code(7 digit)
- Challan serial no(5 digit); this number is also printer in particular field in bank statement and will required to be filled at time of filing of return .

About steps taken from the site: CAclubindia News : Income Tax news : HOW TO DEPOSIT ONLINE INCOME TAX

Few more FAQ’s (from Frequently Asked Questions :: OLTAS ):
Q. What is the procedure after being directed to the net banking site of the bank?
Ans. TIN system will direct you to net-banking facility of your bank. You will have to log on to the net banking site of your bank using your login ID and password/PIN provided by the bank. The particulars entered by you at TIN website will be displayed again. You will now be required to enter the amount of tax you intend to pay and also select your bank account number from where you intend to pay the tax. After verifying the correctness, you can proceed with confirming the payment.

Q. What will happen after I confirm the payment of tax at my bank’s site?
Ans. Your bank will process the transaction online by debiting the bank account indicated by you and generate a printable acknowledgment indicating the Challan Identification Number (CIN). You can verify the status of the challan in the “Challan Status Inquiry” at NSDL-TIN website (https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/oltas/index.html ) using CIN after a week, after making payment.
More FAQ’s can be found at the said site.
" Unquote.

If any of you got this forwarded, then thanks me! :-)

Last edited by HappyWheels : 29th July 2008 at 17:55. Reason: Formatted.
Old 29th July 2008, 18:43   #12
Senior - BHPian

Shucks, I filed my return using their website last Saturday, but I did not know that I needed to take a printout and get their signature within 15 days.
What happens if I don't go to get their signature?
Old 29th July 2008, 19:30   #13
Senior - BHPian

What is the use of eFiling IT returns if I have to take a print-out of ITR-V, sign-it and get it endorsed at the IT Office?

If I had to goto IT office anyway, I would have filed my IT Returns the normal way, why all this eFiling and all....!

To my dismay, I eFiled my IT returns through a private website and they charged me Rs.250/- plus taxes for eFiling and now I realized that I need to visit the IT office to get my ITR-V endorsed!
Old 30th July 2008, 16:46   #14
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I think someone has posted wrong info. Today's ad in TOI does not mention about getting the eReturn signed by an I Tax official. It says one may need to take the return and form 16, if asked to do so by an I T official.
So I guess eFiling is the best option.
Old 30th July 2008, 17:11   #15

Guys, from what I know, e-filing without having a digital signature is the same as that of physically filling the ITR form and submitting at the local IT office (in case you are employed in a private company, as we most probably will be, the local IT office is the Mekhri circle office in Bangalore). After e-filing, we get a ITR-V form in our email which we need to sign 2 copies, one they take it up as their proof and the other is stamped and given to us as our reference. In short, its like we doing their back-end ops as "mjothi" mentioned.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks