Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2008, 22:33   #1
BHPian

Any Golfers here?

I have seen many sports discussed here in TBHP but hardly any mention about Golf. I was wondering how many of us here are interested and follow Golf. I started following Golf about four years ago and i absolutely love it. I haven't been able to take this as a serious hobby and pursue it so far but someday i will.

The just concluded US open was such a treat to watch. Although the Play-off was not the most interesting round, the 3rd and 4th round was absolutely fantastic. I like Tiger Woods for all he has achieved so far and some of the shots that he hit during the weekend showed why he is considered as one of the greats of this sport. He was carrying an injury and was clearly struggling with his tee shots throughout but it's amazing that he still managed to win. Rocco played brilliantly through the week and it was sad to see him lose.
Old 17th June 2008, 23:07   #2
Team-BHP Support

Ajmat! Where are you?
Old 17th June 2008, 23:09   #3
BHPian

I am an avid follower of golf on television and I just loved yesterday's US Open Playoff and the Sudden Death was the icing on the cake. I did not realise when the clock moved to 2:15AM.
Old 17th June 2008, 23:18   #4
BANNED

Actually it is a very good car. It was/is a cult car (like Beetle) in many countries like SA where the older generation is still made and sold in respectable numbers. VW has made a lots of cars based on the golf platform and many have seen success and never looked back.

Wait!!!????
Are you speaking about some hockey/cricket kinda game which one Ajit on our forum likes to play and we all get bored off?? My god! I'm outta here.

Ajmat!! Please stand up.
Old 17th June 2008, 23:33   #5
Senior - BHPian

Took me a while to understand the game but once I got hold of the terms - I watch it when no cricket or football or Lawn tennis or pool or badminton or table tennis is being telecast
Old 18th June 2008, 00:00   #6
BHPian

I used to be a regular at KGA, and occasionally play at BGC, ,but i have stopped playing for a while now as KGA has closed 9 holes for renovation. Maybe Ajmat should coordinate a TeamBHP golf session!
Old 18th June 2008, 00:07   #7
BHPian

I used to say " Golf !! yaaawn.." until I had a chance to play it. i was bowled over... now i am itching to be regular..
Old 18th June 2008, 00:09   #8
BHPian

Count Me In

I indulge in golf when its possible as a guest (i currently dont have any membership, I've applied & am on wait list on BGC) on one of my friends / clients.

But I strictly watch on TV & indulge myself playing with TIGER on Nintendo WII
Old 18th June 2008, 00:12   #9
Senior - BHPian

I Play golf every chance i get.. Golf course in US are expensive.. I am already a member of eagleton and planning to take up membership with IGU. Heard that if you have membership with IGU then you can play in any golf course in India.. not sure about courses abroad..

Goddy
Old 18th June 2008, 07:43   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
Heard that if you have membership with IGU then you can play in any golf course in India.. not sure about courses abroad..

Goddy
True.. at these.. Member Clubs
In order to get a handicap certificate you need a home club membership though.

Here is an extract from their website mentioning the perks of becoming a life member:

"The benefits of being a member of the Union is to be able to avail of the use of the golfing facilities of affiliated Golf Clubs, whilst travelling away from your residences. Provided one is an IGU Life member, one can play Golf at IGU affiliated Clubs all over the country*.

We would wish our members to be informed that, though it is not mandatory, most Clubs do charge concessional Green Fees to IGU golfing members."
Old 18th June 2008, 08:46   #11
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

HI boys - thank god for this thread. Im more of a Golfer/ Golf Enthusiast than a Car Maniac to tell you the truth.
Also am a freelance golf travel writer for Golfline Magazine Bangalore.
Yes GODFATHER- IGU allows you to play golf courses which are affiliated across India. Ive used my IGU to pay and play abroad on many courses and they usually welcome you since IGU is the apex body of Golf in India. Though not mandatory, IGU members are sometimes offered discounted green fees etc at Clubs in India and Abroad.
It would be a good thing to fix a round with other BLR TBHPians sometime - however with KGA having knocked off 9 holes and BGC foreshortened by the wicked government, that leaves maybe Eagleton where one can book for a pay and play or ASC where you can go if you have IGU membership.
And Rangaraj - You're right, one does need a home club to get a handicap certificate. Or else one can collect cards over about 18- 20 rounds, all properly signed of course by ones playing partners AND the authorities at the club where one is paying and playing and then send them to IGU in Delhi requesting them to issue a handicap certificate.

If any one of you are interested in reading some of my golf travel articles, I request you to view these links to my golfblogs , comprising the articles written over the last few years and published in Golfline Mag.

The Duffer's Golf Club - Shanks Golf Blog
The Duffer's Golf Club- Shanks Golf Blog

cheers and happy golfing

looking forward to catching up over a round sometime soon with any of you who may be interested!
b rgds

Last edited by shankar.balan : 18th June 2008 at 08:49.
Old 18th June 2008, 09:01   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo View Post
I have seen many sports discussed here in TBHP but hardly any mention about Golf. I was wondering how many of us here are interested and follow Golf.
Finally, TBHP golfers come out of the closet! I am a certifiable Golf Nut as is my family. There have been times when up to 6 members of our family have been playing on the same course at a time! So you can say that the game runs in my blood.

Been playing for the past 20 years - Have had an opportunity to play on some very interesing tracks around the world, the toughest being Bethpage Black, Westchester Country Club, TPC at Heron Bay and our very own Golden Greens in Delhi.

In India, I am playing either in Jamshedpur (5 day's of non stop golf starting this weekend!) or at DLF / Golden / Lado in Delhi.

I have also been quite lucky to see some of the best golfers up close when walking the course during certain PGA tour tournaments.

The most fun I have had though was watching in person the 2004 US Open at Shinnecock, 2005 British Open Championship at St. Andrews and the 2006 US Open at Winged Foot. The British Open Championship was special because I saw Tiger win on Sunday and the US open at Winged Foot was special because I saw him miss the cut on Friday (His only missed cut in a major!).

I play off a 15 handicap now since I am not able to hit the range / course as much as I need and want to. Have gone as low as a 10. Best score to date has been even par in 9 and +8 in 18.

Oh and if fellow golfers here are doing a "What's in the garage?" version of golf a.ka. "What's in the bag?"; here is my current setup:

Driver: Bridgestone J33r 460 with ProForce V2
3 Wood: Taylormade V-Steel 15* FW - Stock Shaft
5 Wood: Tourstage Z140 18* FW - ZZR Shaft
Irons: Mizuno MP30 - 3 to PW - All bent 2* Flat
Wedges:Mizuno MP-t 56* (Bent to 54*) and 60* (Bent to 58*)
Putter: Voodoo Milled Series 4 / Scotty Cameron Futura
Ball: Titleist Pro V1x / Bridgestone E6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo View Post
The just concluded US open was such a treat to watch. Although the Play-off was not the most interesting round, the 3rd and 4th round was absolutely fantastic. I like Tiger Woods for all he has achieved so far and some of the shots that he hit during the weekend showed why he is considered as one of the greats of this sport. He was carrying an injury and was clearly struggling with his tee shots throughout but it's amazing that he still managed to win. Rocco played brilliantly through the week and it was sad to see him lose.
What an open championship! I was up for all 5 nights and this has taken a toll on my morning's at work! Tiger could have cleaned up Rocco on Sunday itself but apart from the busted knee, he made some surprising choices including going for the green in 2 on the 614 yard Par 5 13th - That cost him a crucial shot. The last birdie putt for Mr. Wood's to extend the open into a playoff was exhilirating to watch!

But I must say I have deep respect for Rocco - The guy fought and hung in there during the play off and his on and off course demeanor was fantastic. He could have given up when there was a 3 shot differential but to make three birds in a row and put the pressure on El Tigre - Now that is special. I like Tiger a lot and want to see him hit the 18 major mark to overtake Nicklaus but yesterday was one day I was pulling for the other guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangaraj View Post
I used to be a regular at KGA, and occasionally play at BGC, ,but i have stopped playing for a while now as KGA has closed 9 holes for renovation. Maybe Ajmat should coordinate a TeamBHP golf session!
I played at KGA 2 years ago. The greens were in very good shape. I heard about the renovation too. Have you tried Eagleton? 3 of my golfing buddies were there last week for the Southern India Amateur and they spoke very highly off it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
I Play golf every chance i get.. Golf course in US are expensive.. I am already a member of eagleton and planning to take up membership with IGU. Heard that if you have membership with IGU then you can play in any golf course in India.. not sure about courses abroad..Goddy
Twilight Rates!! Esp. down south, you can play some super nice course starting at even 2:00pm (Those Floridians consider this twilight!) for as low as $30. A Lifetime IGU membership will not get you access to any golf course in India - Only the affiliated ones. So you will not be able to play DLF GCC or Amby Valley. Also with the IGU membership, you still have to pay the greens fee and the difference between IGU and non IGU rates is minimal. I think it is a 10 Rupee diffference at a place like Delhi Golf Club.

If you can justify 60K annual fees, get an Amex Plat card - you get to play at ITC - Classic / DLF Wed nights / Eagleton / Amby as a holder of that card.

P.S. The Bangalore Boys are really coming out of the wood work! You guys should setup a league. Winner gets a power point demonstration from irgahava on the merits of maintaing optimum tyre air pressue! Alright Delhi Golfers - lets see some confessions about your golf addiction - I would love for a T-BHP Golf Meet - Laem Chabang anyone?

Last edited by vcash : 18th June 2008 at 09:08.
Old 18th June 2008, 13:51   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Ajmat! Where are you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Actually it is a very good car. It was/is a cult car (like Beetle) in many countries like SA where the older generation is still made and sold in respectable numbers. Ajmat!! Please stand up.
Here I am, I love this forum, cars and golf!!!!

I play in KGA, used to play in BGC until I nearly got assassinated on the 13th hole due to the criss cross design. I play on sundays normally, means having to get up at 5.15 am on sat morning to book a slot on the web. Things get booked up in 10 sec. Sadly my driver excepted, my clubs are nothing to write home about. I was about to buy a new set in the US but BA left me naked so I had to buy clothes.

Zakko, I also drive a golf (rather with a Czech bodyshell and name)

We should do a bhp round one day!
Old 18th June 2008, 16:18   #14
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

YOO HOO Boys!!!
Lets beat the little white ball and make it squeal!!
anyone??

BLR Boys lets figure out a round at ASC soon, shall we?

Well, the bag setup is quite simple though Im an iffy 18 handicapper

Cleveland Launcher Comp 460 Driver 9.5 Loft
Taylor Made V Steel 3 Wood 15 loft
Ping Rapture Rescue 18 loft which I alternate with my 2 iron so as to be Course Legal with 14 clubs only!
2 Iron through Pitching Wedge - Ping Zing Red Dot.
Ping G Series Sand Wedge
52 Degree Top Flite Approach Wedge
Odyssey 2 Ball Putter.

Preferred golf***** - Noodle, Titleist Solo, Precept, Srixon - and the general "pre-owned" ***** picked up at the club for the wicked "water holes"!!

Cheerios and FORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 18th June 2008, 16:43   #15
Senior - BHPian

I live next to a golf course. I see lot of uncles and grand-dads there early in the morning.

Now that Shazikon said its interesting I have to give it a try.

And anyone been to Golf Links @ Tvm; one of the oldest course in the country I presume.

And I know Ajmat plays and I have heard of Mr.Wood (and Mrs. Woods )

shankar; thats too much of golf related tech words.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks