Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2017, 12:04   #1786
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Is there a LCHF diet plan for someone who does not cook meat at home?
I am unsure of LCHF or meat part, but if your goal is to lose weight, please try boiled vegetables, pulses, soyabean, curd and lots of fruits. Avoid rice & roti completely for a week. Avoid any packaged food, even sausage, biscuits just anything which is packaged.
You will lose ~2 kgs and feel much less bloated. You *will* start feeling much better from 3rd day onwards.
Old 8th March 2017, 12:41   #1787
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Some people are not prone to adding fat, while some people add fat even if they smell tasty food. Everyone is different with respect to getting fat.
I assume you are taking some poetic license, because this is just not true. You can't get fat by smelling tasty food
In fact, if you dig a little deeper that's the main reason people are overweight and unfit: we lie to ourselves. We are conditioned to doing this since from a young age, we are told to eat well to stay healthy. And we are quite comfortable pointing fingers at that skinny guy we all know who eats like a horse and never puts on any weight. Whereas poor me, all I do is THINK of food and I bloat etc. etc.

At least on this thread, let's try and break that cycle. Unless you have some sort of genetic or acquired medical condition, you are as fat as you eat. Sometimes it isn't very obvious because you are also as fat as you have eaten. Your dietary habits may have changed for the better now but years of abuse and fat storage have taken their toll already.

Quote:
On the point about Highcarb vs LCHF - I can show people from both the factions who are fat, as well as show people from both the sides who look like Adonis. People from both the sides who have a healthy heart.
Do you mean low fat versus LCHF? I don't know any diet that promotes High carb and promises weight loss!

Quote:
The premise behind "success" of LCHF is: LCHF causes less wide fluctuations in your blood sugar and insulin, thus causing you to eat only when, and, as much as your body truly requires rather than what you brain desires.
I think this is it, in a nutshell. Once your body is used to low carb intake, it learns to survive on what is essential rather than give in to desire. And trust me it's a delicate balance- try relaxing the low-carb rule even for a single day and you will immediately find your body reacting- and not in a good way!

I used to ignore the advice of my father and others who said that it isn't fancy diets but a complete lifestyle change that guarantees weight loss and fitness. At least LCHF is a diet that can also allow you to enjoy eating stuff you like!
Old 8th March 2017, 14:04   #1788
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I am unsure of LCHF or meat part, but if your goal is to lose weight, please try boiled vegetables, pulses, soyabean, curd and lots of fruits.
Quite a few sources say that soyabean should be avoided, atleast as far as men are concerned. Check this out:

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/eati...tion-2870.html

Opinions
Old 9th March 2017, 09:14   #1789
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilmabraham View Post
https://www.dietdoctor.com/ has many vegetarian dishes.
Avoiding anything that has carb in it is so tough

Btw, not able to find many receipes for veggie dishes in above link

I discovered this website and is a simple and clean website for some nice info about LCHF in our context

http://indianlchf.com/
Old 9th March 2017, 16:22   #1790
BHPian

Hi, I have been averaging around 100gms of Protein, 45-50 gms of Carbs and 50 gms of Fat in my diet since the last 2 weeks with exercising >1 hr around 4-5 days a week.

Is this a sensible macro composition? I am losing weight but nowadays I feel too tired in the gym. Any advice?
Old 9th March 2017, 20:24   #1791
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
Hi, I have been averaging around 100gms of Protein, 45-50 gms of Carbs and 50 gms of Fat in my diet since the last 2 weeks with exercising >1 hr around 4-5 days a week.

Is this a sensible macro composition? I am losing weight but nowadays I feel too tired in the gym. Any advice?
I would suggest increase your intake of protein and fat. Also try and have a cup of black coffee (iced) 15-20 minutes before your workout, it will give you that boost and also help as a fat-burner.

I know many people would not agree with my suggestion, but you can also try Whey Protein just after your workout if you workout in the morning or evening and there is a gap between meals.
Old 9th March 2017, 21:07   #1792
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

The macro composition is fine. But that is too low a calorie in take.

100 grams protein - 400 calories
50 grams carbs - 200 calories
50 grams fat - 450 calories
Total - 1050 calories

Add to this your >1 hour exercise, no surprise you are feeling tired in the gym.

Increase your calorie in take to at least 2000, and keep the macro like 50% fat, 30% proten and 20% carbs. That should give you energy and at the same time weight loss.
Old 9th March 2017, 23:20   #1793
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaandBaaz View Post
I would suggest increase your intake of protein and fat. Also try and have a cup of black coffee (iced) 15-20 minutes before your workout, it will give you that boost and also help as a fat-burner.

I know many people would not agree with my suggestion, but you can also try Whey Protein just after your workout if you workout in the morning or evening and there is a gap between meals.
Thanks for the tip..I hv been drinkin black coffee in the first half of the day to have some energy to do work
Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
The macro composition is fine. But that is too low a calorie in take.

100 grams protein - 400 calories
50 grams carbs - 200 calories
50 grams fat - 450 calories
Total - 1050 calories

Add to this your >1 hour exercise, no surprise you are feeling tired in the gym.

Increase your calorie in take to at least 2000, and keep the macro like 50% fat, 30% proten and 20% carbs. That should give you energy and at the same time weight loss.
Thanks for the advice...so I should probably aim at around ~100gm fat, 150 gm protein and 100 gm carb? Wont that still be a high carb value? Also I am worried that if I eat more fat and not curb my carb I would not lose weight? I have been restricting <50gm carb.
Old 10th March 2017, 03:53   #1794
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks for the advice...so I should probably aim at around ~100gm fat, 150 gm protein and 100 gm carb? Wont that still be a high carb value? Also I am worried that if I eat more fat and not curb my carb I would not lose weight? I have been restricting <50gm carb.
Yes. In an ideal LCHF (for the perfect keto), you would keep carbs less than 10% (50 grams). Protein should be 20% to 30%, and the rest should be fat.

I suggested 20% carbs for the exercise. Take the carbs around the work out time. For example, if you exercise in the morning, you should take 70% of the carbs pre and post workout. The other two meals should be primarily fat and protein.

But again, this is based on my experience. When I limited carbs to 10% to 15%, I found that I was lacking energy for my workouts (I am a newbie triathlete). I did some reading and found that if I increased carbs a little and kept the consumption around exercise hours, it would fuel my workouts without affecting weight loss.

You should experiment with the combinations and arrive at the right percent that gives you a balance between energy for workout and weight loss goal.

Having said that, I have read about many athletes that have changed to a pure keto diet of less than 10% carbs.
Old 10th March 2017, 14:04   #1795
BHPian

A Bit about my u-turn back to fitness and weight loss.

About me: Male 41 years, 165 CM

Start December 2016:
Weight: 75-76KG
Waist size: 36 + inches and I was feeling really ashamed of my big pot belly and feeling of bloat and fatigue.
Activities: Was doing regular walks plus regular eating out from office canteen + twice a month Pizza and soft drinks and no control on anything.

I was in much better shape before then it slowly started deteriorating since year 2015-2016.

Itch to get back to better health and shape started by end of year 2016. Bought a Kinetic Smart Home Trainer for my bicycle (where we can mount the bicycle on top of the trainer, and can ride bicycle inside our home) and started training from Dec 2016. My regular cycling had stopped completely due to some minor accidents I faced during my week end rides. Home trainer provided a solution to my problem, and helped me resume my interest to do more cycling as my regular physical activity. I ride a BTwin Triban 3 roadbike. My trainer comes with smart sensors which can connect to mobile apps and have the stats and recording of key ride parameters (distance, speed, time, cadence, calories burned approx etc)

Also stumbled upon the LCHF - weight loss thread in TBHP during Feb 2017 and from then following that too, but have to mention that not 100% rigorously. But I stopped white sugar for a month now and also reduced the carbs intake. Still eating rice / regular meals in moderation alternate days.

March 2017 (current week):
Weight: 70 KG
Waist size: 34.5 inches and I can clearly see my belly fat getting reduced. Feeling much better and physically active.
Activities: Daily 30 min to 1 hour of indoor cycling on trainer (as time availability), 10 min ABS crunch, 2-3 times a week squats and push ups. complete rest once a week.
Diet: ZERO white sugar, reduced carb intake, watch-out-what-I-eat and overall reduced quantity. Haven't stopped anything completely other than white sugar and junk foods. My biggest challenges during the last 3 months were the more number of get togethers, parties, where I was worried more worried about them impacting my overall goal, but I think I got them over by now. Even on my Birthday during Feb, there was no cake this time.

Currently I met my intermediate target of weight loss and fitness. I may look at reducing 1-2 KG more if possible. Most importantly, I want to maintain this and do some different activities so that boredom doesn't settle in..
Old 10th March 2017, 15:33   #1796
BHPian

Firstly, Thanks for reading this guys and it would be of great help if you could help me out.

I am 21, 6.0 ft tall and weight about 110 kgs.
On a daily basis, I walk about 2 kms.

I have recently joined a gym nearby with the main objective of losing weight.
The gym I have joined doesn't have a full time trainer, as it is a gym of my housing society.

On my first day,
I warmed up with a few stretching exercises, and about 5 mins on the treadmill with the speed of 3.
Apart from this, I was able to do the following with about 60% of all my potential,
Treadmill - 20 mins. With an avg speed of 6.0
Cross trainer - 10 mins with an intensity of 8
Cycling - 20 mins. Level 8 with an speed of 15.5

In total I lost about 250 calories.

Keeping in mind that instant weight loss is my motive, please help me, by telling me what am I doing wrong or right? And how should I continue further with my plan.

I only eat 2 meals in a day. That is a total of 4 chappatis, 2 servings of vegetable, 1 serving of dal and 2 glasses of milk in my whole day.

Also, how many calories should I burn on order to lose my weight by atleast 5 kgs. I am willing to push myself very hard in order to achieve this.

Thank you so much for reading and helping me out.
Old 10th March 2017, 16:38   #1797
BHPian

Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhphog View Post
Firstly, Thanks for reading this guys and it would be of great help if you could help me out.

I am 21, 6.0 ft tall and weight about 110 kgs.
On a daily basis, I walk about 2 kms.

I have recently joined a gym nearby with the main objective of losing weight.
The gym I have joined doesn't have a full time trainer, as it is a gym of my housing society.

On my first day,
I warmed up with a few stretching exercises, and about 5 mins on the treadmill with the speed of 3.
Apart from this, I was able to do the following with about 60% of all my potential,
Treadmill - 20 mins. With an avg speed of 6.0
Cross trainer - 10 mins with an intensity of 8
Cycling - 20 mins. Level 8 with an speed of 15.5

In total I lost about 250 calories.

Keeping in mind that instant weight loss is my motive, please help me, by telling me what am I doing wrong or right? And how should I continue further with my plan.

I only eat 2 meals in a day. That is a total of 4 chappatis, 2 servings of vegetable, 1 serving of dal and 2 glasses of milk in my whole day.

Also, how many calories should I burn on order to lose my weight by atleast 5 kgs. I am willing to push myself very hard in order to achieve this.

Thank you so much for reading and helping me out.
From your post it seems to me that you are so desperate to loss weight by hook or crook in a very short time. Please pardon me if I've got it wrong.
But you have already realised and taken the first step towards weight loss. Hang in there and try to be consistent in your thoughts. Do not give up. Ever.

The logic behind losing weight might seem simple but it can never be achieved without proper understanding and discipline. A little cooperation from family is necessary as well.

Bullet points-

1. The foods you intake should have very less calories.
2. You need to burn the calories/fat that has already accumulated and hidden in your body.
3. At the same time you need to tone your muscles and stay hydrated.

Quote:
This is so wrong dude. Skipping meals will not help you lose weight. In fact it will lead to unnecessary fatigue, confusion, stress and add up weight later. When you skip your meal your body immediately starts to save up the existing fat so that it can be converted to energy later (because you are not feeding the body for energy). So by not eating your food you are only making the situation worse. Maybe others gurus in the forum can correct this explanation.

The idea is to intake quality food less in calories once every 2.5hrs.
By this way you are not only feeding your digestive system, but you are also relieved from fatigue and dehydration. Now when you exercise your body burns the stored fat for energy and eventually you are shredding those extra kilos gradually. All you are doing is just fooling your digestive system by consuming foods less in calories so that it does not start storing fat and by exercising you are forcing the body to bring out those hidden fats to even out for energy requirements. I hope you see the logic here.

Once in a while, eat to your belly's content. But remember to even it out in the next course of meal.
Starving yourself will lead to termination of your mission unconsciously. Even if not in a mood to exercise, just walk into the gym, sit down, chat and then come back. Never train your mind to skip schedule

Again, hang in there and be as consistent as possible. Do not push yourself. It will come in gradually. It is easier to let go of your mission saying there is always another day.
I hope it wasn't too much gyan there.

I wish you all the very best in your mission.

Last edited by petrolhead_chn : 10th March 2017 at 16:50. Reason: Added few points
Old 10th March 2017, 16:51   #1798
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You can lose 5Kgs in a month easily without starving and no exercise at all. And don't bother counting calories either.

First read this, and start reading all the posts and success stories since then.

And do look at somebody who was very successful in just 4 months.

It works very well, without much hardship. You just need some discipline.

Last edited by Samurai : 10th March 2017 at 16:52.
Old 10th March 2017, 17:02   #1799
Senior - BHPian

The secret to weight loss isn't burning calories, it's about consuming less calories. Cut portions drastically, Avoid unhealthy snacking: 'Snacking Kills'. Falling back on fruits, veggies and smoked meat and eat less carbs and use sugar substitutes like sucralose.

Secret to weight loss is diet and not exercise. You can do 40 mins cardio but if you hog after the work out you'll only get fatter.
Old 11th March 2017, 23:37   #1800
BHPian

Hi. Let me try and pick this through, it is quite interesting, and I get clients like this all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
I've got to share my story here. I'm about 5'11 and weight 78 kilos, which is about 3-4 kilos above normal. I used to weigh 86-87 kilos during the start of 2017.
Congrats on the weight loss. Question: how do you define "normal"?

Quote:
Home made food: cut by 10%
Fried snacks: cut by 80% (Samosa, Kachori, Mixture etc)
Milk: cut by 50% (Used to have 2 glasses of milk a day. It's one glass of milk and one 250-300 ml of green tea)
Curd: cut By 75% (Yes, I cut down on curd rice. Difficult for south Indians )

Fruits: increased by 300%

I've had no pizza in the last month and had half a chicken biriyani only once.
If you notice, it's not only cutting curd, or milk, or fried snacks or junk. It is that since you've become conscious and have made healthier choices all around, most importantly cutting out the sugars and the junk, you've been able to enjoy this new level of health.

Quote:
What I've added to my routine:
Playing Tennis for an hour everyday. (Making the best advantage of the flexible college timings)

What I've gained:

Ability to cycle 37 km in 2.5 hours. Before '17, I couldn't cycle 10 kms without getting tired.
An ability to climb 15 floors without getting tired.

A leaner body, and a greater feeling self. I've made a good start, I'm hoping to lose more weight.
While your cardio has improved a lot, I hope you come to realise the importance of increasing strength and muscle as well.

Now, here is what I think is weird about your post:

Quote:

A trigger:
My father who is half a century old suffered a heart attack in November, which was surprising for a very fit person with no high cholestrol, hypertension and who very rarely consumes non-veg.
Let's take a step back and examine what you've said here.

1. He is very fit. I would take this information to assume that he is active, probably plays a sport or goes to the gym to lift weights, atleast with moderate frequency, and that he's not overweight or chubby, and his waistline behaves itself. Also that he takes care of what he eats most times, he doesn't smoke cigarettes and that he doesn't work in a place that exposes him to harmful conditions. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

2. No high cholesterol: Was he tested regularly before the attack? What was the HLD, LDL breakup?

3. Very rarely consumes non-veg: I would take this to assume he doesn't consume any sort of flesh for 95% of his meals.

Quote:
We did our research and came across what we've been told for a long time: Go vegan.
How then, when you father already had "no high levels of cholesterol" and "rarely consumed non-veg", does turning vegan help him?

Quote:
Here's a video that can sum up our learning:

Also, Dr. BM Hegde's talks are great. He's a legend.
If you watch this video carefully and actually listen, the whole point of the arterial disintegration starts from inflammation caused by LDLs that enter the sub-endothelial space.

What is LDL? Low-density-lipoprotein, more commonly known as the 'bad cholesterol'. What propagates LDL, and the cholesterol breakup to move towards higher LDLs? Certainly not meats or saturated fats or good fats or even olive oils. It is the PUFAs or the vegetable oils that we've been told are healthy. It is the sugars, and the junk food loaded on refined carbs, trans fats, PUFAs.

Every research on LCHF or Atkins shows LDL being way down post diet intervention, and HDL being way up. Infact, LCHF shows every single biomarker measured being better or at minimum no worse. No vegetarian or vegan diet can claim anything even remotely close. Sure, cardio improves on vegetarian diets but those diets don't include vegetarian biryani, or vegetarian pizzas or burgers either.

Last edited by Eddy : 12th March 2017 at 00:25. Reason: Quoting a video hampers readability for our small screen users.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks