Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2009, 18:03   #16
Senior - BHPian

This is very serious stuff, I suggest you go all out on them and not let them get away with this.
Old 7th November 2009, 01:51   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
Then one fine day on 25 Sep, 2009 I received a letter from ICICI stating that there is an unpaid outstanding due to Rs. 7446.77/- on a credit card XXXX XXXX XXXX XXX and because of that ICICI has placed a lien on my account. And if I do not respond to this letter by 25th Sep, 2009, this amount will be debited from my account. Thus giving me a notice of about 10 hours to respond. Anyways I responded to that letter but the amount was anyways debited from my account.

I had never given my consent or agreed to ICICI, able to debit money this way from my account. In fact I had never had any communication/dealing with ICICI regarding this particular card. This is a blatant case of breach of trust I placed in ICICI.

"Banks have a right to exercise lien under section 171 of the Indian Contract Act against the dues from constituents/customers. However, the banks cannot exercise lien over the personal account of a customer on the ground that money was due to the bank in another account where he acts in a different capacity, if there is no agreement to that effect."

And since I didn't get this card from ICICI, I do not have any agreement with them. But they just refused to listen to me.
The Ombudsman is the way to go if you can substantiate the claim with evidence. Mere mention of the word with the big "O" should spur them into action; it did in a similar case with HDFC which they settled with-in 15 days and reversed all charges.

But let me tell you that ICICI amended the terms and conditions governing its credit cards in July 2009 to include this provision and the user had no option to challenge it. See links below.

ICICI to recover credit card dues from salary account - India Business - Biz - The Times of India

news.outlookindia.com | ICICI to Recover Credit Card Dues from Salary Account

Best of luck in your fight man! PM me if you need any help.
Old 8th November 2009, 02:31   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
ICICI Bank - India's unfriendliest Bank !!

I absolutely hate this bank's services. I would strongly advise everyone to stay away from this bank - specially Loans & Credit Cards.

Operating a normal Savings Or Current A/C is allright though !
Why would anybody want to operate even a normal savings or current account with them? Best to totally boycott such companies. And ICICI certainly seems to have the wost name in the financial sector. I would never want to have ANY kind of dealing with them.
Old 8th November 2009, 23:08   #19
Senior - BHPian

I have heard so many horror stories about ICICI Bank and have never heard a single nice word being said about them by any of their customers so far in life. Yet this bank keeps growing by leaps and bounds - this really baffles me. I am sure there is some scam going on somewhere.
I almost went to jail once because of their incompetence where they gladly dishonoured some 12 cheques issued by me for insufficient funds while I had all the money in the account all the time !!
Old 9th November 2009, 13:23   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
You need to go to the card issuing bank and fill a charge reversal form, double charging is usually not done by the banks, it happens by the merchant outfits. The charge reversal usually takes upto 45days, the bank will send a personal to the shop and he will go and ask the shop guy for both the slips you signed, he would not be able to produce both obviously so the money would be credited back. You can take your anger out on the custmer care associate, but seriously its not their mistake. Some merchant outfits purposefully do it.

Pramod

Pramod
This outlet in question where the card was used was lifestyle at R City, pathetic, seems like a glitch more than a deliberate attempt to withdraw money.

Regards

M M M
Old 9th November 2009, 13:35   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
I would strongly advise everyone to stay away from this bank - specially Loans & Credit Cards.

Operating a normal Savings Or Current A/C is allright though !

with ICICI bank, things are brilliant till one is dealing with their machines i.e. ATMs.

the moment one needs to deal with thier people, it is much worst experience than a state run bank.

in fact the state run banks are more human.
Old 9th November 2009, 14:23   #22
Senior - BHPian

I had a run in with ICICI once, and canceled their card immediately thereafter. No more ICICI credit card for me !!

OTOH, I had a run in with Stanchart too. They actually gave me a discount(offered over phone) if I paid up dues in full. Overjoyed, I agreed and paid up. However, I started getting statements for the pending discount amount. I disputed and refused to pay. After a few months, they sent me a letter saying that the amount has been waived off, but closed my card and I cannot get another Standchart card in future. Who cares? Stanchart's loss is someone else's gain.

I was worried that my CIBIL standing would be affected by this, but because I regularly pay my other loans and cards, I guess I am not. Why, even SBI gave me a house loan. Thats when I knew I am creditworthy !!
Old 9th November 2009, 14:45   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post

with ICICI bank, things are brilliant till one is dealing with their machines i.e. ATMs.

the moment one needs to deal with thier people, it is much worst experience than a state run bank.

in fact the state run banks are more human.
absolutely, i do agree that their machines are much more worth of dealing then their people who are not only relucant but also unhumans as well.
Old 9th November 2009, 14:56   #24
BHPian

My experience with ICICI Bank.....

1. My debit card got broken and I changed it. As usual the bank charge me for this. But after one year I found that they deducted yearly charges for both the discontinued as well as the new debit card. In the last one year, I have sent them at least 3 mails, but they replied that I need to visit my bank in person and meet the manager for rectification.

2. Like Sudiptoda, they dishonor my cheque issued to my daughter's school for insufficient fund which is just rubbish. This was a very big embarrassment for me and my family. I took this matter through my legal representative with the ICICI Branch and they simply say 'sorry' and according to them it was mismatch of signature....just to cover up their fault.

3. I have an ICICI Direct account which they locked sometimes in last June without any prior intimation. When contacted, they told that the documents submitted while opening the account got damaged in the 'Mumbai Flood' and so I need to reapply. I sent them so many mails but the reply was just simple - you need to visit the ICICI branch in person and submit all the documents. They even refuse to accept the papers through their Dubai Branch. After almost one and half year - all papers were submitted by my wife and they unlocked the account - unfortunately this time, the address mentioned is wrong. Again send them pointing their fault and got this reply - "we can't do anything. You need to apply again for change of address as per bank policies...." I am totally fed up. Planned to change the demat account to some other bank.
Old 9th November 2009, 15:21   #25
BANNED

If you don't pay EMI for a month.

Per day it is 2% fo the EMI as charges.

So Rs 100 EMI, you pay Rs 2 for everyday not paid after due date.

Hilarious stuff. These guys are crooks.
Old 9th November 2009, 15:38   #26
BHPian

I have had my own run-ins with ICICI Bank and agree with all that their customer service department is inhabited by inhumans with intelligence quotients never exceeding 60. These guys are such bozos over the phone or email that one can laugh, cry and feel pity for them all at once! In my mind, no other bank has such pathetically ridiculous customer service staff.

Speaking of my problems- I asked them to cancel my card in May 2008 and they kept on dragging this matter until November 2008. I finally manage to close my card in November, and got a letter from them saying that all dues are clear. Miraculously, I again started getting account statement from January 2009 showing a pending of Rs. 500 or so, when I disputed this- the customer care apologized and told me that my account will be closed by next billing cycle.

Once again in the next billing cycle, I got a statement- this time of Rs. 1000 or so (previous amount+ interest + late payment fine) and it continued for 3-4 months. Finally, I wrote to the Level 3 Customer Care head (address on ICICI website) a lengthy mail, threatening him of dire consequences (legal and media expose)- and the matter was resolved in 4 days flat!

Only one advice for all those harassed by ICICI customer care- escalate the matter through the email address given on ICICI website. Here's the link:

ICICI Bank - Customer Care India
Old 9th November 2009, 15:56   #27
BHPian

Most unfaithful bank in India.

Forgot about services, that for sure you won't get. But finally I decided to close my Demat and Saving account with this stupid bank. They took 15 days to close demat account and transfer my share to my new demat account and 20 days to pay DD for my amount. That too after visiting them many times. So my word for ICICI - STAY AWAY
Old 3rd March 2010, 14:09   #28
BHPian

ICICI BANK biggest thieves in India!

People, beware of hoax settlement calls from ICICI bank. ICICI BANK is the biggest chor in the country! They call you up claiming to settle your card, take money and then claim they never said so!

And the icing on the cake is, ICICI bank's own representative says "sir, you can't trust anything we say without written proof."

So doesn't this make ICICI Bank a "Phishing" company in itself? Who needs hackers and online Phishers when you have someone like ICICI Bank fooling customers themselves.

And from what I've heard, I'm not the first one to have experienced these hoax calls from ICICI. So fellow BHPians, beware. Don't trust anything ICICI says unless it's in writing. Chances are, even then they might deny it.

Any other BHPians experienced this kind of crap from ICICI? Please post for everyone's benefit.
Old 3rd March 2010, 14:12   #29
Senior - BHPian

Please furnish the background for this rant!
Old 3rd March 2010, 14:27   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Please furnish the background for this rant!

Well, I have an ICICI credit card with an overall outstanding of around 32000 rupees. Around 6-7 months back, they asked me if i would like to pay the amount in EMIs. I agreed and started to pay that till November after which I was late on a couple of payments which I payed later. Around 15-20 days back, I got call from them asking if I would like to settle my card for 15000. I said that I have 12000 for the same. They agreed and said I'll have to pay 6000 immediately and 6000 after 15 days when they'll hand me my settlement letter. I paid them the amount but got a call after 8 days asking me for my payment. When I told them about the settlement, they said there's nothing like that and that someone must have promised me a settlement to meet their daily target.
They also said themselves that I shouldn't trust ICICI unless they give it in writing. Now what do I do?

Most Viewed