Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2018, 12:52   #1936
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by doxinboy View Post
hey folks, l am in desperate need for motivation, I'm 80kg. is there any app to help in motivating me. I need a community that will help me take one step at a time. I got gym membership, but never use it. Treadmill, bench and dumbell is gathering dust at home. I'm seriously in need of a gun on my head. please help me team
As suggested take small walks for more number of times everyday. Look for an opportunity to walk frequently. Climb stairs couple of times a day (dont do this too much, your knees might not be strong). Dont forget squats, lunges and other exercises to strengthen your legs.

One or two days a week (saturday/sunday) take walk for longer distances. Graduate to running slowly. Running at metabolic heart rate will reduce your weight more than running fast and that should not be that difficult (need to get a heart rate monitor). Now a days people get together and form running clubs. See if there is one in your vicinity.

Keep adding other exercises slowly like push ups, pull ups. I think gym is the best place to get motivated if you can work with someone, either a friend or personal trainer.

Last edited by srishiva : 14th June 2018 at 12:53.
Old 14th June 2018, 14:40   #1937
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hey folks, l am in desperate need for motivation, I'm 80kg. is there any app to help in motivating me. I need a community that will help me take one step at a time. I got gym membership, but never use it. Treadmill, bench and dumbell is gathering dust at home. I'm seriously in need of a gun on my head. please help me team
Register for a marathon or similar event. That can act as motivation to get up and run.
Since you are in Bangalore, you can look at cult fitness. They are different from the traditional gyms and have group workouts which takes away the boring aspect.
Old 14th June 2018, 16:46   #1938
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please get a blood test done for sugar and cholesterol and share the results with your family members.

That would be enough.

Rohan
Old 14th June 2018, 17:09   #1939
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Try making exercise 'fun' (don't go out for junk food and beers after a workout session though! enjoy it.
Thanks dude! I think there was an app that tells you discretely in a slow voice that a hungry zombie is following you right behind, that seem fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SajiNSalin View Post
doxinboy: Your best motivatin is GTO who reduced weight from 95 to 72. I have reduced from 87 to 75 in a span of 9 months. And I am 59 now and look forward to a very exciting retired life in a year's time.
Thanks mate! I need these story to really move my sorry @$$ will dig this thread. Man, I can do it. (punch me in the face)

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Running at metabolic heart rate will reduce your weight more than running fast..Keep adding other exercises slowly like push ups, pull ups. I think gym is the best place to get motivated if you can work with someone, either a friend or personal trainer.
Thanks bro! I will make a conscientious effort visit the gym tomorrow morning. That might uplift me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Register for a marathon or similar event. That can act as motivation to get up and run.
Since you are in Bangalore, you can look at cult fitness. They are different from the traditional gyms and have group workouts which takes away the boring aspect.
Thanks dude! yes, I will try that very soon, that might be a novelty and I might meet the likes. Cultfitness is far from where I live. Wish I could find a partner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Please get a blood test done for sugar and cholesterol
Thanks bro! Seriously, this should be it. My waist is getting so damn huge, Jesus! I need this.
Old 15th June 2018, 12:21   #1940
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
Wow. So many Dals and Fruits in your diet. Need to show this to my brother who doesn't eat even Dals and Fruits saying they have carbs and sugar too.
Like I said earlier, you need to live a little man .

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
But I had always been thinking, from my readings, that LCHF works only if it is strict.
Doing 90% LCHF is much easier than 100% LCHF. Might take 20% more time, but at least you'll be happier doing it. It made me go from 94 kilos to 72.

This is how I always was throughout my life:
The Weight Loss Thread-before.jpg

The Weight Loss Thread-before-2.jpg

This is what 5 years or so of neglect did. I still used to work out, but schedule was very long. Running two companies, a 2 hour daily commute and overindulgence:
The Weight Loss Thread-fat.jpg

Only got worse with time. I knew at 94 kilos that if I touch 100, it's the point of no return. I said to myself this is NOT who I want to be:
The Weight Loss Thread-real-fat.jpeg

And this is now
The Weight Loss Thread-now.jpg

That's a 31" waist (was almost 40" at peak):
The Weight Loss Thread-now-2.jpeg

When I get some free time from Official Reviews, I'll put up an Idiots Guide to losing weight - on the lines of this one.

Last edited by GTO : 15th June 2018 at 12:25.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th June 2018, 17:32   #1941
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Doing 90% LCHF is much easier than 100% LCHF. Might take 20% more time, but at least you'll be happier doing it. It made me go from 94 kilos to 72.
Nice inspiration, Rush May I ask how much time approximately it took in total for shedding the 22 kilos.

Just make sure you don't go back, as that has always been my weakness; sustained motivation. I once lost 10 kilo from 80 to almost 70 in 3 months by avoiding sugar and restricting extra calories and with mild interval training. But all was lost in another 9-12 months due to my lax attitude. I feel sustained motivation can be achieved through your concept of 80-90% LCHF.
Old 15th June 2018, 18:28   #1942
BHPian

Quote:
Like I said earlier, you need to live a little man .
GTO, this explains your weight loss. But how did the hairs grow back?
Old 16th June 2018, 11:40   #1943
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
May I ask how much time approximately it took in total for shedding the 22 kilos.
Averaged about a kilo a week.

Quote:
Just make sure you don't go back, as that has always been my weakness
Over a year now that I'm at the same level. The key is to make your LCHF meals enjoyable and thus, the plan sustainable. It took a lot of tweaking to arrive at a daily meal schedule that I enjoy, but now I look forward to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
GTO, this explains your weight loss. But how did the hairs grow back?
Age old trick : Wear it long & comb it front. I got tired of the spikes I've been wearing since 2 decades now.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2018, 12:37   #1944
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
That's a 31" waist (was almost 40" at peak):
Hard to even recognise the face in this last pic. Very good transformation.

One question about the 90% LCHF plan. Have heard some experts here suggest that a keto diet only works when the body is starved of carbohydrates. Have seen recommendations in this thread to avoid even milk for this reason. Based on that - wondering how you included fruits in your plan.
Old 16th June 2018, 13:10   #1945
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
One question about the 90% LCHF plan. Have heard some experts here suggest that a keto diet only works when the body is starved of carbohydrates. Have seen recommendations in this thread to avoid even milk for this reason. Based on that - wondering how you included fruits in your plan.
That was even my doubt and he has achieved a terrific rate of loss on top of the awesome total loss; maybe the cardio and weights aided a lot.
Old 16th June 2018, 14:49   #1946
BHPian

Is there a good south Indian veg diet plan for the Keto diet? Though not a veg, I started the Keto diet, the diet mostly focussed on non veg, increased my uric acid levels, and I had to stop the diet plan in between, though lost 2 kgs. Iam 162cm and currently weighs 62kg.
Old 16th June 2018, 18:08   #1947
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
- Lunch at 1 pm consisting of 4 chapatis along with some curry(chicken,fish)/dal. Rarely eat rice. Bit of Veggies infrequently.
Cut chapatis and include dal/veggies. Eat sauted/boiled veggies till you are done, believe me, it won't do harm. .
Quote:
- drink Real Fruit Juice regularly.
- eat junk food like burger twice a month.
- have chocolates 6 times a week. (reduced the quantity in last few months)
- Go to sleep at around 10:30-11pm.
Avoid any packaged food/drinks. Try to get fresh fruit drink.

You can have chocolates, but try the bitter ones, there is one by Amul, it is dark & bitter. I prefer it.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2018, 03:02   #1948
BHPian

Interesting thread. It is so motivating to see the transformations. I've been following IF for last 2 months now, though I've been following a fitness lifestyle for last 8-9 months, but yes IF has really helped me in accelerating my fitness goals.

I've lost around 5-6 kgs weight in past 2 months. But most importantly, I've lost around 2% body fat from my body. I work out 5-6 days a week, either weight training, bodyweight training, or sometimes 15k steps a day (at a stretch). I used to suffer from digestion issues sometimes, which has literally gone since I've been following IF. I usually follow 16/8 cycle, but I've observed recently I can go up to 18/6 as well. I try sticking to taking all my calories in 3 meals during the eating window.

I've also been eating at calorie defecit. Around 500 calories less than my maintenance calories. This is very important. If fat loss is your goal, being in calorie defecit is the key. I track my meals on healthify app, this app is closest to suggesting Indian cooked meals types than other more popular apps like myfitnesspal. It is not exact, but you reach the ballpark calories, which is fine.

IF has brought me back to my love of coffees. I drink black coffee without sugar and milk/creme during my fasting window only. Water and black coffee are my go to saviours during fasting period. I usually workout during the fasting periods only, and it brings out a different level of energy in me.

It is tough though. Eating right, measuring your macros, being at it all the times. Quitting drinking and smoking, junk food, processed food, etc. But it will all be worth it in the end. I'm right now in that wierd phase- not too fat but not exactly fit. Patience is the key. I've clicked my 'fat' before picture as a reference. Hopefully I'll be able to share my before and after pictures very soon with you guys.

Lot of guys want to get fit, but are not motivated enough to take action. Just remember your 'Why'. Why you want to achieve that fitness goal? If your why is strong enough, you will never quit. If you still feel lazy or not up for it, then change your why.

PS: Drinking water & keeping our body hydrated is very important. I drink 1 litre of water the moment I wake up, as the body has been dehydrated for 6-8 hours during our sleep. During the entire day, I ensure I drink 4-5 litres of water. Yes, you gotta go to loo quite often, but you're also relieving your body of all the toxins inside.

Cheers and all the best to everyone who are trying to get fit. Fitness is a way of life, not something to quit once you've achieved your fitness goals.
Old 17th June 2018, 09:52   #1949
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Hard to even recognise the face in this last pic. Very good transformation.
Thanks

Quote:
Have seen recommendations in this thread to avoid even milk for this reason. Based on that - wondering how you included fruits in your plan.
1 fruit a day is okay man. Don't want to make it extreme. I wanted a meal plan that is sustainable + enjoyable (100% LCHF or Keto aren't IMHO). As an example, if I now walk into a South Indian restaurant, I hog on medu vada (which I really love) instead of idli or dosa (thanks to Samurai for the tip).

Quote:
maybe the cardio and weights aided a lot.
Definitely. I work out almost every day because I thoroughly enjoy it. Sometimes, after working out for 6 days in a row, I have to remind myself to treat the Sunday as a break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingmachine View Post
IF has brought me back to my love of coffees. I drink black coffee without sugar
Likewise! Love black coffee, although I switched to decaf.

Quote:
But it will all be worth it in the end
You said it! Also, the key is to continually fine-tune your meal plan & schedule such that it becomes pleasurable. Else, you'll never be able to stick with it in the long run.

Quote:
Just remember your 'Why'
So true. One of my 'whys' was hitting the 40s where you cannot take your body for granted like you did in the 20s & 30s. Today, I'm happy to see that my treadmill + cycling capacity is better than it was 10 years ago, and my waist is 8" slimmer than 5 years ago.

Being unfit - especially as you age - can greatly affect the quality of life. Conversely, being fit makes you enjoy life a lot more. It also greatly improves productivity at work. Even at the end of a long hard day, I'm not really tired. I believe it was Richard Branson who said that the best way to improve productivity is to work out for an hour a day.

Last edited by GTO : 17th June 2018 at 09:54.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2018, 11:38   #1950
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As an example, if I now walk into a South Indian restaurant, I hog on medu vada ... instead of idli or dosa.
I can understand you giving dosa a miss. But that medu vada is a better alternative to idli is a little difficult to digest (pun unintended). Could you please elaborate.

On the physical and aesthetic transformation that you have undergone, I am mightily impressed. Goes on to reaffirm the old dictum: Where there is a will, there is (indeed) a way. The last photo is actually hard to believe, specially with that new hairstyle. Will certainly inspire many to get back what they have lost or lose what they have gained .

Most Viewed