Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2008, 17:54   #16
BHPian

Yes JK, its an amazing game.. you wont know what all the fuss is about until you try a drive and you see either you dig the club in to grass or the ball flies off in the opposite direction than that you intended..its technique technique all the way! only wished it was more affordable for common man including club memberships.
Old 18th June 2008, 18:27   #17
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

JK - yes thats a lovely course - Trivandrum Golf Club - one of the oldest in India after Royal Calcutta, Bangalore Golf Club, Madras Gymkhana, Ooty Gymkhana, Mercara Downs etc. You should try it. Addiction was never so easy.

Shazikon - you're bang on - but actually it is more affordable for the common man nowadays - and please note that Golf originated in the Highlands of Scotland where the shepherds there used to hit a stone with a stick to idle away their time while watching over their sheep.
So it is not an elitist pastime - or never originated that way!
And if you like, I can send you a FORM for IGU membership - it costs about 10 grand for LIFE for people who are not members of any club and there is no restriction on IGU Membership. All you have to do is to want to play. Using this you can play at all affiliated courses by paying the Green Fees.
PM me your email id and I will send you a scan copy of the form if you want. JK - you also if you like!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
I live next to a golf course. I see lot of uncles and grand-dads there early in the morning.

Now that Shazikon said its interesting I have to give it a try.

And anyone been to Golf Links @ Tvm; one of the oldest course in the country I presume.

And I know Ajmat plays and I have heard of Mr.Wood (and Mrs. Woods )

shankar; thats too much of golf related tech words.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 18th June 2008 at 18:32.
Old 18th June 2008, 22:22   #18
BHPian

It's nice to know that there are quiet a few Golf enthusiasts here in TBHP. A bangy Golf meet someday would be nice.

Ajamt/Shankar, apart from hitting a stone with a stick like the shepherds did, how could a newbie pick up this game? What should be the approach for starters?
Old 19th June 2008, 09:17   #19
BANNED

I suggest you visit SPT Sports Academy on Sarjapur Road -
It is located after Wipro office etc on Sarjapur Road and past all the Marble/ Granite dealers you will see a railway level crossing. Cross that and immediately turn right onto a dirt track which will take you to SPT.
You can pay about 200 bucks on a weekend as entry fee, then rent a couple of golf clubs and a bucket or two of golf*****, approach the resident coach there - his name is Rajan - and ask him to teach you the rudiments of the game. You can call Rajan on 99166-61597 and fix with him if you like.
Once you learn some basic techniques of the grip, how to hold the club, swinging the club, the necessary body movements and of course, when you start actually connecting with the ball, you may discover a deep interest in pursuing the game further.
Anyone can learn golf - age/ gender also is not a determining factor. It entirely depends on your interest and whether you can make the time for it.
Try it, you might like it and then you'll join the rest of the golf addicts out there!
cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo View Post
It's nice to know that there are quiet a few Golf enthusiasts here in TBHP. A bangy Golf meet someday would be nice.

Ajamt/Shankar, apart from hitting a stone with a stick like the shepherds did, how could a newbie pick up this game? What should be the approach for starters?
Old 19th June 2008, 09:21   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazikon View Post
only wished it was more affordable for common man including club memberships.
Spot on, thats the factor that is inhibiting me from trying this sport. BTW i have heard a lot about Trivandrum Golf Club.
Old 19th June 2008, 10:19   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
only wished it was more affordable for common man including club memberships
FOr a local domicile - the KGA membership fee is Rs 30000. However the wait list is 20+ years now. It is not no much the money as in the time!
Old 19th June 2008, 12:02   #22
BANNED

yup Ajmat
but there are a few catches apart from this
1.one has to be a Karnataka Domicile for 10 years plus.
2.then of course the waitlist - 20 years - man- talk about one foot in the grave and all that...
3.the fee to be paid right now is 30,000/- however whatever fees are applicable at the time of being accepted for membership are what are actually payable.
4.then comes the endless hassle of campaigning for signatures - one needs 5 or 6 signatures at the moment to even have a valid application form for submission.
5.There are some other classes like Temporary Membership/ Long Term Temporary Membership etc - but these are really not worth the money as they are expensive and only valid for a limited time.
6. Paying and Playing KGA as a visitor without affiliation/ IGU is very very expensive and inconvenient- 800 odd for a weekday round and 2000 odd for a weekend round, provided one gets a slot.

Frankly, I only use the KGA sometimes because my club is affiliated to it and I dont play there very often since I find it is too crowded. Lovely course though.

For BLR based people interested in starting golf now ,who may not have access to KGA/BGC etc, maybe the best way available at the moment, is to go and try their hand at the game, at SPT.

Then if they find that they like the game, they could invest around 10K-12K in a set of used clubs and all the other accompanying paraphernalia. Once they reach a reasonable proficiency level, it is worth investing that 10K in a membership at IGU and pay green fees and play at any of the affiliated clubs.

Its funny but indeed, abroad, one can pay and play (at reasonable prices) at practically any club and they even have lovely municipal golf courses - how I wish Indian Govt would wake up to the potential and make the game more accessible.

Its only here in India with our often skewed thought processes that Golf has taken on the mantle of an "elitist" sport when actually it is nothing of the kind!

Sincerely hoping a few more guys on TBHP BLR will think about taking up golf using the method suggested above! Welcome to addiction!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
FOr a local domicile - the KGA membership fee is Rs 30000. However the wait list is 20+ years now. It is not no much the money as in the time!
Old 19th June 2008, 13:30   #23
BHPian

thanks Ajmat, i checked out KGA website after seeing your post, some how i missed this when i last saw the website. but looking at the long list of people in line for membership ( around 4000 odd) i am dissapointed :(
One query, after paying 30K for membership, are we allowed to use the greens or the driving range or any other facilities for that matter?
Does any one have any info about Eagleton golf course? Life time membership costs Rs.6Lakhs + service tax.. can a non-member play by paying a Green fee?
@shankar.Balan you have a PM..
Old 19th June 2008, 15:10   #24
BANNED

applying now for KGA may make sense for 20 years later!
by paying 30k one is not allowed any facilities at KGA - till one gets the PINK Card, which means one has been elevated from the status of a mere applicant and has become a Member in waiting - and then one can use the golf course on payment of a reduced green fee.

eagleton is a pure pay and play private course - on weekdays it costs about 1000 bucks for 18 holes plus caddy fee, cart fee etc if you take one. On weekends it costs 2K for a round of 18 holes plus caddy fee, cart fee blah blah blah.

the golf membership for life at Eagleton costs about 5 lacs plus service tax when I last heard - perhaps its gone up now.
And Eagleton, since it is a private course, is not affiliated to IGU so one cant get a concession on green fee because of IGU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazikon View Post
thanks Ajmat, i checked out KGA website after seeing your post, some how i missed this when i last saw the website. but looking at the long list of people in line for membership ( around 4000 odd) i am dissapointed :(
One query, after paying 30K for membership, are we allowed to use the greens or the driving range or any other facilities for that matter?
Does any one have any info about Eagleton golf course? Life time membership costs Rs.6Lakhs + service tax.. can a non-member play by paying a Green fee?
@shankar.Balan you have a PM..
Old 19th June 2008, 16:35   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I suggest you visit SPT Sports Academy on Sarjapur Road -
It is located after Wipro office etc on Sarjapur Road and past all the Marble/ Granite dealers you will see a railway level crossing. Cross that and immediately turn right onto a dirt track which will take you to SPT.
You can pay about 200 bucks on a weekend as entry fee, then rent a couple of golf clubs and a bucket or two of golf*****, approach the resident coach there - his name is Rajan - and ask him to teach you the rudiments of the game. You can call Rajan on 99166-61597 and fix with him if you like.
Once you learn some basic techniques of the grip, how to hold the club, swinging the club, the necessary body movements and of course, when you start actually connecting with the ball, you may discover a deep interest in pursuing the game further.
Anyone can learn golf - age/ gender also is not a determining factor. It entirely depends on your interest and whether you can make the time for it.
Try it, you might like it and then you'll join the rest of the golf addicts out there!
cheers
Thanks Shankar,

I had been to SPT quite a few times and i usually do what you have mentioned above rent clubs and use their driving range. In-fact i had a chance to attend a half a day training program sometime ago to learn the basics. You are right the first time you connect the ball and be able to drive a fair distance you feel special and the addiction starts.

So the question really is what next for me? Perhaps i'll have to continue going to this place for somemore time before i can even think of going to a full fledged course like a KGA.
Old 19th June 2008, 23:21   #26
BHPian

I have seen a small golf club down old mahabalipuram road. Does anybody know or have any info about it?
Old 19th June 2008, 23:25   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post

the golf membership for life at Eagleton costs about 5 lacs plus service tax when I last heard - perhaps its gone up now.
And Eagleton, since it is a private course, is not affiliated to IGU so one cant get a concession on green fee because of IGU.
Nope.. U can play with IGU card in eagleton as well.. Also i picked up my membership for much less than what u have mentioned.. but that was 3 years ago.. I am not aware of rates today.. But playing there on weekend is a long wait since all employees from Toyota are there on weekends..

The best time to Tee off in Eagleton is around 5:30 AM. Its nice and calm and no one around.. you can have a nice game..
Also i suggest Weekdays if you can take time off..

It will be great to play a match with Tbhpiians but please note that I have not played in 1 year.. and have pretty much lost touch..
Also.. the fact that i am sitting in US .. So i will be waiting for the pics..

Goddy
Old 20th June 2008, 07:04   #28
BANNED

you probably can play using the igu but you wont be given a concession on green fees.
if you want to play a weekend you ve got to book a tee time a week in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
Nope.. U can play with IGU card in eagleton as well.. Also i picked up my membership for much less than what u have mentioned.. but that was 3 years ago.. I am not aware of rates today.. But playing there on weekend is a long wait since all employees from Toyota are there on weekends..

The best time to Tee off in Eagleton is around 5:30 AM. Its nice and calm and no one around.. you can have a nice game..
Also i suggest Weekdays if you can take time off..

It will be great to play a match with Tbhpiians but please note that I have not played in 1 year.. and have pretty much lost touch..
Also.. the fact that i am sitting in US .. So i will be waiting for the pics..

Goddy
Old 20th June 2008, 07:07   #29
BANNED

great.
im sure once you connect and start enjoying the game, you ll be able to get on course soon
also you can try and play a round at SPT itself and improve your short game!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo View Post
Thanks Shankar,

I had been to SPT quite a few times and i usually do what you have mentioned above rent clubs and use their driving range. In-fact i had a chance to attend a half a day training program sometime ago to learn the basics. You are right the first time you connect the ball and be able to drive a fair distance you feel special and the addiction starts.

So the question really is what next for me? Perhaps i'll have to continue going to this place for somemore time before i can even think of going to a full fledged course like a KGA.
Old 20th June 2008, 11:12   #30
Senior - BHPian

Hooray! cheers:

I finally found a bunch of guys who love CARS & GOLF!!

I'm not a great player, am still learning the ropes, frequent the driving ranges at SPT academy and a week ago, have found a driving range( BIRDIE ), on Hennur Main Road, about 6kms from the Hennur Jn, which I intend to frequent

I'd love to meet up with the rest of the bangalore based TBHP-Golfers, how about a meet at Eagleton ?

cheers!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks