Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2012, 10:13   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Any Twitter Fans here? What are your IDs?

Wow a pretty old thread resurrected by Siralec, anyways team-bhp has a twitter account and some 850 tweets already, i guess any forum or business is on twitter now. Follow me if anyone likes @hirakz
Old 29th April 2012, 19:36   #17
BHPian

Call me a stone age man at will, but, if someone can please elaborate what's twitter all about? Another social networking site like FB or a professional networking system (please correct me if I'm wrong) like linkedln OR there's more to twitter than just these. Thought of starting to tweet, but just thought of getting to know it before I do it.

PS: I'm not of FB OR linkedln.
Old 30th April 2012, 12:42   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by five46 View Post
Call me a stone age man at will, but, if someone can please elaborate what's twitter all about?
"Who you really are, you're on Twitter; what you want to be, you're on Facebook; what you're not, you're on LinkedIn" according to online-marketing expert Mahesh Murthy.

In short Twitter is a place where you a get a 360 different views on the same subject. It's upto the reader to choose. IMO it's a much better place for 'news and views' than any of the traditional media vehicles like newspapers, Tv, News Websites, etc

Last edited by Daewood : 30th April 2012 at 13:07.
Old 30th April 2012, 12:57   #19
Senior - BHPian

Personally, I'm no great fan on Twitter. I can understand media personalities, celebrities or politicians trying to keep in touch with people through Twitter, but I have no idea why the rest of the world thinks anyone else might be interested in where they are, what they are eating, what they are wearing or whether they are in the loo or not. Maybe it makes them think they are mini-celebrities.
Old 30th April 2012, 13:21   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
I can understand media personalities, celebrities or politicians trying to keep in touch with people through Twitter, but I have no idea why the rest of the world thinks anyone else might be interested in where they are, what they are eating, what they are wearing or whether they are in the loo or not. Maybe it makes them think they are mini-celebrities.
that's what everyone who isn't a twitterati thinks, but the plus side is Twitter has given a great opportunity for new ideas, new thinkers, etc to spread their views across the planet to a larger audience. If not for twitter they would have wasted their entire lifetime not being able to communicate, as effectively as they do through Twitter. That's precisely the reason why the Gov. is scared of social media, and is putting in place new laws to strangulate it. Arab Spring wouldn't have happened if not for twitter/facebook.

Off Topic: IMO Team-Bhp is a longer version of Twitter, on cars sold in India. To a non-Bhpian it may seem pointless as to why anyone would post reviews and updates of his car to be read by unknown people. But the reality is if not for team-BHP, do you think we would have got so many views/criticism/praise of all the cars in sold in India.

Last edited by Daewood : 30th April 2012 at 13:24.
Old 30th April 2012, 13:41   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
that's what everyone who isn't a twitterati thinks, but the plus side is Twitter has given a great opportunity for new ideas, new thinkers, etc to spread their views across the planet to a larger audience.
Yes, but tweeting about where they are or what they are doing (which is what a lot of the people do on Twitter, including celebrities) isn't really spreading great ideas, is it?

Why does Mr/Ms/Mrs.X think that it interests people to know if they are in the railway station or bedroom at this time?

Another thing people do is to post their views on politics/sports/human rights issues on social media (be it Twitter or Facebook or anything else), when 99% of the time they have no intention to walk the talk.
Old 30th April 2012, 19:56   #22
BHPian

FB-LI-TW comparo

Quote:
Originally Posted by five46 View Post
Call me a stone age man at will, but, if someone can please elaborate what's twitter all about? Another social networking site like FB or a professional networking system (please correct me if I'm wrong) like linkedln OR there's more to twitter than just these. Thought of starting to tweet, but just thought of getting to know it before I do it.

PS: I'm not of FB OR linkedln.
Twitter is radically different than Facebook or LinkedIn. Here's my bit of what these sites are individually -

Facebook - FB is a database of people located globally and willing to connect with friends and brands. It is very much on a personal level. You let others know about yourself - bio, likes, dislikes, your status updates, share photos, videos, play games, interact with people, share your timelines and groups, etc. All-in-all you build a virtual fun world and interact with people in this virtual world. Good for whom - anyone. Individuals, Brands and Celebrities from a marketing perspective.

LinkedIn - LI is a database of people on similar lines as FB but on a professional level. And they want to keep it that way. As the description suggests, you upload your professional achievements onto this site and make them available for the world to see. But you expect people to catch up with you only for a particular matter on LI. LI is a great resource for HR professionals to spot you and hire you. It is also a great place for job seekers to catch the eye of such recruiters. You can participate in group and share your views. BTW, there is an app on FB called BranchOut which is a mini LinkedIn for Facebook. Good for whom - Individuals and Companies from a job/career perspective.

Twitter - Twitter is basically an app that allows celebrities and brands to connect directly to their fans and consumers - In Real Time. Celebrities and companies used to extensively use services of Public Relation professionals to connect with individuals at large, but internet being a highly personalised platform gave them an opportunity to connect on a one-to-one basis. Hence, you can 'follow' Narendra Modi on Twitter, read what he has to say about a recent event he is attending, question him about the performance of his party in the recent elections and also congratulate him for successfully convincing a foreign company to setup a plant in his state. All this has to happen in a prescribed limitation of 140 characters of a 'Tweet'. FB, after the recent modifications, allows users to 'Subscribe' to a person or a brand and interact with them as on Twitter.

Hope this helps. Individuals like you and me might not have anything to share on Twitter as it is a mouth-piece for those who have lots to share - Harsha Bhogle, paid-news-broadcasters, political-dimwits and finally, lots-of-free-love-sharing-celebrities. But one thing that Twitter does amazingly well, is spreading NEWS. Any recent development, anywhere in the world will be at your fingertips within seconds. And that's the power of Social Media.
Old 1st May 2012, 11:32   #23
BHPian

@ SankalpDesai, Daewood and Starrysky, thanks to all of you for clearing the cobwebs. Based on your views, I can stay clear from tweeting, atleast till I get a Celebrity status. :-)

Note to the mods: I couldn't see a Thanks button, so had to post. Please take appropriate action if deemed necessary.

Old 1st May 2012, 12:41   #24
BHPian

On Twitter since 2010... handle is djdhasmana
Old 16th May 2012, 17:24   #25
BHPian

On twitter for long now.
Bought the gravity app today. seems good to go.
Follow for supercar spottings in Delhi and other useful information across different sectors.
Twitter handle : @abhijeetsng

See you all!
Old 17th May 2012, 13:13   #26
BHPian

Twitter is a great source of information and if you follow the right people, you'll have a lot of fun on it. But, if you end up following the wrong ones, all you'll hear are complaints. This doesn't work, government doesn't do this, why me and so on. Infact, a person by the id @madversity had this to say about a few people on twitter:

"They used to say "Content is King" on the Internet. On Twitter, I often find "Discontent is King"

So, now I am more of a lurker and follow only the right people. Oh, btw, it's a nice way to see what your favorite idols are upto (be it sports, politics or films). And sometimes, you get to interact with them, which is pretty cool considering the fact that it's almost impossible to meet them in real life.

Some people I follow and really admire:
(i) Harsha Bhogle
(ii) Ayaz Memon
(iii) Ramesh Srivats (A must follow if you like humor and word play)
(iv) Sidin Vadukut
(v) David Hobby (strobist)
(vi) Some poker players
(vii) A lot of photographers.

All in all, it's a great place to be at if you follow the right people.
Old 17th May 2012, 14:27   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
"Who you really are, you're on Twitter; what you want to be, you're on Facebook; what you're not, you're on LinkedIn" according to online-marketing expert Mahesh Murthy.
I guess people like me do not exist then...as I have never even logged onto Twitter (though I know what it is of course), I spend maybe 5mins on FB just to keep in touch with a few people I cannot via other channels, and I am not on LinkedIn either.
Old 17th May 2012, 17:52   #28
Senior - BHPian

Signed up long time back but have been a regular on Twitter in the past few months only.

@naveenroy
Old 5th September 2013, 18:53   #29
BHPian

Twitter IDs of BHPians

Well, I am an ardent user of Twitter, so thought of creating this thread.

Here's my ID:
@shahnipam

Do add post your IDs below, so that we can compile a list!
Old 8th September 2013, 13:41   #30
Senior - BHPian

Re: Any Twitter Fans here? What are your IDs?

I have been on twitter for some time now but not very active. Hope to change all of that now!

@amitraisinghani

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks